The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Crawfishing

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    My impression was that companies would be reluctant to participate in exchanges the first year because those wanting in the most would be those currently forgoing treatment because they lack coverage and resources. The young and "healthy" not so much. Although I don't know exactly what that means. I've never been without coverage in my life. By the time my wife was 26 she had been already hospitalized twice, once for appendix surgery and once for gallbladder surgery. Those would have hit us pretty hard at that point in our lives.
    I'll give you this thought - we paid for the birth of all of our sons but one - always paid for doctors but had a hospital contract by the company for one. When I ran back & forth to the Phillipines we had no insurance & managed to get through a tonsillectomy & a bad bicycle accident.

As with everything, student loans (the only student loans came from the schools), mortgages, HC, the process becomes more intrusive & expensive when government is involved. Because each time it's being priced so the haves pay for the have nots .

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    I'll give you this thought - we paid for the birth of all of our sons but one - always paid for doctors but had a hospital contract by the company for one. When I ran back & forth to the Phillipines we had no insurance & managed to get through a tonsillectomy & a bad bicycle accident.

But Marv, back then they were still bleeding with leaches.

My MIL had a bill framed from Anchor Hospital in St Paul. Less than $20 bucks to have his appendix out. Prices have gone up a bit since the 50's.
    Never trust a dog to watch your food!

Quote Originally Posted by Golddogs View Post
    But Marv, back then they were still bleeding with leaches.

My MIL had a bill framed from Anchor Hospital in St Paul. Less than $20 bucks to have his appendix out. Prices have gone up a bit since the 50's.
    I believe you mean leeches . I'm just trying to point out that the big cost driver has been the government. I recognize what inflation does. Back before Reagan stopped the deduction of interest on your income tax it made sense to take out a loan as inflation then allowed you use the product while paying the loan back with a cheaper dollar. Today the dollar is cheaper but there is nothing in the inflationary process for the little guy .

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Quote Originally Posted by PamK View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by shinyhead View Post

Luvy didn't get her cancellation until just recently. How long in advance did the companies know that the plans were scheduled to be cancelled? Three years So in essence, it was a ploy on the president's part, to put the blame back on the insurance companies? Bingo!! This is driving me nuts trying to figure all this crappola out.

So the companies knew for three years that the policy would be cancelled but just set the notice out?

The policy was not in place 3 years ago. Back then we were covered by hubby's employer but when the owner sold out to someone else my husband decided to go independent. Then we did cobra for a bit just because it was prime tax time for me and I did not have the time to research a good plan for us.
    Anyway the fact is that the rules were changing non stop. Remember HHS was changing things on the fly non stop. I don't get how you think I should have been sent a cancellation notice on a plan that ran on annual renewal while the policy could still be renewed. The fact is I did not have some fly by night junk plan. For our needs the plan we had was better than the new mapped plan for $500 more per month.
    The true issue is that the healthy regardless of age lose credit for being healthy. That is why rates are going thru the roof. Think about suddenly losing credit for being a safe driver. That is wahat is happening. Then meanwhile your taxes and premiums go up yet someone who has never paid a dime gets credits paid for by you so they only pay $19 per month for better coverage than you get for $924.97 per month which is a 6000 per year increase. Tell me that would not make your blood boil!
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

“We all knew,” Mrs. Gillibrand said on ABC’s “This Week,” referencing the fact that she and many others were fully aware that Obamacare would result in cancellations.

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...#ixzz2kvzGJrxd
    Sen. Kirsten E. Gillibrand wasn’t surprised when Americans began to get letters saying their health insurance policies had been canceled.

Mrs. Gillibrand, New York Democrat, said Sunday that President Obama simply should have been “more specific” when he declared that those people who liked their insurance could keep it, a pledge that clearly has been broken amid growing reports of Americans being booted from their plans because the insurance policies don’t comply with the standards in Obamacare.
    She neglects to mention why Obama was not more specific, i.e. a majority of people would have not even been remotely interested in having O-care become law of the land.

If they "all knew", why did many of them also repeat the POTUS' litany? Why did nobody who knew, ever clarify the POTUS' statements?

I believe the insurance companies also knew, and they also remained mum on the POTUS' misleading statements. They aren't required to send out the termination notices until 90 days prior to the termination. I will grant that they probably did NOT know, especially after the POTUS rigid stand during the shutdown chaos, that the POTUS would abruptly change his mind and throw the ball back into their court.

I also thought that maybe it shouldn't be so hard to just resume or extend the policies they were terminating. However, state insurance commissioners would then have to re-approve the plans before that could be done.

The very big deal with Obama's "administrative fix" is that the law doesn't change by such "prosecutorial discretion". This would then leave the insurors and those state commissioners in violation of the law. So, if some insuror would not pay a claim that would be covered under O-care-approved policies, the claimant could sue the insuror for not honoring the claim for the very fact that the policy was not legal under said law. Maybe could even sue the insurance commissioner for allowing the policy to be sold in violation of the Federal law?

What good would a one-year delay do anyhow? Just delays the ax falling at the same time that it falls on all the employer plans next year. If we think it's chaos now, just imagine when many millions more find they will be paying more because their plans do not include the required coverages.

Upton's House bill only includes a 1-year delay as well. Landrieu's Senate bill (as I understand it) would make the grand-fathering unlimited in time. That would really crater the sustainability of those exchanges with a large pool of people being exempt from the more demanding requirements of O-care.

BTW, O-care also includes provision for bailing out the insurance companies if they have big losses! (No wonder they kept mum about Obama's misleading statements). Rubio is proposing a bill to eliminate that provision from O-care. With costs of the law now pegged around $2.6 trillion (rather than the original $1 trillion), can we even imagine how much more cost would be added to bail out insurance company losses?

All of this to "fix" a problem for 30 million (10% of the population), while keeping in mind that means that the other 90% already had some medical insurance. Even if another 15 million had "inadequate" coverage, that still leaves a whole lot of people that still means that 85% of the population was covered. The entire population of each UK or Canada is equal to just a bit less than those 40 million people And, in theory, 11 million illegal residents will still remain without coverage. I'm sure that the govt will decide we must "fix" that by finding a way to cover them as well, since health care is a human right, even for non-citizens. In the end, estimates are that there will still be 30 million without coverage. The law will have accomplished exactly what? Yet, a lot of people will feel good that we did something ... even though it didn't really fix anything.

G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .............................

The law will have accomplished exactly what? Yet, a lot of people will feel good that we did something ... even though it didn't really fix anything.

[/COLOR][/LEFT]

This has been my thought all along. Help those who are real US citizens who need it and leave the rest of us alone. Simple fix.
    charly

There ought to be one day -- just one -- when there is open season on Congressmen.
    ~Will Rogers~

The only real fix for those who have policies canceled and huge rate increase is to give them back their medical rating. The community rating is what is killing us. The clowns is Washington and Obama can run their mouths all they want but they are not dealing with the reason for the increases. In my personal case a full side by side analysis proved the new mapped plan was crap compared to my old policy all for the joy of paying 6 grand more per year.

I gained so much by my move. The only down side anyone might point at is that I go from a $25 copay for DR's visits to a $35 dollar copay. That would require 600 more visits per year to a primary care in network DR.
    But lets see. My ER copay drops from 150 to 100 on the first visit. The new mapped plan required a $500 copay for a second visit. My new oh so terrible plan keeps it at $100.
    So if god forbid I had 2 ER visits within a plan year, under the new and improved "obama mess" I would pay 650 out of pocket vs 200. For that joy per Obamma I would pay 6 thousand more per year.
    These are the real numbers.
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI