The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: New to training and starting with a 6 month old lab

Default New to training and starting with a 6 month old lab

Like the title says I'm new to all this! I've been messing around with the idea of training my black lab puppy to become a house dog as well as a duck dog. I have made the decision to start training him and to take him out hunting with me. He will be six months old Nov. 22. I hope this is not too late to start training him! Any and all feed back is much appreciated. I have been teaching him to sit, stay and come, but not in any formal manner. I recently purchased the Tom Dokken puppy training kit from gundogsupply.com. He is a very smart pup I just hope it's not too late to get started with training. We have also been throwing a tennis ball to him and he retrieves it and brings it back like a pro but I'm sure I probably shouldn't be doing that anymore. He's already been introduced to water and loves it. I got the dog from my girlfriends high school friend who lives in Salisbury, MD. They live on a farm and the mother is a hunting dog for their family. He was fortunate enough to go swimming with his litter mates and momma in the Chesapeake bay at a very young age to he takes to water like a fish. Again any feed back on how to get started and anything I should do or not do! Thanks and I look forward to hearing some good news about getting him grabbing up ducks in no time!
    image.jpgGunner.

Welcome to RTF. It is NOT too late to train your dog. Most formal training doesn't begin until after the pup's adult teeth come in. I'm assuming you are from the Eastern Shore of Maryland. We have quite a few good retriever clubs in the area that you might want to check out. It is a great way to get with experienced trainers and learn how to train your dog so it is a valuable addition to the family and while hunting. Please feel free to contact me as I'm in Easton, MD at four-one-oh four-six-three 0340 if you want more information about local retriever clubs and training groups in your area. Good luck with Gunner.
    Wendy Buckler, President
    Maryland Retriever Club
    AFC Black Magic's Return to Lender "Repo"
    Candlewoods Fox-C Mel, MH QAA "Mel"

Quote Originally Posted by lbbuckler View Post
    Welcome to RTF. It is NOT too late to train your dog. Most formal training doesn't begin until after the pup's adult teeth come in. I'm assuming you are from the Eastern Shore of Maryland. We have quite a few good retriever clubs in the area that you might want to check out. It is a great way to get with experienced trainers and learn how to train your dog so it is a valuable addition to the family and while hunting. Please feel free to contact me as I'm in Easton, MD at four-one-oh four-six-three 0340 if you want more information about local retriever clubs and training groups in your area. Good luck with Gunner.
    Wendy Buckler, President
    Maryland Retriever Club
    Thanks! I'm actually in Montgomery county but still not too far from the shore. I was actually thinking about joining a club in the area but not sure how to go about finding one. Any easy way to find a club in my area?

I looked on Entry Express (www.entryexpress.net) and found the following clubs that hold AKC Hunt Tests near you along with one HRC club. I'm sure there are members near you that you could get together with and train. Training groups are always looking for new people that are willing to help out and you'll probably learn more than you could ever read about plus make new friendships. There is also Labrador Retriever Club of the Potomac, Del Bay Retriever Club, Susquehanna Retriever Club and my club; Maryland Retriever Club. Google the clubs name and they might have a website with more information.

Backs Bay Knotts Island Retriever Club
    Event Secretary Event Chairman
    Phyllis Giroux
    13727 Blackwells Mill Road
    Goldvein VA 22720
    DeepRunRet@aol.com
    540-752-4888
    Kevin McLaren
    966 Humbert Rd
    Crimora VA 24431
    msunret@newhopetel.net
    540-363-0811