The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reloading 2 3/4 steal shot ?'s

By the time you purchase a steel press, or a kit to convert your lead press to steel, then purchasing different components, wads, hulls, primers, shot sizes to experiment with, then consider your time assembling , going to the range to pattern and shoot, If you consider all this.....

Reloading for the reason of saving money is long gone.

I think you would be much better served taking youngster target shooting often at the clays range, and teach him to shot with lead.

then go and purchase a case or two of your favorite steel loads and have fun hunting...The only reason I reload , is I have all the equipment I bount LONG time ago, and I only load to get target / clay ammo to fit my needs.

I don't like having to shot factory target ammo at the range that has typically 1 1/8 oz of shot, and kicks like a mule.

I typically load 5/8 oz of shot in my 12 gauge, sometimes 3/4 oz and break targets just fine.

the recoil of the 12 then becomes more like a 20 gage.

jmhdao

gooser
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

Gooser :I knew you and I had the same tastes in reloads and recoil..7/8 and 1 oz skeet loads for me too
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by shawninthesticks View Post
    Does anyone have any experience with reloading the 2 3/4 steal loads? Can you work up an optimum load specific to the gun, like you can with rifle reloads? Now with a youthin slinging steal ,my shell expense is raising. My father in law has a reloading set that will reload up to 2 3/4 loads. Is it cost comparable to buying medium price range loads? Can you get the same performance in comparison to 3" loads? Any info would be great,just looking for options and my son and I are enjoying working up and reloading our rifle loads,so it would be a nice off season hobby to work up some dependable loads and save some $$
    I wish my dear friend Charlie Wright was still with us. He pioneered some of the fastest steel ever. His old company, Unique Shot Shells had wonderful 2 3/4 loads. Go to http://www.ballisticproducts.com/default.asp. Some of those are his. ( a hot 20ga he developed just before he passed last year.
    Never trust a dog to watch your food!

Quote Originally Posted by shawninthesticks View Post
    Does anyone have any experience with reloading the 2 3/4 steal loads? Can you work up an optimum load specific to the gun, like you can with rifle reloads? Now with a youthin slinging steal ,my shell expense is raising. My father in law has a reloading set that will reload up to 2 3/4 loads. Is it cost comparable to buying medium price range loads? Can you get the same performance in comparison to 3" loads? Any info would be great,just looking for options and my son and I are enjoying working up and reloading our rifle loads,so it would be a nice off season hobby to work up some dependable loads and save some $$
    Yes, I used a terrific load for the Federal gold metal hulls before I switched to Kent. The cost equales out now that the steel has been out a while.
    The load was a Federal Gold Medal 2 3/4 hull, 4756 powder, 1 oz of # 3 shot and a steel shot wad. The load traveled @ 1350 FPS and patterened well.

I too reloaded steel, heck I still have jugs of hevi shot when you could buy it by the #. I had to go check my book from RSI (cleaned the dust off) but the 2 3/4 load that I did was a Fed gold medal hull, win 209 primer, 34gr Alliant steel powder sam 1 wad and 492gr (1 1/8) steel. 1475 fps and 8500 psi. I found a MEC 650 for like 50 bucks then and converted it. Still have it and plus a couple of others. might have to give it a go again
    HRC- Our season never ends

"Shoot fast or shoot last"

HR UH Nilsson's on a wing n a prayer SH WCX

I tried to reload steel shot a couple years ago. I was using Alliant Steel powder, #3 Steel, Ballistic Products wads, Activ hulls and a Mec JR. loader. My experience was: The components are much more expensive than target loads and I only shoot 200-250 shells a year which was not enough for me to get a 'bulk' savings you get with target loads. The steel shot did not meter evenly through my machine and I had the steel shot kit for it; so some loads were off quite a bit. I also bought new hulls, because I did not have any that were 'reloadable' and they did not stay crimped very well; I did buy the glue to try to water proof them, but wasn't sure how well it worked. The upside was I really liked the performance of the shells, but decided I could save money and aggravation by just picking up a case of Winchesters.

I've been loading steel shot for years. You have to hand weigh both shot and powder. Steel pellets don't meter through a machine good,especialy as you get to the larger sizes like 2's. And the bulky STEEL powder doesn't run through a machine well either. If you don't have a scale, don't want to spend time hand weighing power and shot, don't want to spend the money to get set up to load steel and don't shoot a lot of shells per year,then reloading probably isn't for you. If you want a premium load with top quality components going advertised speed then it might be for you. Its not really about saving money. Since the OP is interested in saving money,I'd say its not worth it for him. If you still decide to try it shoot me a PM and I'll point you in the right direction. Hope this helps. Oh I forgot...it cost me about 8.60$ to load a box of 1oz 3's. That's counting shipping on the components.
    Last edited by grnhd; 11-15-2013 at 12:32 PM.

I haven't loaded steel since the early days ...but keep in mind it is speed that kills ... lighter fast loads are the best in my opinion...I loaded 7/8 oz in a 3 inch Winchester hull back then for a guy to use on geese...As mentioned earlier , follow the book on components you use..safety first....Steve S
    "Your dog learns as much by doing his work right,by your praise and encouragement, as he does by your displeasure and correction." DLWalters