The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Camera recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by KwickLabs View Post
    After an experience with "dunking", I bought a Pelican case for my "replacement" camera. The waterproof case is probably the least inexpensive component (and the most important). I am comfortable with what the Rebel XTi and Canon 28-135 mm produces and I wouldn't be at ease with a larger investment. The case is big enough to take along my cell phone and a wide angle lens (which comes in handy at times....especially when training).

I am sure there would be better "keepers" with a bigger investment, but the primary purpose of this camera is to bring back decent photos without worrying about a huge monetary loss.

Hunting and training are expensive hobbies.....add to that high end photography costs and my budget won't tolerate the investment. All the photographs in my Website are taken with this fairly inexpensive setup. Shop wisely, buy used and the cost will come in under $1000.

Here's a recent action shot taken on a "solo" duck hunt. Try driving a ProDrive mud rig with one arm while towing a marsh boat down the middle of the Mississippi and taking photos over your left shoulder with a Rebel held backwards in your right hand.

This is kind of where I'm coming from. Good enough, but doesn't have to be National Geographic quality. Easy to use, works well in low light winter marsh conditions and safe from mud and water.

Quote Originally Posted by tzappia View Post
    My two cents: I would buy a used Canon EOS 1D Mark III body. It has been my workhorse for years. I shoot tons of retriever and waterfowl hunting images. Live in northern NY where the weather can get downright snotty and cold and this body can take a big lickin' from frigid temps to rain to wet dogs. I would also buy a used Canon 70-200 2.8 AF/is. I would also consider a used Canon TC-1.4 teleconverter.
    x2 on exactly what Tony said here, especially regarding the lens. Great lens. I have used it with my Rebel T1i and T4i and LOVE it
    HRCH UH Wolf Creek's Ebonstar Coach "Coach" MH
    HRCH UH Wolf Creek's Candlewood Victory "Tory" MH

“Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life.” ~ Annie Oakley

Do you listen to God as well as your dog listens to you? Can God run "Blinds" with you?

www.trinityoaklabs.com

If anyone needs a 1DMkIII let me know I have one I don't use

I purchased a refurbed Canon 40D base a few years ago but spent my money on the 70-200 2.8 IS L series lens, I love it
    Last edited by Erik Nilsson; 11-16-2013 at 06:17 PM.
    HRC- Our season never ends

"Shoot fast or shoot last"

HR UH Nilsson's on a wing n a prayer SH WCX

I've got a Nikon DSLR. I had a coworker who had paid $350-400 for a Nikon point & shoot & was trying to compare it to her mom's Canon which was a DSLR; basically she was comparing apples & oranges. I have found for for wildlife & dogs I wouldn't trade my 80-200 zoom & definitely recommend a DSLR; it should give you years of service.
    HR True Grits Finer Edge

Quote Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post
    A tag along question; my situation is a bit more complicated. I need a more portable, waterproof camera to keep with me in the hunting blind and take good action shots in a real hunting situation. Right now I am using an Olympus Stylus Tough point and shoot camera. It's ok, but not great. Is there anything that is a step up but not giant size that could handle rain, mud and a dog shaking on it?
    John- look at Fuji's cameras. They make some nice waterproof ones that I have used scuba diving. Reasonably priced too

David
    "When a man is proud of his dog and shows it, I like him. When his dog is proud of him and shows it, I deeply respect him.” — Gene Hill

Quote Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post
    Just to let you know I'm not a complete newbie, I used to be a big 35mm nut. For twenty years I had a complete Canon F-1 system, motor drive, good Canon lenses from 24mm up to a nice 300 mm f 2.8. I also had a Nikonos II for underwater conditions and a housing for my Canon. Then around 1991 I switched to Nikon, still have three Nikon bodies, some great lenses, but haven't taken a film shot in over five years. The reality is that I wouldn't take one of my Nikons in the boat with me even if I was still using 35mm technology.
    John- you sound like me. My daughter has my Canon system and I still have my Nikonos II I disagree waterproof and good are not exclusive.
    "When a man is proud of his dog and shows it, I like him. When his dog is proud of him and shows it, I deeply respect him.” — Gene Hill

Quote Originally Posted by tzappia View Post
    My two cents: I would buy a used Canon EOS 1D Mark III body. It has been my workhorse for years. I shoot tons of retriever and waterfowl hunting images. Live in northern NY where the weather can get downright snotty and cold and this body can take a big lickin' from frigid temps to rain to wet dogs. I would also buy a used Canon 70-200 2.8 AF/is. I would also consider a used Canon TC-1.4 teleconverter.
    How would one go about evaluating a used camera, to make sure it still works well?
    Renee P

Quote Originally Posted by mitty View Post
    How would one go about evaluating a used camera, to make sure it still works well?
    First off you can tell a lot just by how the camera looks, I have shot countless venues with other Pros who don't take care of their cameras, they are all scratched up, paint is rubbed off etc, that would be the first way, I can tell you I never worked for a company that gave me equipment so I have paid for every piece of equipment I own, I think if you own it then you are more likely to take care of it than if it is owned by your employer. Just my 2 cents, the second thing is you look at how many actuations a camera body has, in general the shutter on a 1D is good for 300k actuations, this is just an average, the higher actuation cameras closer to the 300k are less valuable because you know you are eventually going to have to replace the shutter if it goes out, a third way is to review some shots from the camera and see what kind of quality it is producing but a lot of the quality comes from the lenses as well. So keep that in mind There are some respected sites that sell used equipment Adorama, B&H, MPEX etc, the best way is to find a pro that is upgrading or downsizing and see what they might have. Hope this helps you

Quote Originally Posted by Tigershark View Post
    First off you can tell a lot just by how the camera looks, I have shot countless venues with other Pros who don't take care of their cameras, they are all scratched up, paint is rubbed off etc, that would be the first way, I can tell you I never worked for a company that gave me equipment so I have paid for every piece of equipment I own, I think if you own it then you are more likely to take care of it than if it is owned by your employer. Just my 2 cents, the second thing is you look at how many actuations a camera body has, in general the shutter on a 1D is good for 300k actuations, this is just an average, the higher actuation cameras closer to the 300k are less valuable because you know you are eventually going to have to replace the shutter if it goes out, a third way is to review some shots from the camera and see what kind of quality it is producing but a lot of the quality comes from the lenses as well. So keep that in mind There are some respected sites that sell used equipment Adorama, B&H, MPEX etc, the best way is to find a pro that is upgrading or downsizing and see what they might have. Hope this helps you
    Just to add to this, I replaced my shutter on my 50D this spring and it cost, if I recall correctly, around $300-$350.
    I would still recommend purchasing a used body. Depreciation is too high on the bodies. Like others have mentioned, spend your money on good glass and if you can find good used glass that's even better. You can spend the money you save from a used body and put it towards photo editing software.