The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hunting alone

Default Hunting alone

OK, there was a thread recently about hunting alone. My search has not been productive. Anybody???

JD
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift

I hunt alone most of the time.
    Well, Trap and me!

What's the thread about?

On POTUSDOGS or dogpotus
    Last edited by M&K's Retrievers; 11-13-2013 at 08:06 PM.
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

Mike Whitworth

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Teahan View Post
    I hunt alone most of the time.
    Well, Trap and me!

What's the thread about?
    Yep me too, myself & one of the 4 dogs
    Jesse

HR SHR JR'S GUNNY DOG "ERMEY"
    SR JR'S MARSH MANGLING MINDY
    JR'S LNR THICKET THRASHING TRIXIE

I prefer hunting solo...especially when in the rugged backcountry with nothing but a bow, bivy, minimal gear and a backpack. Catch a lot of grief from family but I don't remember asking them if it was okay. lol I do like waterfowling with a great friend and his youngster just to watch the excitement of the boy while me and pops land 'em.
    Last edited by kjrice; 11-13-2013 at 09:51 PM.
    The problems of today cannot be solved the with same of thinking that created them.

Quote Originally Posted by M&K's Retrievers View Post
    On POTUSDOGS or dogpotus
    You're right Mike. It was on dogpotus. The fact that I was confused about where it was posted, makes me think about heading to the river at 4AM, setting decoys with just the dog and me.
    I was approached through the internet recently by a sixteen year old boy who wants to learn dog training and waterfowl hunting.
    I responded by telling him that I needed to meet his parents. We had a brief phone conversation a few days ago. He is trully a green pea.
    At this point in my life, I think mentoring a young man on dogs and ducks would be a good thing. I have a couple of grand nephews, but they are still to young. I emailed him this afternoon. I hope I hear back and we can work it out.
    I don't think going to the river with just the dog and me and a cell phone is the way anymore.

Maybe I'll call him Friday.

JD
    Last edited by JDogger; 11-13-2013 at 11:06 PM.
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift

Quote Originally Posted by JDogger View Post
    You're right Mike. It was on dogpotus. The fact that I was confused about where it was posted, makes me think about heading to the river at 4AM, setting decoys with just the dog and me.
    I was approached through the internet recently by a sixteen year old boy who wants to learn dog training and waterfowl hunting.
    I responded by telling him that I needed to meet his parents. We had a brief phone conversation a few days ago. He is trully a green pea.
    At this point in my life, I think mentoring a young man on dogs and ducks would be a good thing. I have a couple of grand nephews, but they are still to young. I emailed him this afternoon. I hope I hear back and we can work it out.
    I don't think going to the river with just the dog and me and a cell phone is the way an.
    ymore

JD
    Hell, Hugh, I don't go to air the dogs without my cell phone. It's my "Help! I've fallen and I can't get up" gadget.
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

Mike Whitworth

JDogger,
    Give that young man a call and a chance. Many of us have hunted alone at times throughout are lives, or perhaps in the company of only a favorite dog, certainly "special" times. Very few of us can claim that we learned everything we know about hunting totally on our own. Some of us were lucky enough to have someone share their time and knowledge along the journey.

I have taken to sharing my time in the outdoors with others that are thirsting for the knowledge that I now find to be second nature. I can easily state that some of my most memorable times spent in my outdoor pursuits have been those that I have shared teaching others "the way".

It is also important to note that we make an effort to pass the torch to our youth, those that will be voters with regard to hunting, shooting, and conservation related issues as time goes forward.

Call that kid, share your time, you will be rewarded beyond your imagination.

Cheers Mate,
    Irishwhistler
    Last edited by Irishwhistler; 11-14-2013 at 05:37 AM.

sharing your time and knowledge with youngsters feels pretty good - From time to time - I really enjoy hunting waterfowl on my own as I am a nut job with camo and I really like the ability to change decoy spreads - move from one part of the slough to another and the silence.

Took my two young cousins out duck hunting for the first time this last weekend, I took them to my honey hole in northern south Dakota - it is a spot I have never gone home empty handed from until this weekend. Kids talk loud, move a lot, shoot at a single when a large flock is setting their wings, and complain about how hard it is to row a canoe or break ice.

we did harvest the first hooded merganser I have ever seen. It was really cool seeing them take their first ducks but it was definitely not my typical duck hunt but we did get quite a few birds to set their wings and a few landed.
    Justin E Schneider

Xtreme's 30 Rounds N' 1 Full Maggie SH
    Foundation's One Up the Sleeve

"Money will buy you a pretty good dog, but it won't buy the wag of his tail." -- Josh Billings

Some peoples stiffest competition is themselves.--MooseGooser

Quote Originally Posted by JDogger View Post
    I don't think going to the river with just the dog and me and a cell phone is the way anymore.

JD
    This would be a good thing JD!
    Shooting 1 more duck won't mean much to us old farts, seeing a youngblood light up to the sports and dogs means everything.
    Think of the foundation, impact and memories your mentors provided you!
    Make a difference!!!!

JMO
    Stan b
    Last edited by road kill; 11-14-2013 at 05:45 AM.