The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone had success with this issue?

I had same problem on young dog I have now. My issue started on land blind first leaving line yelping an then she did same thing on water. Only on water it got worse as in vocal the whole time she was swim. I attribute it to pressure on back with burn till going from line an on both land and water blind training. An she did it with over and back cast on sit. She got to were she made sound with no pressure with collar so I knew I had to fix the issue. I think it got worse on water cause she's a barn burner an the water slowing her down. Now first thing first I taught quiet command when she was a pup an would bark in crate which I open crate an gripped her snout an command quiet. I teach all my dogs that. An on command they stop. They might make a muffle growl but they are quiet on command. Now what I did to fix the issue ( did this first on land to get her to understand the correction an then did on water later) was put dog on long lead an as soon as she made sound leaving the line I stopped her with lead walk out to her (which wasn't but a few steps) with NO commands at this point an gripped her snout an commanded quiet and took her to truck an put her in box with an gripped on snout with quiet command again. An repeated it time an time again. Did same thing with her sitting frontal to fix over casts and back casts. Didn't take long on overs and backs cause she knew from back casts from line. Then went to water an did same thing with only change was on over casts and back casts I stopped her short from bank so I could pull her to me with lead if water was deep. As I was pulling her in if I had to was I commanded quiet an she knew at that point her snout was going to get pinch down on. I did take her to truck an put her in box with grip snout an quiet command as I did on land on water training. After many training sessions of that she stopped yelping or barking on any cast I gave her. Oh I left out when I started this training. I put a shackle bird at the blind an let her have it on first back from line so that her drive to get bird would amp her up. So when she went to dog box an not get the reward of live bird as we do on all other training I think was the icing on the cake. Did same on other cast training. I know this was a long reply an I'm sorry for that but it was only way I could explain it. Hope this will help.
    James Aces Jewels SH "AJ" Retired
    Sasha Bring Me Wings Of Teal JH "Sasha"

Thank you for the input!

Bridget, I do think this is a similar situation to your friend's. Excitement + anticipation barking. I thought perhaps if he taught the dog to "speak", he could then add the word "Quiet" teaching the dog to turn on and turn off the noise with a specific word, then when the noise starts during the cast, he could say "quiet". I don't know...
    Last edited by Jennifer Henion; 11-12-2013 at 08:49 PM.

Your welcome.
    Jennifer just make sure that there's no pressure with collar when he is giving quiet command like your talking about as it might just magnify the issue. I think collar could be added later to enforce the command. Just go easy with it.
    James Aces Jewels SH "AJ" Retired
    Sasha Bring Me Wings Of Teal JH "Sasha"

I think You need to look at a situation like this and ask yourself? Was the episode really that big of an issue or perhaps were you just running under some judges that don't agree with your particular style of dog. A lot of people get to Master tests; and start to focus their training on little inconsistencies that a particular set of judges had a issue with on a particular day. It drives them and their dogs nuts; when they should be focusing on balanced and solid training. It's a hard pill to swallow, but judges are people; and sometimes the easiest thing; is to realize certain people will never like certain dogs; and they're going to penalize you for certain pet-peeves regardless. So it would be just easier not run under that judge again. Now if vocalization is truly an issue; yes it should be addressed; I've seen trainers nick "and say quite" when a dog is continuously noisy; or run said dog with a bark-collar (on land)until he learn to maintain silence. Still honestly a single bark on a cast; doesn't appear to be a big deal (I wasn't there so I don't know); but unless it was very repetitive and very annoying; I might be opening my little black book on a couple of judges; and continuing with my training as if that particular test never happened
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 11-13-2013 at 10:44 AM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget Bodine View Post
    is it a golden? I know of a golden bitch that does this also , I guided the owner through basics and the bitch titled MH at 3+ yrs without ever having failed a test at all three levels, also got a QAA jam. The owner is NOT collar happy and neither am I . The bitch only does it on water blinds. She IS a high rolling dog and it is like she is frustrated at being stopped and not able to get there fast enough.
    The dog you're talking about barks obnoxiously on water blinds and she'll do it in a land (drill) scenario also. I proved it, and I proved the cause, which is frustration.

I also proved to the owner how to fix it, on land at least. She never carried what we talked about over to the water so I'm sure the dog is still giving her the middle paw on every water blind.

You're right though, as long as judges allow this kind of behavior in a MH level dog it's really no big deal. Gracie has 5 straight passes and she BARKS...

It's way beyond a little yip on a cast. She's a nice dog. It's a shame the behavior never got addressed in basics, like it should have.
    Darrin Greene

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Henion View Post
    What did you do to try to solve it? Or did you just let it go?
    she's tried a half dozen different ways to stop it, attrition, yelling quiet and I'm sure there were others. it hasn't gotten fixed because the owner isn't willing to do what needs to be done to fix it. it involved a level of disciplined obedience that she's just not willing to instill in the dog. she's too busy adding letters to the back of the dogs name and judges in every venue seem to allow it.

if she barked like that on a hunt your partners would want to shoot her for it. it's really obnoxious.
    Darrin Greene

I've got a 14 week old puppy that that yelps when she jumps in the water and has since she was 8 weeks at our first water retrieve. She has a big water entry for a pup. I hope she doesn't have vocal issues as she gets older!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DarrinGreene View Post
    The dog you're talking about barks obnoxiously on water blinds and she'll do it in a land (drill) scenario also. I proved it, and I proved the cause, which is frustration.

I also proved to the owner how to fix it, on land at least. She never carried what we talked about over to the water so I'm sure the dog is still giving her the middle paw on every water blind.

You're right though, as long as judges allow this kind of behavior in a MH level dog it's really no big deal. Gracie has 5 straight passes and she BARKS...

It's way beyond a little yip on a cast. She's a nice dog. It's a shame the behavior never got addressed in basics, like it should have.
    She stopped coming up here immediately after swim by so I am not sure when it started, and the last time I trained with her (prob 2 yrs ago) it was just a few barks on the whistle in the water. SO what was your advice to her?
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com

Currently middle of the "Great" Plains- Ord NE

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Henion View Post
    Thank you for the input!

Bridget, I do think this is a similar situation to your friend's. Excitement + anticipation barking. I thought perhaps if he taught the dog to "speak", he could then add the word "Quiet" teaching the dog to turn on and turn off the noise with a specific word, then when the noise starts during the cast, he could say "quiet". I don't know...
    By giving the dog the "quiet" command, you are drawing attention to the issue that may have otherwise been ignored by judges. Guess what will happen if you give a command during a test that is ignored? Don't put yourself in that situation! As to a solution, I don't have one
    Raina Anderson WWW.FIREHOUSELABS.COM

According to this BMI chart, I am too short !!!

Quote Originally Posted by firehouselabs View Post
    By giving the dog the "quiet" command, you are drawing attention to the issue that may have otherwise been ignored by judges. Guess what will happen if you give a command during a test that is ignored? Don't put yourself in that situation! As to a solution, I don't have one

No, I don't think anyone would yell "Quiet" at a hunt test. I hope not. I was speaking about training and how to communicate to the dog to be quiet during an actual cast. The dog must differentiate between the sound and anything else the owner may be trying to communicate about.