The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Trifexis Safe??

Default Is Trifexis Safe??

Our news media in Atlanta is running a story tomorrow night on the safety, or lack there of, of Trifexis. The teasers they've been running hasn't given the product name but I've been told the story is about the death of dogs on Trifexis. I used Frontline Plus for a few months and didn't have much luck. However, since switching to Trifexis, I've yet to see a flea or tick. Having said that, IF Trifexis is unsafe, I definetly don't want to use it. So, anyone have any feedback? And IF Trifexis is unsafe, what can I use besides Frontline Plus?

I would wait for the story. The product u mentioned is a heart worm preventive that also works for fleas but not ticks.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Trifexsis is a combination of milbemycin (Interceptor) and Comfortis. Milbemycin has been used in dogs for heartworm prevention for more than 20 years. Likewise Comfortis has been on the market for several years. Both products have a long history of safety. That a dog died who was given Trifexsis says nothing about the cause of death.

Thanks Wayne and EdA!! I was aware that's it's a heart worm/flea preventative. I've also not seen any fleas while using the drug...which has been a plus. I was a little concerned after hearing of multiple deaths in our area; however, I trust EdA much more than our local ATL media. Thanks again!!

It's not labeled for ticks but I haven't seen any on mine. Many of our clients haven't had tick issues while using trifexis either

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    Trifexsis is a combination of milbemycin (Interceptor) and Comfortis. Milbemycin has been used in dogs for heartworm prevention for more than 20 years. Likewise Comfortis has been on the market for several years. Both products have a long history of safety. That a dog died who was given Trifexsis says nothing about the cause of death.
    http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local...-deaths/nbpSg/
    Terrie Tomlinson
    Frontier Retrievers
    HR Five Star Winning Sue SH
    Young Guns: Frontier's True Grit With a Cause "Rooster" and Frontier's Gossip Girl With A Cause "Gabby"
    Boykin Spaniels: Max, Scarlet, Rummy, Jewels, Bella, Molly, and Piper

In Memory:
    HRCH Frontier's Cherokee Rebel MH (5-9-2000 to 12-6-2011)
    Moonstone's Little Girl Found MH (3-20-1998 to 5-2-2008)
    Calebri's Take the Money and Run JH (3-3-2008 to 6-20-2012)

Argh! I hate stories like this. There are absolutely no facts in this story. All hear say. Facts, I want facts that say because this dog was given Trifexis it died because Trifexis caused .... whatever, liver failure, auto immune hemolytic anemia, kidney failure.

It is an owner making a leap from well I gave my dog this and it dies 3 days later. It is not a researcher going in and finding the cause and effect relationship.

There is even a facebook page dedicated to this supposed evil called Trifexis. They are trying to get a class action lawsuit going against Elanco. If you try to talk reason to them, they call you out and ban you.
    Kathleen

"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you're not, in fact, just surrounded by a**holes" -William Gibson

Wheelhorse...you are correct about the FB site. I'm not a FB user but tried discussing the perceived problems of Trifexis with the originator of the site but didn't get very far. I was basically told that if I disagreed with their page then I should stay away or be deleted as spam. I then tried discussing the product via email but didn't get anywhere with that either. I would LOVE for Jim Strickland, WSB-TV investigator, to discuss this with EdA and other knowledgable vets as opposed to listening to someone that doesn't know anymore about the product than I do. All they know is their dog died and they need something/someone to blame. Did the report from UGA's Vet School not clearly state that "drug toxicity" was not the cause of death?

Wheelhorse is a vet also.....so she is not just spewing an opinion
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com

Thanks Bridget-I was unaware that Wheelhorse was a vet as well. I hope I didn't imply that she was just spewing an opinion bc that wasn't my intent at all. When I was referring to Jim discussing the product with people that don't know any more than I, I was referring to the creator of the FB page. So, if my post was taken that way I truly apologize. Having said that, would Wheelhorse, EdA or any other vet be willing to discuss Trifexis with Jim at WSB-TV? It's my understanding, that bc of the stir his clip has caused, that he may be doing another episode on Trifexis.