The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Camera recommendations?

For a small camera to take hunting there's a Canon SX 50. I've never used one but they are getting a lot of good comments on a photography website. They have something like the equivalent of an 1800 mm lens.
    John Lash

"If you run Field Trials, you learn to swallow your disappointment quickly."

"Field trials are not a game for good dogs. They're for great dogs with great training." E. Graham

Quote Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post
    By good, what specifically do you mean? I should maybe specify more what I need in order of priority;
    1) Weather proof, I already destroyed two cameras getting them wet or dropping them in the water. In addition to duck hunting which hazards you are probably aware, I also spend a lot of time wade fishing and drift boat fishing. I'm around water a lot.
    2) Relatively compact, Like to carry it in a fishing vest or hunting kit.
    3) Fast enough lens to take low level stationary shots or medium light (overcast daylight conditions) action shots.
    4) Sharp enough resolution for a 5x7.
    5) Not too complex, my current camera requires a degree in computer science.
    6) Fast follow-up shots. My current camera has an annoying lag that causes me to miss shots.

Maybe the perfect camera doesn't exist, but even a step up from my current camera would be great,

Thanks,

John
    So I have a FujiFilm XP (freeze, water, shock,dust proof) for the outdoor adventure stuff. I really like it. I would say it is rarely quick at repeats pics. Zoom is good and the quality is great. It also has a nice big preview screen on the back. Check it out.

Thanks I will check it out. I rarely, less than 10$ of the time use the zoom feature, I like a camera that leans toward a wide angle.

You will be in luck. There is some 5X wide function. Haven't figured it out.

Quote Originally Posted by tzappia View Post
    My two cents: I would buy a used Canon EOS 1D Mark III body. It has been my workhorse for years. I shoot tons of retriever and waterfowl hunting images. Live in northern NY where the weather can get downright snotty and cold and this body can take a big lickin' from frigid temps to rain to wet dogs. I would also buy a used Canon 70-200 2.8 AF/is. I would also consider a used Canon TC-1.4 teleconverter.
    Exactly right.
    We shoot dogs with a Canon

I would spend some time learning and finding out what features you really need, and buy accordingly. I bought a Canon T2i a couple of years ago to photograph my kids HS sports events. It worked out great, with a fast 85mm 1.8 lens, I took some great action shots without a flash in some pretty dark gyms. I used to always use zooms, but this fixed focus is scary sharp, and will equal some lenses that cost much more. Another sleeper is the $125 fixed 50mm, also tack sharp. The only time a zoom lens goes on this camera now is when my wife uses it. You have to move to get your shots, but the quality is much superior to the entry level zooms in kits, etc. The 85 is about $400 new, a bit less for a used one if you can find it. Should be some good used bodies out there. Personally I would stay away from the bottom of the line offerings and go up a notch or two if you can afford it, seem to always get more bang for your buck.

Thank you all so much! These responses have been absolutely fantastic for giving me a place to start. I am trying to learn about the different features and determine what I want and need, and will be taking all this information and using it to further my research. As for budget, I'm hoping to keep it under 2,000.

Quote Originally Posted by moscowitz View Post
    Anyone know about GOPRO camera?
    I have seen some remarkable images shot with that camera. Go to CBS.com and watch last Sundays 60 minutes. Had a great segment on it and the inventor. That camera is doing some very heavy duty work.
    Never trust a dog to watch your food!

Senior Member Mike Peters-labguy23's Avatar

We love our Nikon D60. We have 2 lenses. One for close and one for mid to long range.
    Mike Peters

After an experience with "dunking", I bought a Pelican case for my "replacement" camera. The waterproof case is probably the least inexpensive component (and the most important). I am comfortable with what the Rebel XTi and Canon 28-135 mm produces and I wouldn't be at ease with a larger investment. The case is big enough to take along my cell phone and a wide angle lens (which comes in handy at times....especially when training).

I am sure there would be better "keepers" with a bigger investment, but the primary purpose of this camera is to bring back decent photos without worrying about a huge monetary loss.

Hunting and training are expensive hobbies.....add to that high end photography costs and my budget won't tolerate the investment. All the photographs in my Website are taken with this fairly inexpensive setup. Shop wisely, buy used and the cost will come in under $1000.

Here's a recent action shot taken on a "solo" duck hunt. Try driving a ProDrive mud rig with one arm while towing a marsh boat down the middle of the Mississippi and taking photos over your left shoulder with a Rebel held backwards in your right hand.

Last edited by KwickLabs; 11-16-2013 at 04:17 PM.
    Jim Boyer www.kwicklabs.com
    KwickLabs Fountain of Youth - Pounce
    MPR UH HRCH Kwick Taffey of Joemac's MH
    HR Kwick Daisy's Spirit Keeper SH
    Kwick Kooly Dew It Allstar SH
    HR Kwick Draw McGraw SH (June, 2007 - May, 2014)