The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 National Retriever Championship BLOG

Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post
    That just about says it all.

I think you guys who are doing the blog are doing a fine job... But, if you are working with one hand tied behind your back...

Here we are in 2013, and getting less info (even something as simple as the test diagram) than in the recent past. What the heck are they afraid of?
    lower subscription renewals (huge sarcasm eye roll)...all they have to do is watermark any image that they feel like they own...there is a good chance that many of these tests will be coming at your local FT next spring
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by 2tall View Post
    Good question Bill. I can't believe they can keep photographers out. It is not a "private" event, and what do they hope to accomplish? I do love the blog, thanks ladies!
    Carol : somewhere in the fine print it reads that all images are owned by the National Retriever Club and in reality it is a private event...their trial, their rules
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

It says 13 had a handle, but the description of the all the marks say he recovered the marks well. Except it does say that it appeared he was sent for the LTR, but went to the Flyer instead. Does that count as a handle?

He was called back to the 7th!

Senior Member Mike Peters-labguy23's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by T.Lanczak View Post
    im sure the person felt terrible. when they are stuck behind a holding blind unable to see what is going on and radio communication breaks down it can happen.
    Plus one of the judges should be watching to verify the blind is down. I have spent time in a blind at a national and it is nothing like a weekend trial. You are totally hidden farther away from the blind than most weekend trials and you can't see or hear much of anything.
    Mike Peters

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Peters-labguy23 View Post
    Plus one of the judges should be watching to verify the blind is down. I have spent time in a blind at a national and it is nothing like a weekend trial. You are totally hidden farther away from the blind than most weekend trials and you can't see or hear much of anything.
    At the National, it is the job of one of the marshal's to confirm that it is down.

Someone asked about the "short distances"...if they were done with range finding binoculars, there's actually a LOT more distance due to the terrain changes.

Someone asked why retire the mom and pop...they did not retire until after dog picked up first bird from the ones I saw. The bird was actually more angled back and a lot closer to where the gunners were standing...much tighter than the picture looked.

This was the case in 1st and 2nd series as well. Another thing you can't see in the pictures is how much the terrain changes from start to finish.

On the two blinds, the first 20 yards counted by the binoculars actually went about 20 feet down a steep bank from the top of the dam (you can actually see the dam in the picture of the 3rd series, but even from that perspective, you can't see how far it is from the top of the dam to the basin. The land blind has yet another basin to go through where the patch/line of pine trees is just to the right of the line. After crossing the road, the line to the blind is actually going slightly uphill at an angle across the hill as well.

The 7th series, they're at Wood Duck pond, there's one really big washed out area on one side, the other side is terraced to try to prevent washouts.
    High Tess JH
    Cedar Swamp's Linden JH
    Cedar Swamp's Cuttin a Rug
    Cedar Swamp's Holy Terror JH (3 SH passes)
    Blackfoot's Mr Independence at Cedar Swamp JH
    Cedar Swamp's Angel in Disguise
    Cedar Swamp's Test Pilot
    Cedar Swamp's Bonanza
    Cedar Swamp's Twisted Sister

Others have also graced our hearts...gone not forgotten.
    RC Buckshot of Seven Hickories MH
    Ceader Swamp's Deuces Wild SH
    Fallen Timber's Second Chance MH
    Ceader Swamp's Mac Millett SH
    and several others...

43 back to the 7th, 31 of those clean (according to the callbacks page)
    God, Family, Country & LSU Football.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Fryer View Post
    43 back to the 7th, 31 of those clean (according to the callbacks page)
    31 who have not handled which does not necessarily equate to "clean"

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Mc View Post
    Is ee not updating the pickem or there something I need to refresh?
    I look forward to seeing this updated to see how we are all doing. Don't see much use in having it if it won't be updated IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by T.Lanczak View Post
    We tried our hardest but the powers to be wont let us make them public, and we do not have time to sketch our own. Sorry
    A bad policy!
    Sketches should have been No. 1 priority.

Bill Connor