RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Camera recommendations?

10K views 69 replies 28 participants last post by  HPL 
#1 ·
There have been some very impressive photos posted on the forum and I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction? I'm currently looking into buying a high quality camera to take some detailed action photos of my dogs working, hunting, and competing. I'm looking for something that is relatively easy to learn and operate and takes clear/detailed photos of animals in motion. I'm so tired of either missing the shot because my shutter speed is too slow or the images ending up being super blurry. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

#3 ·
Canon t3i.

#4 · (Edited)
I would visit the Photography forum on The Refuge (Duck hunting site). If you really want to shoot a lot of action (especially lower light), enjoy the output, and are planning to make quality prints beyond 5x7 (bringing the subject of the shot in closer)...you'll be in it at least 2,500. And don't buy a nice SLR with a cheap lens (cheap being a few hundred) as you'll quickly outgrow its capabilities and no trade-up value. Why? Cause that's what so many people do.

Speed and clarity, particularly in a long fixed or zoom cost $$. The lens is more important than the camera in many ways. Good luck!

#5 ·
What is your budget ? There are a couple P&S that can take good shots then there are the dslrs I am a photographer and have several bodies for sale pm me if interested. You can buy a body for less than a grand all the way up to 7k. Lenses are where you can spend some serious $$$$ you can get great shots with average equipment but it takes time. I would recommend the website http://photography-on-the.net/forum If you are wanting to shoot in low light and capture action shots you need a body that can shoot higher iso and fast glass 2.8 if daytime shooting is what you want that opens the doors a little more to bodies and glass. Feel free to pm me with any questions

#7 ·
Start with an entry level camera body that comes with a "kit lens" expect to pay around $800. As you progress buy more lenses, if you really get I to it you can buy a
another end body that will work with your lenses.

Ken Rockwell's site is very helpful.

#9 ·
I bought an entry level camera, Canon T3i and really like it but really need to upgrade to better glass. Like HNTFSH said.... your glass is everything!!! I have a 55-250mm lens that does good but limits you to about 75 yards IMO. My next buy will be something that'll reach out a little better.

#10 ·
Zach - good point. It's always the issue on these types of posts. I hate seeing people spend more money than their 'interest' in being a photog and equally hate seeing folks buy down and lose the investment in 6 months when they can't shoot a good action frame at until the sun is fully up.

If I were going to buy a kit lens to start I would definitely by used. There are a ton out there.

#12 ·
A tag along question; my situation is a bit more complicated. I need a more portable, waterproof camera to keep with me in the hunting blind and take good action shots in a real hunting situation. Right now I am using an Olympus Stylus Tough point and shoot camera. It's ok, but not great. Is there anything that is a step up but not giant size that could handle rain, mud and a dog shaking on it?

#16 ·
Just to let you know I'm not a complete newbie, I used to be a big 35mm nut. For twenty years I had a complete Canon F-1 system, motor drive, good Canon lenses from 24mm up to a nice 300 mm f 2.8. I also had a Nikonos II for underwater conditions and a housing for my Canon. Then around 1991 I switched to Nikon, still have three Nikon bodies, some great lenses, but haven't taken a film shot in over five years. The reality is that I wouldn't take one of my Nikons in the boat with me even if I was still using 35mm technology.

#37 ·
John- you sound like me. My daughter has my Canon system and I still have my Nikonos II I disagree waterproof and good are not exclusive.

#18 ·
For a point and shoot it is hard to beat a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70 or really any of the Lumix cameras, they take good action shots range anywhere between 10x optical and 60X which would take you out to 1200mm, a 400mm 2.8 lens will run you north of 11k$ to put it in perspective. my wife has one has gotten some great action shots with it over the years

#19 ·
Anyone know about GOPRO camera?

#20 ·
My two cents: I would buy a used Canon EOS 1D Mark III body. It has been my workhorse for years. I shoot tons of retriever and waterfowl hunting images. Live in northern NY where the weather can get downright snotty and cold and this body can take a big lickin' from frigid temps to rain to wet dogs. I would also buy a used Canon 70-200 2.8 AF/is. I would also consider a used Canon TC-1.4 teleconverter.

#21 ·
For a small camera to take hunting there's a Canon SX 50. I've never used one but they are getting a lot of good comments on a photography website. They have something like the equivalent of an 1800 mm lens.

#26 ·
I would spend some time learning and finding out what features you really need, and buy accordingly. I bought a Canon T2i a couple of years ago to photograph my kids HS sports events. It worked out great, with a fast 85mm 1.8 lens, I took some great action shots without a flash in some pretty dark gyms. I used to always use zooms, but this fixed focus is scary sharp, and will equal some lenses that cost much more. Another sleeper is the $125 fixed 50mm, also tack sharp. The only time a zoom lens goes on this camera now is when my wife uses it. You have to move to get your shots, but the quality is much superior to the entry level zooms in kits, etc. The 85 is about $400 new, a bit less for a used one if you can find it. Should be some good used bodies out there. Personally I would stay away from the bottom of the line offerings and go up a notch or two if you can afford it, seem to always get more bang for your buck.

#27 ·
Thank you all so much! These responses have been absolutely fantastic for giving me a place to start. I am trying to learn about the different features and determine what I want and need, and will be taking all this information and using it to further my research. As for budget, I'm hoping to keep it under 2,000.

#30 · (Edited)
After an experience with "dunking", I bought a Pelican case for my "replacement" camera. The waterproof case is probably the least inexpensive component (and the most important). I am comfortable with what the Rebel XTi and Canon 28-135 mm produces and I wouldn't be at ease with a larger investment. The case is big enough to take along my cell phone and a wide angle lens (which comes in handy at times....especially when training).

I am sure there would be better "keepers" with a bigger investment, but the primary purpose of this camera is to bring back decent photos without worrying about a huge monetary loss.

Hunting and training are expensive hobbies.....add to that high end photography costs and my budget won't tolerate the investment. All the photographs in my Website are taken with this fairly inexpensive setup. Shop wisely, buy used and the cost will come in under $1000.

Here's a recent action shot taken on a "solo" duck hunt. Try driving a ProDrive mud rig with one arm while towing a marsh boat down the middle of the Mississippi and taking photos over your left shoulder with a Rebel held backwards in your right hand.

#35 ·
I've got a Nikon DSLR. I had a coworker who had paid $350-400 for a Nikon point & shoot & was trying to compare it to her mom's Canon which was a DSLR; basically she was comparing apples & oranges. I have found for for wildlife & dogs I wouldn't trade my 80-200 zoom & definitely recommend a DSLR; it should give you years of service.

#41 ·
Agree again on the glass. This question comes up all the time and so do the recommendations of quality P&S versus heavier equipment. IMO a hunting camera and photography camera are likely two different things.

To the OP - if you desire to shoot subjects by which you'll want to print and frame, gift, publish (in any venue), or otherwise really get into the output of your work - heed the advice on the body and quality glass. Frankly - an 8x10 action shot (framed) doesn't have much impact. In 18x24 it does. As do all the options now for foam board shots in sizes above or below that.

You're just not going to pull stellar action/movement shots into anything larger than 5x7, maybe 8x10 with an average camera and lens. If you try - they'll be grainy, not sharp. You may like the center 1/3 of a shot with something produced from a Canon L 70-200 and wish to magnify that 1/3 into a close-up subject for your print or digital shot - which you can often do with something like photoshop. Try doing that with a mediocre glass and your subject will show the flaws, particularly on lower light with the slower shutter speed. 'Low light' is brighter than you would think.

Really depends on your end game. Interesting pictures can be taken with many cameras. Interesting and producible shots require the investment.

Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.