The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 National Retriever Championship BLOG

Quote Originally Posted by Mastercaster View Post
    I noticed that, too. Do you think the lighting conditions are attributable?
    something obviously affected the difficulty of the test, could be wind, lighting, or a combination or maybe the odds said so many dogs will probably handle and a large portion of those handles came in a group, just happy that #72 did well in the midst of the carnage.........

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    something obviously affected the difficulty of the test, could be wind, lighting, or a combination or maybe the odds said so many dogs will probably handle and a large portion of those handles came in a group, just happy that #72 did well in the midst of the carnage.........
    I bet! Holland was right in the middle of it.

Quote Originally Posted by blake_mhoona View Post
    without giving the dogs number out and only being able to go off what the blog gives us what do you think was the deciding factor in cutting this dog after 3? again i'm not trying to stir the pot i'm truly interested in learning. obviously being there and seeing it in person would probably give us all more of an idea but judging from the callbacks most of the dogs cut had handles and this one didnt. the short retired in 3rd could have been better but is that as bad as a handle?

most of my picks are still in it so i dont have a dog in the fight. just curious

1st & 2nd
    Flyer: traveled left of the bird then immediately turned to retrieve the bird.
    Mem: Drilled it!
    Blind: early whistle up front, with few whistles to complete the retrieve.

3rd
    Flyer: Pinned it!
    SR: traveled a line wide and right of the holding blind, squared the pond exitng to the right of the gun station driving deep up the hill to turn and make a large loop to the correct side of the holding blind down to the area to complete the retrieve.
    LR: traveled a nice line under the arc of the mark cont. to drive up the hill and then hunted her way back to the bird.
    If you look at the dogs that were dropped, many of them went long up the hill on the long bird and hunted back.
    Josie Ottman

"Life is always a rich and steady time when you are waiting for something to happen or to hatch," E.B. White, Charlotte's Web

www.RetrieverResults.com -- points, profiles and perspective.
    New reports on Qualifiers and Entrants for National Open, National Amateur, Master National and Canadian National and Canadian National Amateur.

Just want to say a huge thank you for the excellent blog and keeping us all posted. GREAT JOB!

During the time that we had several handles it didn't seem like anything changed. I watched all of those dogs. The gun stations were fine, no extra wind or little wind all about the same. It was weird something changed many folks tried to pull the left side momma/poppa secondor third and then over ran and handled.

The flyer station probably gave the most issues. It was very hit or miss on where it landed.

Holland smacked it and so did Wiley. The. Many handles.

Cheers

chris

interested to hear how some would pick it up. shortest to longest would say Pop, Mom, LR, Flyer.
    But would you be hesitant to send back to same station after picking up Pop (go bird) to try and send to Mom? leading to a Pop, LR, Mom, Flyer?

Watched all of the above. Mom first, then rb, then pop and flier last. But most took flyer third and pop last.

Wiley told Dave she wanted flyer third. He initially lined up for pop third, but she came in and locked onto flier and he listened.

Something changed and many dogs over ran the pop and needed a quick handle to keep them from driving up the hill.

Cheers

Chris

Is ee not updating the pickem or there something I need to refresh?
    Tim

Is ee not updating the pickem or there something I need to refresh?
    Tim

Did they complete 6th ?