The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Camera recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by TonyRodgz View Post
    Canon t3i.
    This right here.

A tag along question; my situation is a bit more complicated. I need a more portable, waterproof camera to keep with me in the hunting blind and take good action shots in a real hunting situation. Right now I am using an Olympus Stylus Tough point and shoot camera. It's ok, but not great. Is there anything that is a step up but not giant size that could handle rain, mud and a dog shaking on it?

I bought a Sony dslr but would go with Nikon or Canon if I had to do it over. There is nothing wrong with the Sony, but there seem to be far more glass options available for the other 2.
    Last edited by khobson; 11-15-2013 at 11:14 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post
    A tag along question; my situation is a bit more complicated. I need a more portable, waterproof camera to keep with me in the hunting blind and take good action shots in a real hunting situation. Right now I am using an Olympus Stylus Tough point and shoot camera. It's ok, but not great. Is there anything that is a step up but not giant size that could handle rain, mud and a dog shaking on it?
    Waterproof and good usually don't go together. It is all about the glass for good photos and nothing good is going to be waterproof. It is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by goin2drt View Post
    Waterproof and good usually don't go together. It is all about the glass for good photos and nothing good is going to be waterproof. It is what it is.
    By good, what specifically do you mean? I should maybe specify more what I need in order of priority;
    1) Weather proof, I already destroyed two cameras getting them wet or dropping them in the water. In addition to duck hunting which hazards you are probably aware, I also spend a lot of time wade fishing and drift boat fishing. I'm around water a lot.
    2) Relatively compact, Like to carry it in a fishing vest or hunting kit.
    3) Fast enough lens to take low level stationary shots or medium light (overcast daylight conditions) action shots.
    4) Sharp enough resolution for a 5x7.
    5) Not too complex, my current camera requires a degree in computer science.
    6) Fast follow-up shots. My current camera has an annoying lag that causes me to miss shots.

Maybe the perfect camera doesn't exist, but even a step up from my current camera would be great,

Thanks,

John

Just to let you know I'm not a complete newbie, I used to be a big 35mm nut. For twenty years I had a complete Canon F-1 system, motor drive, good Canon lenses from 24mm up to a nice 300 mm f 2.8. I also had a Nikonos II for underwater conditions and a housing for my Canon. Then around 1991 I switched to Nikon, still have three Nikon bodies, some great lenses, but haven't taken a film shot in over five years. The reality is that I wouldn't take one of my Nikons in the boat with me even if I was still using 35mm technology.

Quote Originally Posted by goin2drt View Post
    I own several of the Canon 1D series cameras and have shot professional sporting events in pouring down rain, it doesn't get much worse than that for a camera and mine are all fine. they sell housings for them if you want to go diving with them as well never done the underwater stuff but the weatherproofing is great on any of the 1D series

For a point and shoot it is hard to beat a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70 or really any of the Lumix cameras, they take good action shots range anywhere between 10x optical and 60X which would take you out to 1200mm, a 400mm 2.8 lens will run you north of 11k$ to put it in perspective. my wife has one has gotten some great action shots with it over the years

Anyone know about GOPRO camera?
    Gentle in what you do. Firm in how you do it.

CH SILVERCREEK MURRAY SAMUEL (MURRAY) WDQ CGC MH *** 2/16/00 - 12/26/12
    WESTWIND WHISPERING COVE (LARRY son of Murray) WDQ MH ***
    LPK DELAWARE RIVER WHISPERING COVE **(SAVAGE SAM son of FC Chester MH)
    WESTWIND WHISPERING COVE JAY ** ( Larry's son and Murray's grandson)

My two cents: I would buy a used Canon EOS 1D Mark III body. It has been my workhorse for years. I shoot tons of retriever and waterfowl hunting images. Live in northern NY where the weather can get downright snotty and cold and this body can take a big lickin' from frigid temps to rain to wet dogs. I would also buy a used Canon 70-200 2.8 AF/is. I would also consider a used Canon TC-1.4 teleconverter.
    Tony C. Zappia
    www.tonyzappia.com
    FTCH Adirondac Tea for Two WC, ** (Tea), 2009 GRCA National Specialty Derby win, Open Win
    (Fireside) Field of Emeralds (Emme)
    Heads Up Winter Storm Warning (Ice)