The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Flying home with a puppy

I have flown with lots of puppies in the Sherpa carrier

1. I think 6.5 weeks is pretty young to travel
    2. I always have vet certificate. Some airlines care, others don't. Sometimes the person you speak to on the phone is wrong. Best to have it on had and not need it, then need it and not have it
    3. Wear the puppy out the day before travel and the day of travel
    4. Put disposable towel on floor of Sherpa and bring spare. If you have an accident, you simply throw old one out, and put new one in
    5. Bring chew toy to keep puppy occupied

Haven't had any problems. Mostly puppies sleep. Good luck
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)

www.freeridinretrievers.com

I have done this twice CA to NY. Most recently in April 2013. I agree with what has been said but have a couple of suggestions:

-Pups can get hot in the Sherpa under the seat. Put an ice pack in with them.
    -8 week old retrievers are too big to fit into a Sherpa (and be able to stand/turn). My pups were 7 weeks & I fibbed. Even at that they were both big for the bag.
    -in an airport, handicapped/family bathrooms are great. Close the door & you have a big space to let the pup chill. Wee pad are good.
    -my trips have had a layover. So, on the trip out I checked out places I could let the pup out that would be quiet with hard flooring (in case of accidents). Also noted closest location of the accessible/ family bathroom so I could make a quick run after getting off the plane.
    Coppertop's Captain Kirk CD MH WCX CCA VC (2004-2011) (Kirk)
    Gaylan's Roddenberry a la Mode SH WCX CCA (Kira)
    Top Flight's Cayuga Klingon SH, WC. (Worf)
    Coppertop's Trill of a Lifetime (in training) (Dax)

I will research the airline policy ASAP. The Sherpa bag I've borrowed from a friend is used for Pug rescue. I thought it likely a 6-7 week old puppy would be no bigger than an adult Pug. I'll get some puppy padding and toweling. (Hmmm... wonder if an adult pampers... "grampers" would work in the carrier???) They're supposed to be really absorbent.

I guess I was more worried about the TSA agents since I've never found them to be original thinkers (sorry for any offense given. It's just been my experience). They might be able to handle someone with replacement joints that set off alarms. They might be able to handle someone traveling with a puppy. But the two together might get me profiled or something.

God bless America.

Quote Originally Posted by 1tulip View Post
    I will research the airline policy ASAP. The Sherpa bag I've borrowed from a friend is used for Pug rescue. I thought it likely a 6-7 week old puppy would be no bigger than an adult Pug. I'll get some puppy padding and toweling. (Hmmm... wonder if an adult pampers... "grampers" would work in the carrier???) They're supposed to be really absorbent.

I guess I was more worried about the TSA agents since I've never found them to be original thinkers (sorry for any offense given. It's just been my experience). They might be able to handle someone with replacement joints that set off alarms. They might be able to handle someone traveling with a puppy. But the two together might get me profiled or something.

God bless America.
    I bet things like this work:

Probably in the same aisle as grampers (TMI...)

Geez I've been reading all these responses and I'm amazed. My pup slept ok in the 15 minute car ride home from where I collected her from the breeder, but that was all the sleep she needed for the night.
    Renee P

Buy or borrow the largest sized Sherpa allowed and put a little wee wee pad on the bottom. Take along a small sandwich baggie of kibble to use as "treats". The flight attendent should be happy to provide ice cubes or water in a cup for pup.

I had one travel from WA to NY w/ a 9.5 wk old male pup weighing almost 18# in one and they did just fine. It's not necessarily the airline w/ the health cert requirements, but the destination state, so check w/ YOUR state vet in NV. 8 wks is minimum for all the airlines now (for good reason, imo). As I recall, one had just raised their min age to 9 or 10 wks last year when I had pups leaving. I've had several pups fly from here, and all but one (18 yrs ago!) went in the cabin. All did fine.

When checking in for your flight, ask if you may board early with "those needing more time". This allows the sherpa bag with puppy to be stowed under the seat before those in neighboring seats show up with their bags. I found the gate attendants more than happy to help out.

Window seat works best for room under seat. Once you are in air, you can pull out and give puppy more headroom. As for security, you send carrier through, walk with puppy in your arms through machine. I haven't had any issues
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)

www.freeridinretrievers.com

The more I read the more reasons I see to put the pup in the air conditioned cargo hold. Statistically, it would be safer than riding down the highway in the back of a dog truck.

When I did it the pup was getting spoiled and loved on by TSA. When he needed to be in his bag, they all wanted to meet him. I had a health cert but nobody checked it. We flew out of Clevland. I had to remove pup from carrier and send the carrier thru the xray machine. I walked thru the metal detector with pup in my arms. TSA was battling as to which one could help me by holding pup while I gathered my stuff, got shoes back on, him back in carrier etc. I was even offered a ride to the gate which I declined. Magic was calm and quiet almost the whole time. He puppy barked 2x's. Once on decent. A single ruff. The second pup bark was while waiting to transfer planes in Charlotte.
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

I would never take a dog before 7 weeks, they need that time with the litter. Most current literature now says 8 weeks is the minimum. And as others say, the airlines stipulate 8 weeks, although that may only apply to shipping puppies....be sure to verify, but if you can, re-think the age..