The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Late 1950's Decoys ??

Default Late 1950's Decoys ??

Long story short...in-laws own an antique store and bought 15-20 decoys at an estate sale for $5 total. I found a patent #, did a search and came up with the following:
    It was filed May 24, 1957 and granted July 7, 1959 by Harold Mckee out of Midland, Michigan. It says, along with a lot more info, that this invention relates to Wildfowl decoys and particularly to Wildfowl decoys which have keels attached thereto. Seems to me the patent focuses on the keel (weight) inserting into the body of the decoy for storage and the life-like movement on water.
    The decoys are styrofoam bodies with a plastic head that swivels and has the metal plate (keel) attached that fits into the body. Anyone know anything about these type decoys? Are they worth anything-as in put up and save? Should I just use them? Or should she go ahead and put in her store and sell to someone?
    Attached Images Attached Images

If it were mine I would set it on my shelf. That's a fine decoy. If she ever needs a buyer I'd buy it at whatever fair market price is. But I actually don't know anything about the decoy.

I've got some carved wooden blue bills and golden eyes from ca. 1930-40 I wonder what their worth. I have given 3 away to friends and family that took me out on a duck hunt. No signatures or actual dates just the info I was given from my buddies great grand pa who gifted them to me for helping him out.

Quote Originally Posted by cocdawg View Post
    Long story short...in-laws own an antique store and bought 15-20 decoys at an estate sale for $5 total. I found a patent #, did a search and came up with the following:
    It was filed May 24, 1957 and granted July 7, 1959 by Harold Mckee out of Midland, Michigan. It says, along with a lot more info, that this invention relates to Wildfowl decoys and particularly to Wildfowl decoys which have keels attached thereto. Seems to me the patent focuses on the keel (weight) inserting into the body of the decoy for storage and the life-like movement on water.
    The decoys are styrofoam bodies with a plastic head that swivels and has the metal plate (keel) attached that fits into the body. Anyone know anything about these type decoys? Are they worth anything-as in put up and save? Should I just use them? Or should she go ahead and put in her store and sell to someone?
    I have some decoys that I still use that fits your description. I bought them out of a Herter's Catalog a couple of years before Herter's was purchased by Cabelas. They may not be the same and could just be a copy knockoff of the McKee design. You may want to check a Cabelas catalog and see if they still sell them.
    Collecting more taxes than is absolutely necessary is legalized robbery. Calvin Coolidge

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Reminton Steele View Post
    I've got some carved wooden blue bills and golden eyes from ca. 1930-40 I wonder what their worth. I have given 3 away to friends and family that took me out on a duck hunt. No signatures or actual dates just the info I was given from my buddies great grand pa who gifted them to me for helping him out.
    Depends on the carver and artwork. I have seen pairs priced at close to $20k.

Quote Originally Posted by cocdawg View Post

If I remember right they were made from a wooden decoy mold carved by a guy named Lloyd Natzmer. Both he and McKee worked for Dow and he made tehm out of a foam product Dow was working on. Probably worth $25-$45 each depending on condition. Cans are less common than the Bluebills.
    Never trust a dog to watch your food!