RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Taste of the Wild dog food?

21K views 26 replies 21 participants last post by  Al Bianchi 
#1 ·
Wanting to know what those who feed or have fed Taste of The Wild dog food think of it. I have a four month old ylm and he is pushing 50 pounds on Iams large breed puppy food. I have been told by a few people that the TOTW food is great, but would like to hear more of the experiences fro lab people.
Tried a search, but have to go through a lot of posts to find anything about it and then it does not say a lot about it. AT TSC it was very close in price with the Iams large breed food, but i think the bag held a little more.

#3 ·
It's a good quality grain-free food. Rated quite high on ddogfoodadvisor.com I've been feeding it for years. Dogs love it and many others report difficult skin and coat conditions improved dramatically on it. You actually feed a little less TOTW than you would of other brands. Compare the KCAL's per cup to your old brand and adjust accordingly.

#5 ·
Never fed it to a puppy. Check the calcium level and calcium to phosphorous ratio (aim for close to 1:1). See recent thread on calcium recommendations for large breed puppies. Just need to control that pup's growth. I've fed it to a bitch post-whelp to help her with her blown coat; it did improve it. Now I feed the Costco grain free salmon and sweet potato to all adults; it's similar to TOTW.

#6 ·
We fed it with good results but stopped because of recall possibilities due to the manufacturer. Went back to Euk who recently had a recall. Go figure.

#7 ·
We feed TOTW Pacific Stream Formula to 2 of our AWS (the two that show and hunt). They both have great coats.

#8 ·
I feed it to all 3 of mine. They love it and their coats are healthy and shiny. Stools are healthy too. Canine stream to the non working dog, wetlands formula (high protein comparable to performance) to my trial dog and high prairie puppy to the pup. I just wish they sold them in a 40# bag!

#10 ·
These are both considered a 6 star food (best there is) by Dog Food Analysis:

TOTW Pacific Stream Formula is considered a 5 star food: http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/showproduct.php?product=1286&cat=all

I'm not endorsing Dog Food Analysis or their rankings, but they do try explain what things they look for in a higher quality food and what constitutes a lower quality food. Even if you don't rely on their rankings, the information in the review is good to know.

#12 ·
Thanks for the replys. I went to Tractor Supply last week and looked at TOTW in the 35# bag. The price sticker was around $35. Checked their website yesterday and it was $47 a bag, a lot of difference. Guess someone put the wrong price on the shelf or got the bags in the wrong place. I was just looking for a food in a bigger bag than the Iams 30# bag, it does not last a month like Diamond used to for one dog.
Of course I want a quality food for my dog.

#22 ·
I did LOTS of research when my dog was young and seemed to be having ?allergy problems. Worked with my vet, tried prescription hydolyzed protein foods with little effect. My research led me to grain free products with new protein sources she had not been exposed to. Cost was an issue as in most of our decisions. TOTW won hands down on all my comparison factors, AND the dog thrived on it! I continue to feed TOTW alternating flavors and utilize the slightly lower protein/fat level flavors in winter when we are not training regularly. Here in Maine TOTW is readily available both at chain stores and doggie boutiques. Price varies and I shopped around to find best deal. Recently I have read more concerns re Diamond products. I keep all packaging until last bit of kibble is eaten so I have lot# etc., but there has been no issues with TOTW in the past years I have used it. Skin and coat are fantastic, ears are clear and stool is soft, formed and minimal amounts. I do add probiotic enzymes(prozyme)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.