The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Trophy ducks

This is a pintail I shot in Western NY

A couple of birds I had mounted from a layout hunt on the Bay in MD.

Here's a real trophy my buddy and I doubled up on the St Lawrence River

HRC- Our season never ends

"Shoot fast or shoot last"

HR UH Nilsson's on a wing n a prayer SH WCX

eric,
    my favorite bands have pellet dents in them. love the pic!
    john mccallie

Quote Originally Posted by roseberry View Post
    eric,
    my favorite bands have pellet dents in them. love the pic!
    I agree, when the dog was bringing back the bird I saw it had a band on it and told my buddy who invited me that he could keep the band what I didn't see was the other one when he took it from his dog, so we shared them. it was banded the same day and same location, really not sure why I guess just a mistake
    HRC- Our season never ends

"Shoot fast or shoot last"

HR UH Nilsson's on a wing n a prayer SH WCX

Old Squaw, Pintail, Harlequin - I'm getting two drake hooded mergansers mounted this winter. They came in together and went down together. The dog made two memorable retrieves and I figured why not! Great memories
    Bob Owens
    President- Lone Duck Outfitters
    "Sharing Your Passion For The Unspoken Bond"
    www.loneduckoutfitters.com

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    a Spoony,Spoonbill....thats what we call them down south in Tex and Louisiana...."Hollywood" because they look like Daffy Duck....known as a trash duck with the guys I hunt with, very poor tasting duck, pretty plumage, but will decoy to just about any set up and call
    close bon...

hollywoods is a refernce to all the $$$ and big bills in hollywood

bootlips comes from a deregotary term towards african americans

i dont think i could be caught dead in arkansas with one mounted. id never get an invite to hunt again.

i know we are spoiled with woodies here but prolly will never get one mounted either. although i did have a neat idea for a male and female. we usually dont waste a shot on them simply because you'll waste all your shells at all of them zipping through the timber at legal shooting light. they are fun to watch though. one morning we literally had 10,000 just zigging and zagging wave after wave headed to the refuge

im still on the lookout for a pintail thats suitable to be mounted. most are all messed up from the mud in the rice fields or 6 of your buddies all shooting at the same "trophy"

only mount i have is the first mallard i ever killed. it was flying away after emptying my gun at it threw one more shell in the chamber and shot a prayer at 70 yards. splat. ended up going swimming for it since waders got stuck in the mud in chest deep water. best part was that it was my dads first hunt at 40 years old. he drove the boat out after he saw i forfieted my waders 10 feet from the bird. luckily water temp was only in 50s

Quote Originally Posted by blake_mhoona View Post
    close bon...

hollywoods is a refernce to all the $$$ and big bills in hollywood

bootlips comes from a deregotary term towards african americans

i dont think i could be caught dead in arkansas with one mounted. id never get an invite to hunt again.

i know we are spoiled with woodies here but prolly will never get one mounted either. although i did have a neat idea for a male and female. we usually dont waste a shot on them simply because you'll waste all your shells at all of them zipping through the timber at legal shooting light. they are fun to watch though. one morning we literally had 10,000 just zigging and zagging wave after wave headed to the refuge

im still on the lookout for a pintail thats suitable to be mounted. most are all messed up from the mud in the rice fields or 6 of your buddies all shooting at the same "trophy"

only mount i have is the first mallard i ever killed. it was flying away after emptying my gun at it threw one more shell in the chamber and shot a prayer at 70 yards. splat. ended up going swimming for it since waders got stuck in the mud in chest deep water. best part was that it was my dads first hunt at 40 years old. he drove the boat out after he saw i forfieted my waders 10 feet from the bird. luckily water temp was only in 50s

More Mhoon Mayhem... At an early age
    Bill Davis

Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post
    [/B]

More Mhoon Mayhem... At an early age
    i could probably fill a book with my mishaps and mayhems.

last year we were hunting the timber and for the first time in my 9 years of duck hunting nature called at 4:30 am. walked the boat over 150 yards out of the hole and sat over the side to do my business the chinese the night before was not nice. shooting light comes and after about 2 groups of 10-15 birds we realized we needed to relocate as the birds were funneling in out of camera range (we were filming for our duck call company) so we relocate to the west side of the hole.

at about 7:30 we caught a whiff of some of the foulest stinch ever. we attributed it to the dead and decaying acorns, leaves, and branches in the water (still early in the season and we were in waist deep water). finally it was light enough to see everything by 8 and low and behold we see a white substance floating all around us. after careful inspection it was in fact TP. apparently we got a little turned around and set up in the same spot i had visited earlier that morning.

we decide to relocate and in transit i trip over a log and land smack dab in the water. when i get up without being too graphic i realized that i needed more iron in my diet

My first mount my dogs first goose which happened to be a Blue * I got conned in to putting it on the wall . Next goal is drake Canvasback (missed him and got the hen last year; so I guess they'll be a set). Here the trophy is a tri-fecta but I'm missing the blue-wing teal (heck if I got an ugly one it would be mounted; we never get them here), Then a red-head; had a real nice one that I accidentally ate . I have a mallard drake in the freezer with 5 curls; I shot it @ Wister, which is pretty rare there; but it's a mallard, which I consider common. Pin-tail and spoonies are a dime a dozen out here; so it would have to be pretty special to mount one. Now Pin-Spoon hybrid would be mounted they had picture of one on the salton sea last year, so it better watch out
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 11-20-2013 at 11:24 AM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Ducks I have mounted: Canvasback, Redhead, Pintail{banded}, Mallard, Back Duck, Gadwall, Wood Duck, Drake and Hen Eider, White Wing Scoter and Old Squaw. I have a Blue Goose that should be back this week and I have a Speck at taxi now. What I want is a BWT and Cinnamon Teal. A nice Widgeon and a GWT will be mounted one day.(I have killed several just didn't mount)

A blue wing, I got this morning to go along with a green wing awaiting a trip to the taxidermist.

Now for a cinnamon.