RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Pump shotgun

6K views 31 replies 19 participants last post by  Daddyhuck 
#1 ·
#2 ·
the Winchester SXP is more than likely a lower cost version of the old Winchester 1300 shotgun...not sure which 870 you have (Express or the Wingmaster ), never had problems with my Wingmasters, sold my Express last year...The Browning BPS pump is an excellent gun but not inexpensive as pump shotguns go, it also has a little more kick to it than I like

#7 ·
For a grand you might as well buy the SX3, I don't personally own one but a lot of my hunting partners do and they all love it. I shoot a Nova, never had a problem except when shooting Fiocchi waterfowl loads, but I'm not the only person with that problem.

#11 · (Edited)
I know so many people who have bought new 870s and all have had problems, the old ones are great. I bought a SX3 autoloader 4 years ago and can't say enough good things about it. Over 6000 shells through it without a jam. If the winchester pump is anything like their autoloader buy it. My main hunting buddy has a Benelli Nova and it has been a great gun for him. I would see what feels and shoulders best between the Nova and SXP and go that way. Fit is important, get the one that points where you look.

#13 ·
Get a used 870 Wingmaster 3" magnum in good shape. Try to find one with a 28" vent rib barrel. Those 870 Expresses sound pretty cheap, Gooser wrote up what it would take to improve the Express in an earlier post. Probably easier just to get a Wingmaster. The 3" isn't a deal breaker, you can do just as well with a 2 3/4", you just have a little more flexability with the 3".

#14 ·
Most folks don't shoot an 870 enough for it to get broken in. :) Takes a few thousand rounds before they get tuned to your shoulder and hands. Had mine 20+ years. Replaced the extractors twice and polished the brass build up in the chamber a few times and that's about it.

#16 ·
I know the gun enthusiast in you knows the Ithaca 37 was designed by John M Browning, hence the twin slide bars, top tang safety,and bottom ejection......just like the BPS

#17 ·
I will tell you all a story.

my Winchester model 12 skeet.
20 gauge gun.
Excellent mechanical condition.

It will ALWYS jam ( can not eject spent shell from chamber)
when shooting ammo that has steel bases. The bases that are steel, then brass plated to look like brass.

If you shoot quality Ammo with Brass bases, The gun functions flawlessly.

the expansion and contraction between brass and steelcombined with a right tolerance chamber causes the issue.

so, don't jump on Remington to badly.

I refuse to shoot Walmart cheap promo ammo through any pump or auto loader.

Just me,, go ahead and have at me now, I kin take it! :):)/)

#25 ·
I will tell you all a story.

my Winchester model 12 skeet.
20 gauge gun.
Excellent mechanical condition.

It will ALWYS jam ( can not eject spent shell from chamber)
when shooting ammo that has steel bases. The bases that are steel, then brass plated to look like brass.

If you shoot quality Ammo with Brass bases, The gun functions flawlessly.

the expansion and contraction between brass and steelcombined with a right tolerance chamber causes the issue.

so, don't jump on Remington to badly.

I refuse to shoot Walmart cheap promo ammo through any pump or auto loader.

Just me,, go ahead and have at me now, I kin take it! :):)/)
and a quick butt-slap on the ground solves the issue and you don't worry about breaking it... See guys picking at their Benneli's so carefully as to not scratch them with their pocket knife while out duck hunting...lol...If it's for shooting ducks and can't be tossed in the pickup bed with wet dogs I don't want to own it.

#21 ·
Unless they've changed something in the newer models you can't go wrong with the Browning BPS. Had mine for 10 years. No issues. Recently upgraded to the Browning Maxus just because I wanted an autoloader. No complaints there either but we are still into our first season...

#24 ·
Tony
For the person you gave the gun to.

Have them Google this:

"winchester universals stick in chamber"

Spend a day reading about the problem in most ALL makes and actions. pumps auto's, some doubles.

Its is SO sO tempting to purchase cheap ammo... There is a reason I reload,,, the last reason is to save money.

Gooser

#26 · (Edited)
To each his own.

duck hunt with mine often. But have Been taught to not abuse, and that reliability with regards to a firearm may be something that your life depends on.

Would enjoy watching you butt slap the stock on the ground with your 1100 or other Auto loader.

Hows that work for ya?

#27 ·
To each his own.

duck hunt with mine often. But have Been taught to not abuse, and that reliability with regards to a firearm may be something that your life depends on.
Ones' definition of use vs. abuse differs from another. Is my .44 going to be put in the back with the dogs? no, it's a valuable gun and not made for abuse just like most "tinkerbell" shotguns.

#28 ·
I don't shoot pumps but a lot of the bums I hunt with do. The best of the bunch is an older Ithaca featherlight in 16 gauge.

#32 ·
Anyone hunt this gun Winchester SXP http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=615058. Looking for a new pump my 870 I got 3 yrs. ago has failed me too many times. I've sent it back to the factory 3 different times and still having problems with it. What's a good pump to hunt with in personal experience?
I hunt this gun. This is the second year with it. I'm very pleased. Last year was my first year to hunt but it hasn't let me down. I wanted something I could use in almost any situation so being chambered for all 3 sizes and choke tubes included, made it a good buy for me. Kills lots of ducks and dove thus far.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.