The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Trophy ducks

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Teahan View Post
    Haven't seen any either.
    Napi pond had 18 pintails on it last Saturday, along with a bunch of widgeons, gadwalls, mallards, ruddy ducks, gw teal, and just a few redheads.
    Gonna try holding off to take a pintail first, then see what happens to all the birds after the first shot?
    Ruddy ducks? Never seen those here, too. Neat! Every now and then I'll see a bunch of pintails, but they aren't regulars here. Hopefully when you shoot the pintail you can get another 'cuase you're right, they will leave. But they come back later, too, or at least that was my experience.

These local guys are spooky. I have a friend visiting last weekend and we went down to the river by my house. The ducks were flaring off of decoys long before they could see us. We would have been better without decoys. We need some migrants to show up!
    Chuck

Had to look up what I was looking at.
    Small duck, sit kinda low on the water, and tail feathers that stick up like an angled back antenna.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Teahan View Post
    Had to look up what I was looking at.
    Small duck, sit kinda low on the water, and tail feathers that stick up like an angled back antenna.
    They seem to have "attitude".

IMHO a late season drake Canvasback, the King of Ducks, is a trophy of trophies.
    On my list of birds that I've never taken and would like to add to the Mancave wall: Eurasian Widgeon and Cinnamon Teal

One word of advice: don't leave your insanely birdy 10mo old pup unattended in the man cave with all your duck mounts on the wall for less than 5 min to refill your coffee... looked like it snowed duck feathers. Lost three Woodies, a redhead, and a gorgeous drake widgeon the size of a 747. Only myself to blame.

Fully plumed Ruddy...cuz it won't happen during hunting season.
    Last edited by kjrice; 11-18-2013 at 06:51 PM.
    A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths.

You guys need to make a trip to Missouri to kill some pintails they are all over like the shovelers. Nothing better to watch work than a big fat greenhead drake!!! Some thing about those orange feet as the are getting ready to hit the water and the blue on their wings.
    Lone Oak's Marley Man.. (My first)

On a slightly different note, I had a good friend in high school kill a barrow's goldeneye drake on a pond on a deer lease in the piney woods of SE Louisiana while wood duck hunting. He got it mounted and if memory serves me correct a local game warden told him the duck was probably about 1200 miles away from it's typical wintering grounds. That was a long time ago and I have never seen another one killed in south LA.

Quote Originally Posted by coachmo View Post
    On a slightly different note, I had a good friend in high school kill a barrow's goldeneye drake on a pond on a deer lease in the piney woods of SE Louisiana while wood duck hunting. He got it mounted and if memory serves me correct a local game warden told him the duck was probably about 1200 miles away from it's typical wintering grounds. That was a long time ago and I have never seen another one killed in south LA.
    Now that's a trophy. Rare bird with a great story attached.

Quote Originally Posted by coachmo View Post
    Neat... Shot mine in the earlier photo with the Bufflehead in Alaska. We had plenty of them there. Had a few in WA state as well when I was there.
    Bill Davis

I am pretty partial to Pintails myself. 20131118_113459.jpg