The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 14 of 28 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 National Retriever Championship BLOG

Jean Wu is there doing sketches but they will be in the Retriever Trial News. Jean does excellent sketches as many of us have seen in the past.

Jennifer, I had the same question re the handle noted on Rip -- dog 13 -- as it wasn't indicated in the first description. Just went back and it appears to have been changed.

Tera---thanks for all your hard work doing this for everyone at home. I miss being there and seeing it all "up close and personal" but it is wonderful to be able to follow it from afar.

Glenda

The pond is called Wood Duck and is the smallest of the pond complexes at H. Cooper Black. Here is a site that might give a better of the view. The sun sets at about the 7 position -- on a clock face. From the verbal description, I suspect the mat is in one of the two indents shown to the left of the metal roofed building in the upper portion of the picture. In this view there is some kind of scum on a goodly portion of the pond. Except near the edges the pond is swimming water.

https://www.google.com/maps/preview#...!2m1!1e3&fid=7
    SouthFork Fly

I just saw the picture shown in the blog. If the picture was taken from the mat, then the mat is to the right of the building with metal roof -- near the tree line. See reply 132 for picture WEB site.
    SouthFork Fly

Folks, the girls taking the photos, updating the Blog, describing dog work are doing everything they can to make sure everyone gets their National fix satisfied. In addition, All of the Volunteers are working their behinds off to make sure things go smoothly. There are never enough helpers at the National, and I am sure if you feel folks are not doing good enough they would be very grateful for you to take 2-3 weeks off from work, pay for your own travel and hotel expenses and VOLUNTEER For Next YEAR. Support, and be Thankful for those that make this happen!
    David Barrow
    Formerly registered as "Southernman"

The Retriever News is going about this bass ackwards. I am a subscriber and have been for many years. But in this day and age to tout your blog and how great it will be... Only to censor the information allowed to be disseminated is idiotic. They would build much more "good will" by putting out a complete product. As it is, the are turning away potential and existing subscribers. Maybe they went to the Barack Obama school of website development?

It seems to me that each National is just a little more restricted than the previous in terms of actual information available.

Imagine tuning in to the Super Bowl only to find the screen greyed out and a note that says buy our magazine next month for a complete report... Meanwhile... Stay tuned and we will let you know who wins.
    Bill Davis

Quote Originally Posted by David Barrow View Post
    Folks, the girls taking the photos, updating the Blog, describing dog work are doing everything they can to make sure everyone gets their National fix satisfied. In addition, All of the Volunteers are working their behinds off to make sure things go smoothly. There are never enough helpers at the National, and I am sure if you feel folks are not doing good enough they would be very grateful for you to take 2-3 weeks off from work, pay for your own travel and hotel expenses and VOLUNTEER For Next YEAR. Support, and be Thankful for those that make this happen!
    David Barrow
    Well said David, most of the workers are giving up THEIR time for this event, without pay. Sincere thanks to all, without your support, this wouldn't be possible.
    Dave Opseth

In the gallery again today and am very familiar with the wood duck pond. There is never any cell coverage way back in this hole in the forest and today was no exception! I spoke with Tina (Retriever News) and she stated that they were having to get out to call the office in an attempt to get the info out. Let me say that this magazine team has been non stop in there efforts this week, I've seen them at work. I know that I'm am appreciative that they are going to the effort to cover this event as well as others in the past. Ralph Ardis
    Last edited by Labs Will-Do; 11-21-2013 at 07:25 PM.

I think that there is a mis-conception about who runs the event It is the Field Trial Committee (FTC), not the Retriever News (RN).

The artistic drawings that are prepared during set up week when tests go into the "book" are controlled by the FTC, not the RN. If the FTC has made a decision not to release the diagrams, the Retriever News has no recourse but to accept that decision.

At the 2013 NARC, the folks that staff the RN Tent (Tina, Gwen, and Tera) were there at 6 am in the morning and left at 8 or later in the evening. They work hard and deserve our thanks, not criticism.
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)

www.freeridinretrievers.com

Hi there,

I'm in Australia and keeping watch via the Blog on the National. I only know one person in the field, Jim & Willy, but have heard of many of the names of handlers that are competing. I am finding having a brief description of each dog on each test to be very beneficial, although, are they also doing a description of dogs/handlers not getting through ? I think you call it being "picked up". That would be good to read as well, rather than a name just not being there.

Also, as a complete stranger to who is who, I too would like to see a caption of who the photos depict as in spectators, workers etc. The photos otherwise, mean absolutely nothing to me.

All in all, a great job is being done here, something that would have been wonderful at our own Australian Nationals. Keep up the good work.

Kerry

Quote Originally Posted by fetchindawgs View Post
    Hi there,

I'm in Australia and keeping watch via the Blog on the National. I only know one person in the field, Jim & Willy, but have heard of many of the names of handlers that are competing. I am finding having a brief description of each dog on each test to be very beneficial, although, are they also doing a description of dogs/handlers not getting through ? I think you call it being "picked up". That would be good to read as well, rather than a name just not being there.

Also, as a complete stranger to who is who, I too would like to see a caption of who the photos depict as in spectators, workers etc. The photos otherwise, mean absolutely nothing to me.

All in all, a great job is being done here, something that would have been wonderful at our own Australian Nationals. Keep up the good work.

Kerry
    yes if next to the dogs name you see the word "handle" then in one of the marks description it will say what went wrong. if it says "picked up" then you will see where they tried to handle on one of the marks and for whatever reason the dog wouldnt take a cast etc they picked up the dog. i think there have been onky 3 pick ups the whole week? one of which was an injury (all be it he had gunner help before so technically he picked up before the injury)

if your talking about dogs that got "cut" that is to say their cumulative work didnt pass that round then yes they are also showing those dog's work in each round. it is up to you to differentiate what they did wrong based on descriptions (again they are not complete descriptions as only being there would provide that). but all dogs are being blogged about