The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Barking in the trailer

Default Barking in the trailer

How do all of you keep the dogs quiet in your dog trailer? You can't have bark collars on them all of the time. Some dogs bark regardless wether they have a bark collar on or not.

How many dogs do you have ?
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired

I have a come to Jesus meeting with them. I can't stand it when a dog barks in a kennel.
    The foundation to a great retriever is obedience.
    Firestorms Full Throttle Chevy aka Callie-Roo 7/5/2007 - 10/25/2013 I miss you every day
    Proud owner of Kona's Surfer Girl, aka Loki.

Just as an aside--mine are normally fairly quiet on the truck--last wk., I was driving back to VA from Cheraw when my young dog (6 mos.) started barking. She was in one of the two boxes on the back of the truck, and this is the first time I've ever heard any dog barking while I was driving. So, I pulled over and checked to see what was wrong. When I'd aired right before I left, I'd tossed 2 dead ducks on the back of the truck, behind the boxes, and apparently one had fire ants on it, which had gotten in her box!
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

Wayne, seven dogs and usually one or two are worst than others. It is hard to detect which ones are barking although one is a chronic barker.

There was a previous thread about a solution to put in a squirt bottle to spray in their face when barking. I will look for it.
    Wayne Nutt

Look for thread titled "barking puppy". Justice Dog posted the info about the spray. White vinegar and water. I don't know how to copy and paste on my iPhone.
    Wayne Nutt

White vinegar and water. 1/3rd vinegar to 2/3rds water to start. May have to increase % of vinegar based on persistence, but I keep the same level for a week or two, and don't alter it if the barking is decreasing. Put inside of a strong squirt gun or sprayer. The $.99 sprayer at home depot DOESN'T do it. Get the $4-5 one. Hit them right in the face with it. It takes their breath away. May sting a little but don't damage them. Be consistent and as persistent as they are.

They will smell like vinegar for awhile, but who cares?
    "Force fetch isn't about retrieving as much as it is conditioning a dog to handle pressure, in a very controlled environment. It's about putting a dog in the position of having to figure out how to turn off pressure by finding the correct response. This translates into numerous areas in training." Sharon Potter.

Quote Originally Posted by Dman View Post
    White vinegar and water. 1/3rd vinegar to 2/3rds water to start. May have to increase % of vinegar based on persistence, but I keep the same level for a week or two, and don't alter it if the barking is decreasing. Put inside of a strong squirt gun or sprayer. The $.99 sprayer at home depot DOESN'T do it. Get the $4-5 one. Hit them right in the face with it. It takes their breath away. May sting a little but don't damage them. Be consistent and as persistent as they are.

They will smell like vinegar for awhile, but who cares?
    I tried this a few weeks back on a new puppy that liked to bark. At first it seemed like the solution to my problem, but it only worked for a day or two and then I would have to keep mixing a stronger mixture with the same results. He finally stated licking it off the inside of his crate and it seemed as though he was starting to enjoy it.....haha.
    I havent used it since!

I have used a loud radio. It is very effective. Now I am so deaf I don't even hear them bark most of the time. Ear plugs will effectively recreate my solution. In hotel parking lots I use bark collars.
    Mark Land