The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lab Coat Question

Default Lab Coat Question

I have a 17 month old BLM. HE had a very thick and oily coat in the summer. The undercoat was very dense and evident. Coat also had an oily/musty smell to it.

He started blowing coat back in September, and his coat now is slicker with noticeably less undercoat.

It's almost like he has his summer coat in the winter, and winter in the summer. Is this even possible?

I did switch from Eukanuba 30/20 Performance to Pro Plan Performance around that time. Would that make that big of a difference?

Thanks for any ideas.
    Wildlife and Outdoor Photography

http://www.ericrutherford.net

Corn is for goats and like that-dogs not so much.

Trying to help out in the worst way regards

Bubba
    There are three classes of people: those who see...those who see when shown...and those who do not see. - Leonardo da Vinci

Seems like your dog may have blown its coat in the summer thus looks thicker
    A cold nose feels good on a hot day.....
    Majestic Oaks Liberty Belle JH

A Lab's coat should never have an odor to it and shouldn't feel oily to the touch. The food could very well have made the difference.

Sometimes my guys blow coat late summer and it seems that the undercoat is slow to come back in.

Meredith

Is the dog kenneled or in the house?
    One Shooter One Spaniel One Retriever

Quote Originally Posted by mwk56 View Post
    A Lab's coat should never have an odor to it and shouldn't feel oily to the touch. The food could very well have made the difference.

Sometimes my guys blow coat late summer and it seems that the undercoat is slow to come back in.

Meredith
    I guess I could contribute the odor to 10-12 hours a day in dog box and daily water work during the summer. I almost always dry him off and let him air out before putting him up. Just seemed like the water really rolled off and the coat had a oily feel. It's not that's it's harsh and dry now, just doesn't seem like it did in the summer, and overall lacks the same density in the undercoat.

Polmaise, he spends most of his day on my truck. Sleeps in a crate in the garage......eats breakfast with me in the kitchen
    Wildlife and Outdoor Photography

http://www.ericrutherford.net

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Duck View Post
    Polmaise, he spends most of his day on my truck. Sleeps in a crate in the garage......eats breakfast with me in the kitchen
    Humidity .....ain't no air in them places
    One Shooter One Spaniel One Retriever

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Corn is for goats and like that-dogs not so much.

Trying to help out in the worst way regards

Bubba
    Yep and corn creates heat and when you get hot what do you do? You loose your coat.
    The foundation to a great retriever is obedience.
    Firestorms Full Throttle Chevy aka Callie-Roo 7/5/2007 - 10/25/2013 I miss you every day
    Proud owner of Kona's Surfer Girl, aka Loki.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Duck View Post
    I guess I could contribute the odor to 10-12 hours a day in dog box and daily water work during the summer. I almost always dry him off and let him air out before putting him up. Just seemed like the water really rolled off and the coat had a oily feel. It's not that's it's harsh and dry now, just doesn't seem like it did in the summer, and overall lacks the same density in the undercoat.

Mine are blowing summer coat right now. Keep brushing out the dead undercoat and give it a few weeks. The winter coat will be coming in.
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

Quote Originally Posted by metalone67 View Post
    Yep and corn creates heat and when you get hot what do you do? You loose your coat.
    I thought that "Corn makes whiskey.........Whiskey makes my baby feel a little........"