The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: To Much Drive?

Quote Originally Posted by T-bone View Post
    Our problem is that he's under control at the line but goes like a bat out of hell in the field with no regard to anything in his path. That issue is a hard one to manage no matter who you are or what your skill level may be.
    I know this feeling. It's "exciting" when you ALWAYS have to have a breath drawn for a whistle when you are running a blind. And he is still too fast for you sometimes.
    Last edited by RookieTrainer; 11-24-2013 at 07:41 AM.
    Steve Wyatt

HR Belle's Rolling Big Rig "Jimmy"

No problem Steve. Stick with it! I made all the same mistakes & paid the same price. Experience is always the best teacher.
    Mark Land

Quote Originally Posted by KNorman View Post
    Generally, in my experience, when you see someone crowing about their dog being a firebreather, it usually means a newbie who's impressed by their dog's desire w/o a clue how the rein them in.
    Love this quote; Just my experience but; Experienced trainers with true fire-breathers (the most well-known Pro to a knowledgeable Amateur); Cuss them way more than they crow . You hear a bunch of colorful & inventive language going to and from the line with particular dogs .

True Fire-breathers; (those which dance the line btw barely in control and un-trainable/washouted) are appreciated by the watchers way more than they are by the handler-trainer, I'd bet most would take a bit more control and a tad less drive; and the term "fire-breather" is more of a curse than praise.
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 11-25-2013 at 12:17 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

LOL "washouted"

Huntemup's got it right though much more fun to watch
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com

After reading all these posts, I am not sure what the term "drive" means. Does a dog that runs fast but has no clue where it is going have drive. Does a dog that runs fast but is undiciplined as to where it is supposed to go have "drive"? Does a dog that goes out at medium speed to the AOF and makes a gallant effort to dig out a bird in super hard cover, have "drive"?

I have an old girl lying at my feet who once ran out and snatched a duck out of the mouth of my friend's dog, leaving him standing there without a clue what happened. She was fast as lightening but did she have "drive"?

Not trying to start another pissing contest but I do think the term is hard to define.

I can see why your are having problems? That's because people see it in different ways. Some have different categories of drive, pray drive, defense drive, food drive, pack drive and so on.

I myself try to put in the most simplest term.(THE DESIRE TO GET WHAT THEY WANT) If Their drive overwhelms their working attitude ( willingness to please) I would say they where a fire breather. These dogs live in the moment and are a hand full to train to say the least.

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by truthseeker View Post
    I can see why your are having problems? That's because people see it in different ways. Some have different categories of drive, pray drive, defense drive, food drive, pack drive and so on.

I myself try to put in the most simplest term.(THE DESIRE TO GET WHAT THEY WANT) If Their drive overwhelms their working attitude ( willingness to please) I would say they where a fire breather. These dogs live in the moment and are a hand full to train to say the least.

Keith
    Boy that makes a lot of sense. Drive and no decipline and you have a fire breather. Drive and decipline and we have a dog we all desire.

Quote Originally Posted by truthseeker View Post

Keith
    Boy that makes a lot of sense. Drive and no decipline and you have a fire breather. Drive and decipline and we have a dog we all desire.

Nothing to add, but I couldn't resist being the 100th post to this interesting thread.
    "When a man is proud of his dog and shows it, I like him. When his dog is proud of him and shows it, I deeply respect him. Gene Hill

Quote Originally Posted by TexGold View Post
    Nothing to add, but I couldn't resist being the 100th post to this interesting thread.
    That made me laugh
    Tim Doane , Kingseed Kennels
    GRHRCH UH Hunters Marsh King Elijah MNH QAA "Ely"
    GRHRCH Kingseeds Little Miss Dangerous MNH QAA " Stella "
    HRCH Kingseeds Queen Of Grace MH " Hannah "
    Kingseeds She's A Classic " Layla "
    www.kingseedkennels.com