The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Camera recommendations?

Question Camera recommendations?

There have been some very impressive photos posted on the forum and I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction? I'm currently looking into buying a high quality camera to take some detailed action photos of my dogs working, hunting, and competing. I'm looking for something that is relatively easy to learn and operate and takes clear/detailed photos of animals in motion. I'm so tired of either missing the shot because my shutter speed is too slow or the images ending up being super blurry. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BirddogLabs View Post
    There have been some very impressive photos posted on the forum and I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction? I'm currently looking into buying a high quality camera to take some detailed action photos of my dogs working, hunting, and competing. I'm looking for something that is relatively easy to learn and operate and takes clear/detailed photos of animals in motion. I'm so tired of either missing the shot because my shutter speed is too slow or the images ending up being super blurry. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.
    I grew up using an Olympus OM-1, which I still have. Film, what film?

I think the Canon EOS Rebel is great.

You didn't mention your budget though. That camera is about $425. Taking action pictures with a non-slr camera is a crap-shoot.

Canon t3i.
    Premier's Carbon Star
    by The Era of Zeus MH (NFC Patton x Ivy QAA by FC AFC Rudy) x
    HR Buck Creek Lexus by Widgeon JH (NAFC Carbon x Splash QAA by FC AFC Cougar)

Carbon Star Katniss
    By FC AFC Windy City's Mighty Mouse (NAFC Carbon x FC AFC Cody) x Flirt'n Lean Lex of Babyduck SH (NAFC Grady x Flirt QAA by NFC Chopper)

Quote Originally Posted by BirddogLabs View Post
    I would visit the Photography forum on The Refuge (Duck hunting site). If you really want to shoot a lot of action (especially lower light), enjoy the output, and are planning to make quality prints beyond 5x7 (bringing the subject of the shot in closer)...you'll be in it at least 2,500. And don't buy a nice SLR with a cheap lens (cheap being a few hundred) as you'll quickly outgrow its capabilities and no trade-up value. Why? Cause that's what so many people do.

Speed and clarity, particularly in a long fixed or zoom cost $$. The lens is more important than the camera in many ways. Good luck!
    Last edited by HNTFSH; 11-15-2013 at 06:19 AM.
    We shoot dogs with a Canon

What is your budget ? There are a couple P&S that can take good shots then there are the dslrs I am a photographer and have several bodies for sale pm me if interested. You can buy a body for less than a grand all the way up to 7k. Lenses are where you can spend some serious $$$$ you can get great shots with average equipment but it takes time. I would recommend the website http://photography-on-the.net/forum If you are wanting to shoot in low light and capture action shots you need a body that can shoot higher iso and fast glass 2.8 if daytime shooting is what you want that opens the doors a little more to bodies and glass. Feel free to pm me with any questions

"That's a fine dog you got there son. Looks like one of ya'll got the brains and the other one got the driver's license.".

Start with an entry level camera body that comes with a "kit lens" expect to pay around $800. As you progress buy more lenses, if you really get I to it you can buy a
    another end body that will work with your lenses.

Ken Rockwell's site is very helpful.
    John Lash

"If you run Field Trials, you learn to swallow your disappointment quickly."

"Field trials are not a game for good dogs. They're for great dogs with great training." E. Graham

I would look for advice from Tony Zappia.
    NAFTCH FTCH AFTCH Mjolnir Bluebill Of Allanport
    Flatlands Bayduck of Allanport
    Dakota Creek Teal of Allanport

I bought an entry level camera, Canon T3i and really like it but really need to upgrade to better glass. Like HNTFSH said.... your glass is everything!!! I have a 55-250mm lens that does good but limits you to about 75 yards IMO. My next buy will be something that'll reach out a little better.
    Sargent Taylor's Hevi-Shot (Sarge)

Quote Originally Posted by Rutin View Post
    I bought an entry level camera, Canon T3i and really like it but really need to upgrade to better glass. Like HNTFSH said.... your glass is everything!!! I have a 55-250mm lens that does good but limits you to about 75 yards IMO. My next buy will be something that'll reach out a little better.
    Zach - good point. It's always the issue on these types of posts. I hate seeing people spend more money than their 'interest' in being a photog and equally hate seeing folks buy down and lose the investment in 6 months when they can't shoot a good action frame at until the sun is fully up.

If I were going to buy a kit lens to start I would definitely by used. There are a ton out there.
    We shoot dogs with a Canon