The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1725262728 LastLast

Thread: 2013 National Retriever Championship BLOG

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    This is Mr. Farmer's 4th National win, one in each of the last four decades, quite an accomplishment I think.

1989 NFC-AFC Otus of Redfern
    1995 NFC Vinwood Takes a Lickin
    2001 NFC-AFC Eagle Ridge Rocket Sam
    2013 NFC Trumarc's Dot Come

Congratulations my friend, you are, in my very humble opinion, the best!
    I think that makes him the only person to win a National in 4 different decades.

This is only my second year following the blog. Had a great time. All these dogs are exceptional.

Thanks.
    Keith

Great dogs! Great handlers! Great blog! I will be following the action again.
    Hebrews 11:3 By faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that the things which are seen were not made of things which are visible.

What if all we have today is what we gave thanks for yesterday?

Before everyone leaves could I ask a question or two. firstly, callbacks. Are these done by the judges after judging a series, and if a dog/handler has completed all the retrieves why wouldn't they go on to the next series ? What criteria is used for callbacks ?
    In Australia in trials, if a dog/handler has completed all the retrieves set within a run (aka series), then that team automatically goes on to the next, no question. A judge can call in a dog during a run therefore eliminating them from further competition, or a handler can retire his dog from competition by calling their dog in themselves, but essentially, if all game is picked up and the judge has allowed the competitor to complete the run then that dog gets to go on to the next one.

Also, you have one winner. Are there no placings or other awards done ?

Again, over here we have placings in a National to 5th place. There are also minor awards for HS Labrador, Golden & minor breed; HS Veteran; HS lady handler; youngest dog to complete the trial; award to breeder of winning dog; etc.

Congratulations to the winning dog and handler, and it is so nice to see a bitch doing so well. Also to Judy for breeding this bitch. I do know Judy from when she stayed with me during her seminar in Austalia a few years ago, so well done Judy.

Only thing that would have added to this blog would have been some video of dogs running in the field, but well done to all who contributed to these updates.

Congrats to Team Farmer!! as well as Keith Thompson! Great accomplishment!

Aaron
    AFC Iron Lines Sergeant Pepper "Pepper"
    FC FTCH Westwood's Sunday Silence "Buck"
    Sweet Swingin' Fred MH ***

www.southforkkennelsllc.com

Quote Originally Posted by fetchindawgs View Post
    Before everyone leaves could I ask a question or two. firstly, callbacks. Are these done by the judges after judging a series, and if a dog/handler has completed all the retrieves why wouldn't they go on to the next series ? What criteria is used for callbacks ?
    In Australia in trials, if a dog/handler has completed all the retrieves set within a run (aka series), then that team automatically goes on to the next, no question. A judge can call in a dog during a run therefore eliminating them from further competition, or a handler can retire his dog from competition by calling their dog in themselves, but essentially, if all game is picked up and the judge has allowed the competitor to complete the run then that dog gets to go on to the next one.

Again, over here we have placings in a National to 5th place. There are also minor awards for HS Labrador, Golden & minor breed; HS Veteran; HS lady handler; youngest dog to complete the trial; award to breeder of winning dog; etc.

Congratulations to the winning dog and handler, and it is so nice to see a bitch doing so well. Also to Judy for breeding this bitch. I do know Judy from when she stayed with me during her seminar in Austalia a few years ago, so well done Judy.

Only thing that would have added to this blog would have been some video of dogs running in the field, but well done to all who contributed to these updates.
    The only criteria for call-backs is that judges call back the dogs they want to look at again - that is those dogs they think may have a chance of winning. Callbacks in the early series may be more generous but definitely get tighter in the last few series. As the work can vary greatly just because a dog picks up all the birds does not necessarily mean he gets to play again. And yes, there is only a winner, but being a finalist at the National is bragging rights in itself.

Quote Originally Posted by fetchindawgs View Post

The only criteria for call-backs is that judges call back the dogs they want to look at again - that is those dogs they think may have a chance of winning. Callbacks in the early series may be more generous but definitely get tighter in the last few series. As the work can vary greatly just because a dog picks up all the birds does not necessarily mean he gets to play again. And yes, there is only a winner, but being a finalist at the National is bragging rights in itself.

New NFC Trumarc's Dot Come (Dottie) is generation #6 of dogs owned and trained by Judy Aycock including 2 other National champions.

These dogs who are her direct ancestors are buried 50 feet from my house.

NFC-AFC San Joaquin Honcho who sired
    NAFC-FC Trumarc's Zip Code who sired
    FC-AFC Trumarc's Ziparoo who sired
    AFC Candlewood's Ms Costalot who produced
    FC-AFC Trumarc's Lean Cuisine

[QUOTE=fetchindawgs;1165670]Before everyone leaves could I ask a question or two. firstly, callbacks. Are these done by the judges after judging a series, and if a dog/handler has completed all the retrieves why wouldn't they go on to the next series ? What criteria is used for callbacks ?

What would be a reason for a judge to call a dog in? Obviously a big hunt or a switch.

What happens if you handle on a mark?

Here the judge can also call a dog in by telling the handler to pick up or handle.

Pick ing up all the birds in a series is required of course but it's how the dog does it vs. all the other dogs.
    John Lash

"If you run Field Trials, you learn to swallow your disappointment quickly."

"Field trials are not a game for good dogs. They're for great dogs with great training." E. Graham

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    New NFC Trumarc's Dot Come (Dottie) is generation #6 of dogs owned and trained by Judy Aycock including 2 other National champions.

These dogs who are her direct ancestors are buried 50 feet from my house.

NFC-AFC San Joaquin Honcho who sired
    NAFC-FC Trumarc's Zip Code who sired
    FC-AFC Trumarc's Ziparoo who sired
    AFC Candlewood's Ms Costalot who produced
    FC-AFC Trumarc's Lean Cuisine
    Ed, how cool is that? Very impressive production record, as well as winning! Congrats!
    Sharon Potter

www.redbranchkennels.net

Chesapeake Bay Retrievers...too many to list.

Team Huntsmith