The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need advice

Default need advice

Hey guys I just recently posted a intro about my dog teal. Anyways as the hunting season is getting started I have realized that the exitement of hunting is negating her training. For example obedience is fair and can be corrected with a collar an sometimes she breaks. During training she is more obedient and is almost always steady. She spent 4 months with a pro and I wanted to get her back for the hunting season. My question is should I let her go back to the pro and miss this season or keep hunting her? I'm scared that I will let her get bad habits and my money would be wasted. I was going to send her back after hunting season to finish up casting and running blinds. Any advice is appreciated.

Send her back you will be glad you did. If shes not handling shes not ready to hunt anyway. Throwing shotgun shells can get expensive. How olds the pup?

11 months. I just hate to miss a hunting season with her.

Sorry will be a year old at the end of the month.

At some point you are going to introduce her to hunting situations. My best advice is if you choose to hunt with her, leave your gun at home and focus on the dog. Breaking can become a bad habit really fast and is definitely hard to break. Spending more time with the trainer will definitely translate well to the field, but all in all you have to maintain control in new situations and pups first hunts are definitely new situations. Bring a leash along if nothing else and make sure she cant break.

I know it sucks but you will have many more. I have a pup now that Id love to take but I'm going to wait until his training is done. Trust me though you will be glad you did.

Give your trainer a call, ask him what he thinks. Most likely he wants you to be happy with the training he has done and can give you solid advice.

Like ndk3819 says, your dog is going to have to get on the job training at some point. A few screw ups are not going to ruin your dog.

I am not super qualified to give advice about hunting so I will quit here. But, a few breaks are not going to ruin your dog.

Call your pro.
    Last edited by mitty; 11-15-2013 at 08:58 PM. Reason: typo
    Renee P

"leave your gun at home and focus on the dog. "

This is the best advice I ever received. Do this a few times and she'll figure it out. You need to let her know that you'r expectations are the same in the duck blind as they are during training. I have seen several dogs go through this. Once the DAH took this advice, the dog was fine.

Rob

Psalm 18:30: As for God, his way is perfect: the word of the LORD is tried: he is a buckler to all those that trust in him.

Byrdhouse Dillie Dallie JH 10/28/2010 -

Rob

First few shots in the morning with my dog I know he is going to try and break. Young dog and excitement will do it. Take a leash and stand on the end. My dog is steady 99% of the time but good precaution for first few shots. Also rocks are a lot cheaper to throw than shells grab a handful in blind bag and will help on the retrieve they don't mark down at first. Enjoy it and focus more on the dog til you see they are figuring it out.
    My two cents!!
    Lone Oak's Marley Man.. (My first)

Quote Originally Posted by jplewis33 View Post
    Hey guys I just recently posted a intro about my dog teal. Anyways as the hunting season is getting started I have realized that the exitement of hunting is negating her training. For example obedience is fair and can be corrected with a collar an sometimes she breaks. During training she is more obedient and is almost always steady. She spent 4 months with a pro and I wanted to get her back for the hunting season. My question is should I let her go back to the pro and miss this season or keep hunting her? I'm scared that I will let her get bad habits and my money would be wasted. I was going to send her back after hunting season to finish up casting and running blinds. Any advice is appreciated.
    The water and ducks will always be there for another season. You made a small investment...Ask yourself...Was it worth your money and what are your expectations?