RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

2013 National Retriever Championship BLOG

69K views 270 replies 97 participants last post by  DoubleHaul 
#1 · (Edited)
IT'S LIVE!!! The Retriever News Team has begun covering the events surrounding the 2013 National Retriever Championship (NRC) in Cheraw, SC. The competition begins Nov. 17,2013 at 7:00 A.M. Stay Tuned as we will make updates frequently........

http://2013nrcblog.theretrievernews.com/

Once again The Retriever News Team encourages comment on the BLOG and ask the comments be made directly on the Retriever News website. Thank you and the news team looks forward to interacting with our audience.

ENJOY the BLOG!
;)

#202 ·
Good Morning its 6am out west and I wake up and find that the 10th series is coming up..Good Luck to all who have reach this part of the trial

#208 · (Edited)
Just a thought...with the limitations of cell service where Nationals are usually held, wouldn't it be useful for the national clubs and/or the RN to rent a Satellite phone or computer for the event? (With the Sat phone, reports could be called out to someone at a computer anywhere in the world instantly)

Are we trying to grow FT's or restrain growth? If we are trying to grow the sport, this is the keystone event. The Super Bowl, World Series of of the retriever world. Folks want to read, see and hear everything they can about it. Feedback that is not a glowing compliment to a particular person is not necessarily an insult or criticism as some want to take it... Just friendly reminders that lots of folks out here in the dog world that can't be at the National want to know what's going on and are hanging on to their computers. We have all become hooked to our iPads, phones etc... We are used to instant info. The retriever world is catching up... But slowly.

PS... The ladies actually doing the blog are doing a great job with what they have to work with.

Just one mans opinion.

#210 ·
i agree with you Bill. The RN reporters are doing great with what they are allowed to do, but this isn't only about technology. The controls and censorship on the national have watered it down and have made it less dynamic and interesting. One prime example is not posting the drawings. Those drawings give a much different perspective to the test- where you can see - 2-track, a road, a little stream going through the test that you don't see in the pictures. They have always been posted in the past. Why not post them now? It certainly doesn't affect the sales of retriever news, because I am also subscriber to that. But it would help me enjoy the test, know why the dogs are doing what they are doing,and have a better understanding of the commentary on the blog as it goes along. In the. Old days, there was a reporter and video clips. Granted the AKC was involved. We also used to have two blogs. Now we keep losing information. Very sad. Again, Tina, Tera and Gwen are doing great job. I think it's just time to let us have more information and expand our reporting.

#211 ·
Darnit!! I was pulling for John Thomas' Cane

#215 ·
Tough break for #16 Mercy. She was the first (only?) dog to complete the original 9th before it was scrapped - and from my perspective did a nice job - then stumbled on the new set-up. It was a great experience to watch these talented teams. Congrats to all who qualified and esp to those who made it to the 10th. Sorry we could not stay to watch the final.

#216 ·
Does anyone know what REV dog 61 did in the 9th? I know he did the set up but there was no summary on the blog about his run.

Thanks

#218 ·
From blog..

61. FC-AFC Rev Blu Genes “Rev”, LM, Ed Forry

came to the line at 4:41 pm

RF: tight quick hunt

MR: straight to the area to retrieve the bird. Good mark!

HFR: traveled under the arc to turn and retrieve the bird.

#217 ·
Since I started following in 2006, the coverage has gotten poorer. No video, no commentary allowed anywhere but on the sanctioned blog, no photos except those originating from "approved" NRC sources, (and sorry Bon, if Cooper Black is open to any would be spectators and the public, photographers can not be forbidden to take or display any photos taken). On top of that, in the last couple of years the ladies on the blog team have done a great job and timely, . . . until the last few series. As the field is narrowed down, the real time news and info stops. Somehow, info is being stifled. For what purpose, by whom, I do not know. All I know is watching these events via internet is about as close as I will ever get to the real thing. All this protectionism does nothing to build interest in the game.

#231 ·
Perhaps you're not linking in to the RTN website which is current to within a few minutes? And while we there there were a number of folks taking pics and videos and sharing via their smartphones or whatever when they could get adequate signal. However, there are cell coverage holes all over Cooper Black, Wood Duck Pond and Palmetto Field being among the poorest. So communication from those series was constrained.
While it's too bad that coverage of the NRC does not meet your expectations not all disappointments in life are the result of some conspiracy plot.

#222 ·
Carol: you are preaching to the choir....the NRC cant prohibit you or anyone from taking pictures of anything you want at Cooper Black or any other public venue..agreed...But the event itself can be a whole different issue...I can be asked to leave the FT grounds area if I break any regs of the FT itself..just like a sporting event if I whip out my cellphone they can ask me to please refrain from using it, and if I disagree then they have the right to have me removed from the FT area

Lets let them battle that out elsewhere....lets enjoy this 10th series and see who emerges as the new champion

#223 ·
In the last two pictures on the blog NRC site it showed Danny Farmer without black gloves and Jerry Patopea with black gloves.Are the gloves not worn by all or is it b/c these are marks? What IF you had to handle? Just curious.

#225 ·
MLM : I will have to find the video of Danny's bird boy Chester and how he explains the Danny Farmer casting method....it is a must see video

#224 ·
Do they do this often?
All 4 birds were shot at once with streamers flying in the air. The judges turned to the handlers and to the gallery and said "Welcome to the 10th Series!"

Just got in and missed some things I see!

#228 ·
Based on the photos associated with dog #45 and the description given in the blog, I believe the 10th series is back at Goose Pond where the third series was held. I looked at the following WEB site which shows a satellite view of the pond. In the satellite view, North is approximately at 12 noon and South at 6.

https://www.google.com/maps/preview#!data=!1m4!1m3!1d2190!2d-79.9242102!3d34.5638212!2m1!1e3&fid=7

If this WEB site does not work for you, perhaps you can find another site that shows Goose Pond.

I believe the long point associated with the 2nd bird down – Left Retired (LR), is the point under the “Goose Pond” label. Based on the descriptions for the four marks and the photos on the blog this would put the mat in the general area of the very small triangle formed by the roads in the middle of the view.

#230 ·
https://www.google.com/maps/preview#!data=!1m4!1m3!1d2190!2d-79.9242102!3d34.5638212!2m1!1e3&fid=7

I believe the long point associated with the 2nd bird down – Left Retired (LR), is the point under the “Goose Pond” label. Based on the descriptions for the four marks and the photos on the blog this would put the mat in the general area of the very small triangle formed by the roads in the middle of the view.
Thanks! This really helped me envision the test.

#237 ·
If the blog's callbacks are correct, it appears as though the last dog has run although it seems they might mention that on the blog so can't be sure. And if the callbacks again, are correct, it looks like 3 dogs completed all 10 series without a handle. There are quite a few with 2 handles and one may presume that they are not in contention so now it is up to the only people who matter- the judges.

#238 ·
Not having seen the dogs work, it is hard to tell. Just because someone didn't handle doesn't necessarily mean that their work was superior (though it might have been). Personally, I'd rather see a quick handle than a
gorilla hunt.
I'd like to add my thanks to the Blog ladies for a job well done!

#240 ·
My implication was that the dogs with two handles might not be in contention- regardless, all dogs appeared to have finished and attained the status of finalist so kudos to all. But, there will be only one 2013 NRChampion so good luck and to all the dogs who qualified - great job this year!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.