The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Taste of the Wild dog food?

Default Taste of the Wild dog food?

Wanting to know what those who feed or have fed Taste of The Wild dog food think of it. I have a four month old ylm and he is pushing 50 pounds on Iams large breed puppy food. I have been told by a few people that the TOTW food is great, but would like to hear more of the experiences fro lab people.
    Tried a search, but have to go through a lot of posts to find anything about it and then it does not say a lot about it. AT TSC it was very close in price with the Iams large breed food, but i think the bag held a little more.

Might want to try this victor dog food. 40 # for 30 to 40 dollars a bag and real good food. Heres where they sell it near Clinton Fannon Animal Hospital

11.1 miles

5009 Clinton Highway
    Knoxville TN 37912

Phone: 865-689-5000 Here's victor website to look at ingredients and blends http://www.victordogfood.com/

It's a good quality grain-free food. Rated quite high on ddogfoodadvisor.com I've been feeding it for years. Dogs love it and many others report difficult skin and coat conditions improved dramatically on it. You actually feed a little less TOTW than you would of other brands. Compare the KCAL's per cup to your old brand and adjust accordingly.

My dogs were on Taste of the Wild for a while. They loved it and it worked well for them. Price was good also.
    Becky
    Life is Good . . . Do what you like - Like what you do.

Never fed it to a puppy. Check the calcium level and calcium to phosphorous ratio (aim for close to 1:1). See recent thread on calcium recommendations for large breed puppies. Just need to control that pup's growth. I've fed it to a bitch post-whelp to help her with her blown coat; it did improve it. Now I feed the Costco grain free salmon and sweet potato to all adults; it's similar to TOTW.

We fed it with good results but stopped because of recall possibilities due to the manufacturer. Went back to Euk who recently had a recall. Go figure.
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

Mike Whitworth

We feed TOTW Pacific Stream Formula to 2 of our AWS (the two that show and hunt). They both have great coats.
    Carolina American Water Spaniels

HRCH UH Carolina's Duck Gumbo MHA SHR RN WDS CGC TDI (Gumbo) 1000 Point Club
    UH HR GCH Carolina's Wild March Hare SH JHR RAE OA OAJ WDX CGC TDI (Bunny)
    HR BISS GCH Carolina's Running with the Hare SH JHR RN WDX CGC TDI (Blew)
    Carolina's Tale of the Hare (Bea)

I feed it to all 3 of mine. They love it and their coats are healthy and shiny. Stools are healthy too. Canine stream to the non working dog, wetlands formula (high protein comparable to performance) to my trial dog and high prairie puppy to the pup. I just wish they sold them in a 40# bag!
    God bless!- Jamee

When you stop having fun, it's time to quit!!
    "If your dog doesn't like someone you probably shouldn't either"- Author unknown

My team:
    HR Dr. J's RxRated High Caliber JH "Kali"
    White Oak's Change of Plans "Bodee"
    The rookie- Jamstar's Hot Tubb "Cuzzi"
    #1 cheerleader: SJ's Gotta-Lot-A Go Lil "Jake"

Gone but never forgotten:
    HR Stevie-Joe's Super "Star"- my heart dog, I love you baby
    October 24, 2001-January 6, 2013

Banned

Best to wait on that food until full grown.

These are both considered a 6 star food (best there is) by Dog Food Analysis:

TOTW Pacific Stream Formula is considered a 5 star food: http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_f...t=1286&cat=all

I'm not endorsing Dog Food Analysis or their rankings, but they do try explain what things they look for in a higher quality food and what constitutes a lower quality food. Even if you don't rely on their rankings, the information in the review is good to know.
    FCR "Ransom" - Coastalight Toodoggone Much CD MH *** (2012 MN Qualifier and All-Age pointed!)
    FCR "Legend" - Ryvertowns More Than A Memory CD *** (QAA and 2011 FCRSA Field Trial Trophy Winner)
    LAB "Traitor" - All Out Gone to The Dark Side (QAA and Nat'l Derby List)