The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Open national St Louis 1993 or 1998?

Default Open national St Louis 1993 or 1998?

Was the open national held in St louis in 1993 or 1998

?

Thankyou.
    Field trial labradors, the wind beneath my wings,

sometimes poop under my boots.

Not certain when the first one was held there but from at least 1970 until 2006 It was at the Busch Conservation Area in Weldon Springs MO every four years.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie View Post
    Was the open national held in St louis in 1993 or 1998

?

Thankyou.
    Held in St Louis 1994 my FC/AFC Mioaks Criquetpas was a finalist. Don't know about other years without researching.
    Earl Dillow

in the fall of '74 we pooled our financial resources to send Clint's friend/mentor John Luther to run the National at Weldon Springs Mo. w/Judge who was just 3.5yrs old, the conditions were brutally cold, one of the worst on record,it was a small field of only 60 entries and they finished in 4 days but also went 11 series..Judge went out after the 7th series along with 16 others ,a good many other big names including the current NAFC Ray's Rascal w/ Goodrich, Piper/McFall, Anny/Quinn, Weitzel/Chief, and Jill/Lanse

Years later after I got to know who he was, Lanse sent me a picture of the Amateurs who ran dogs at that National along with a story of who they were, which was very cool, he confirmed how cold and brutal the conditions were and what the dogs had to endure including breaking ice on more than a few retrieves. I just remember hearing John tell is how he had to borrow a heavy jacket from a fellow competitor because they had come from Florida the week before to qualify and had not prepared for late Nov in Missouri
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

The 1974 National, 11/12-15/74 Busch WLA, Weldon Spring, Mo.

Five dogs ran the 11th - Pearl/Honore, O Crow, Winner; Gahonk's ..... Totom/H Sorenson, O White; Magic Marker of Timber Town, O/H Simonds; River Oaks Corky, O/H Mike Flannery; Toni's Blaine Child/H Sorenson, O Leatherbury; Wanapum Dart's Dandy, O/H Charlie Hill.

Corky ran a hell-of-a-trial. Two incidents stand out in my memory. First series, Joe Pilar had Rascal steady/no creeping, Rascal went out, couldn't mark the double. Eight series, throwing the "delay" flier off the line, I saw Joe Schomer forget the delay flier and send Rocky Road of Zenith for the memory bird.

Four years later again a birdthrower, November 13-17, '78, eleven dogs completed ten series and Shadow of Otter Creek, O/H Bob Kennon Won.

Both years typical St. Louis weather and in a couple of series ice had to be broken, but conditions never approached what the weather was like in 1964. Freezing rain, snow, and temps at zero the last day - Friday. The Winner in 1964 was a cold water bitch, RIPCO'S V.C. MORGAN, handled by Paul Shoemaker, owned by J. D. Ott, Seattle, Washington.

Bill Connor
    Last edited by canuckkiller; 11-17-2013 at 08:10 PM.