The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Flying home with a puppy

Let me add that you need to research your airports. I discovered after going thru security that unlike most airports these days almost everything involving food and water was before security. I didn't want to go back thru and spent all my time trying to find some bottled water for him.
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

When you fly with pup, you know where pup is. When pup flies in cargo, not so sure. In addition, there are no restrictions on temperature, etc. It really isn't that big a deal, unless you want to make it so
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)

www.freeridinretrievers.com

It's tough... if I wait for pup to be 8 weeks old, we're trying to negotiate air travel during the Christmas madness. Even if airport personnel and flight crews would want to be generous and tolerant they may be unable to accommodate unanticipated events. Bathrooms jammed, long lines... I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by 1tulip View Post
    I will research the airline policy ASAP. The Sherpa bag I've borrowed from a friend is used for Pug rescue. I thought it likely a 6-7 week old puppy would be no bigger than an adult Pug. I'll get some puppy padding and toweling. (Hmmm... wonder if an adult pampers... "grampers" would work in the carrier???) They're supposed to be really absorbent.

I guess I was more worried about the TSA agents since I've never found them to be original thinkers (sorry for any offense given. It's just been my experience). They might be able to handle someone with replacement joints that set off alarms. They might be able to handle someone traveling with a puppy. But the two together might get me profiled or something.

God bless America.
    I fly between 50-75K miles a year and rarely see an issue with the TSA. I see lotsa issues with passengers.
    We shoot dogs with a Canon

It's tough... if I wait for pup to be 8 weeks old, we're trying to negotiate air travel during the Christmas madness. Even if airport personnel and flight crews would want to be generous and tolerant they may be unable to accommodate unanticipated events. Bathrooms jammed, long lines... I don't know.
    Or you can drive the 725 mi one way and take your time, avoid the stress and stop when you want to stop, and not take the pup until its 49 + days old
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Seattle to Reno is a short flight. Both airports are great to move dogs thru.
    Before you leave get a Petsmart /Walmart 34.00 dog tote bag that's airline approved. Hate to have you turned back cause the sherpa thinger doesn't meet their Airline requirements. And who knows what viruses may be in the fabric of a pug rescues' bag.

Be prepared with wee pads, keep a spare in your bag and if you have a layover take her into the disabled stall in Ladies put the wee pad on the floor and let her go.
    (May ask the breeder to expose pup to peeing on wee pad in the whelping box.)

Consider your pup well being over some flying inconvenience and wait. These little guys can only take so much stress and all the Xperts say wait until your pup is old enough to fly.

Good luck

The Sherpa I bought was airline approved. Mine was new so no issues with what had used it before. Mine has been well used as my cat loves it compared to his old carrier to visit the vet. Make sure to bring something that after you find water thru security the pup can actually drink from. I had a gladware food saver container. Lightweight, and cheap.
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    Or you can drive the 725 mi one way and take your time, avoid the stress and stop when you want to stop, and not take the pup until its 49 + days old
    I seriously am thinking about that... but it's from Reno to the US/Canadian border. That's further than driving to Phoenix from northern NV. And winter. Sierras. But I'm thinking about it.

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    I seriously am thinking about that... but it's from Reno to the US/Canadian border. That's further than driving to Phoenix from northern NV. And winter. Sierras. But I'm thinking about it.

I drove from Central, IL. to upstate NY to pick up my current pup and two of his sisters. If I had it to do over again, I would in a heartbeat! They were fantastic travelers and I also got to meet the breeder in person and also got to see their mother in person as well. We took our time getting back and it was just an overall great experience. One of the girls ended going back out East to NJ. I met the guy at the local airport here and gave him his new addition. He made it a day trip and had her as a carryon. From my understanding the trip went extremely smooth.