The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Camera recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by Tigershark View Post
    When the version 2 was released a while back it was around 1800$ just shows how much glass has gone up. 1200-1300 is the going rate for a good used version 1 with IS
    I have been watching some of the version 1 lenses on eBay---these are lenses that look to my eye to be in very good condition. One sold for $1625! Extreme, yes, but so far I haven't seen any sell for under $1300. Lenses that look beat up are probably going for less, I haven't been watching those.
    Renee P

Quote Originally Posted by Tigershark View Post
    When the version 2 was released a while back it was around 1800$ just shows how much glass has gone up. 1200-1300 is the going rate for a good used version 1 with IS
    What do you suppose a used Canon 1d Mark III in good/very good condition should cost? On eBay some sellers are reporting that the shutter actuations can't be read, but others are reporting them. Makes no sense to me that some and some can't read the actuations, unless they are being lazy about finding programs that work.

(I tried to PM you this question but I since the RTF PM function is on the blink it probably did not go through.)
    Renee P

Renee,
    there are no programs to read the MKIII unlike most of the other models of Canons so if someone doesn't know then it has probably changed hands a few times or they just don't keep track of them. if you are a sports shooter it's easy to loose track of how many you have because the counter resets every 10k actuations. Canon is the only one that can accurately tell you how many a body has unless someone cracked the code that I don't know about. Mine has 65k on the shutter and the body is a 9.5/10 and mine is 1050$. The more actuations the less valuable. I have seen some for 900$ but you don't know the history of the camera a lot of times. I have seen them for 1200 and 1300. It's very much like used car buying. I think the demand is higher is some locations as well. feel free to shoot me an email if you have any questions I didn't get your PM. tigershark@insightbb.com

I think that Tony Zappia gave the best short answer on this topic. Personally, when buying used I prefer to go through someone like KEH.com (although their site is a bit hard to navigate) or Roberts Imaging in Indianapolis or even B&H or Adorama (I find the folks at the NY stores like B&H a bit snotty at times so usually prefer the midwesterner manners at Roberts).

I would say that your initial post is asking a lot. What I would feel comfortable with in the field hunting is not necessarily what I would use if shooting competition. I shot a couple of hunt tests a bit over a year ago and even my 600mm wasn't adequately long at times, and I would NEVER take that monster out hunting (weighs 25+lbs with camera and tripod). If you want something to carry in the field, I might look at one of the Powershot point and shoot cameras like the SX500 or 510. They are NOT waterproof, but also cost under $300.00 and will produce very nice images. SLRs are bigger, heavier, and more expensive and thus less likely to get pulled out when shooting on a hunt. If I was going to use a DSLR on a hunt, I would probably want something like a gently used 70-200 F:2.8 IS L. For hunt tests, trials, or shooting set up action of your own dog, I would recommend nothing shorter than 200mm and either of the 70-200mm F:2.8 IS L lenses (original or MKII) would be an acceptable choice, but if you want a lens that will give you a bit more reach and that is unbelievably sharp, I would be looking for a gently used 300mm F:4 IS L. That lens gives you a bit more reach and is one of Canon's hidden treasures. A real value when found in good shape and used (and probably less than $1000.00).

As to the meaning of some of the designations, the two that are probably most important: "IS" refers to image stabilization which is a mechanical function that by using internal sensors shifts one or more internal components to counter the blurring effect of camera shake, which is a problem with hand held images taken at relatively slow shutterspeeds (will not correct for motion blur caused by subject movement). The "L" designation indicates that the lens is in Canon's PRO line and has a more sophisticated optical design and (usually) sturdier build. The L series lenses have some pretty fancy glass that helps reduce various problems caused when light passes from air through glass and improves sharpness, contrast, and color transmission. You can recognize Canon's L series lenses by the thin red stripe that is around the lens near the end away from the camera. Once you use an L series lens you will be "ruint" for anything less.

As to those recommending that you go with a "kit" lens to start out, I would disagree. Instead, figure out what you are going to shoot, and then see if you can find a gently used L series lens that will fill the bill and fit your budget.

HPL
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

Great L lenses sell used far less often than camera bodies. There's a reason.
    We shoot dogs with a Canon

A nice site for used photo gear is : wwwfredmiranda.com
    Check out their Buy & Sell Photo Gear forum
    Tony C. Zappia
    www.tonyzappia.com
    FTCH Adirondac Tea for Two WC, ** (Tea), 2009 GRCA National Specialty Derby win, Open Win
    (Fireside) Field of Emeralds (Emme)
    Heads Up Winter Storm Warning (Ice)

Quote Originally Posted by tzappia View Post
    A nice site for used photo gear is : wwwfredmiranda.com
    Check out their Buy & Sell Photo Gear forum
    Howdy Tony!

HPL
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

I'm strictly an amateur photographer who doesn't know much more than the automatic settings on the point and shoot variety.

I've been very pleased with a new Panasonic Lumix DMZ-FZ200 I began using this season. It was about $450 and has a fabulous digital zoom. It's been very easy to use and takes video almost as well as it takes photos in bright sunshine or early morning darkness.

These shots were taken with using factory settings this weekend in Arkansas.

Chili.Ark.Nov.2013.1.jpgChili.Ark.Nov.2013.2.jpgChili.Ark.Nov.2013.4.jpg

Waterdog my wife has a lumix dmz I think we have bought 2 in the last 11 years and they are great I have a lot of pictures hanging in our house that were taken with those for a non dslr that is the best bang for your buck

To get some idea of magnification needed (lens length) you can go to my website www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com and click on the photo of the retriever on the first page, that will take you to a collection of retriever photos. The first 15 or so are of my dog being photographed under very controlled conditions where I could be relatively close to the action. Those were all shot using a 300mm lens. If you then scroll down you will see a photo of an older looking black lab retrieving a chuckar (I think). From that photo on (about 15 frames) the pictures are from a hunt test and were mostly shot using my 600 (the Toler retrieving and the two of the really fluffy golden were with the 300). My point being that it takes a pretty long lens to shoot tests and trials or dogs that are working under actual hunting conditions.
    (John Dewey)

(George Washington)