RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Where were you???

5K views 29 replies 28 participants last post by  vergy 
#1 ·
So with the 50th anniversary of the assignation of JFK approaching it's been interesting reflecting on the day. I was in 7th grade at North Junior High in Brighton Colorado- Mr. Stillwells American History class. They were remodeling the cafeteria so to eat lunch we all had to march 2 blocks to the High School. As usual the local motorcycle cop was running traffic guard but this day he was clearly distraught and plainly had tears on his cheeks. Once we got to the High School- it was mayhem. Stunned silence mixed with tears and anger. The Principal and a couple of teachers rolled in TV sets to the cafeteria and we all sat on the floors watching as the events unfolded. Remember it like it was yesterday.

So why can't I remember what I had for breakfast regards

Bubba

#3 ·
I was 4 yrs old when JFK was assassinated. My brother Philip, 5 at the time, and I were outside playing wallball. Later that afternoon my brothers Lee and Michael, 15 and 10, told us that the "boogie man" was in Texas and had killed the president. Imagine that, big brothers scaring little brothers. I now teach U.S. History.

#4 ·
I was in Mr. Fairchild's 8th grade science class at Millikan JHS in Sherman Oaks, CA. I also remember sitting with my Mom and watching Oswald get shot on live TV. I remember him clutching his stomach and yelling out like in the movies and thinking, wow, people really do that when they get shot.

#5 ·
I was in 2nd grade at Buena Terra Elementary school in Buena Park Calif. just remember them herding us into the school busses and sending us home...

#7 ·
I was in the 5th grade. Littleton, Colorado, looking forward to the upcoming weekend to go Pheasant hunting with my Dad in Brighton Colorado.

I remember the principal coming over the loud speaker system, telling us all the President had been shot, and we were all going home for the rest of the day.

I also remember entering our house, and my mother in front of the T.V.crying.

#9 ·
I was 18 at the time and working managing a gas station. A customer came in and told me about it, then I turned on the radio and heard it for myself. Lots of people came in crying. I also saw Oswald and Ruby both shot on TV live.
I still don't believe Oswald was in this alone.

#10 ·
6 years old, in first grade, living in Dallas, TX. One of my earliest memories, which, no doubt, stuck with me because of the reactions of the adults around me. All the teachers were crying. We got out of school earlier and I went home to find my mother (possibly one of the least politically-aware people on the planet) crying.

Oddly, I was living in Las Angleles when Robert Kennedy was killed there a few years later. I was older and remember hearing about it while waiting in line to go into class, but the memories are no where near as vivid as the JFK assassination.

#14 ·
I was in forth grade and they let us out early.

After reading all about this guy, I would say that what happen was a tragedy, but maybe for the best. He let the mob into the white house and started the, it's only business and as long as I get my cut mentality. Witch I have a real problem with.

Keith

#17 ·
I was in Butte MT working as a supervisor in the mines. Remember telling my wife as she also remembers 'He's being stupid going to TX, LBJ wants that job too much". Sad day, wonder what the country & the world would be like if he had finished his terms & Goldwater would have been our next POTUS :?:.

#18 ·
I was in 2nd grade and we got sent home early. I can remember asking my grandfather if he had heard the news.

#20 ·
I was working on a loading dock when it was announced on the radio. I walked into the shipping floor to tell others. They thought I was joking and weren't happy with me. When they saw I was serious someone turned on the radio and everything stopped. I left work and went straight to the Marine recruiting booth in midtown Manhattan.

#22 ·
I was in 9th grade in Rochester NY. They stopped classes and sent everyone to homeroom and then broadcast the news. Being in a Catholic school, we said prayers until the normal time to leave. When I got home, my Mom was crying and just kept saying "They killed my President."

#27 ·
I was the same age but somehow remember it in vague terms. We lived outside of DC in Springfield. A few years later (maybe 66/67) the SS agent that dove on Mrs. Kennedy was over for dinner. I don't remember it well but do know that guilt was heavy - "If I'd been one step ahead, I would have been able to take that bullet".

#25 ·
On a related note: The 2013 movie about that day is really good. It's called "Parkland" with Paul Giamatti and Billy Bob Thornton. It's not about the conspiracy or rehash of politics. It's a close up look at the events on the day right down to the bystander who got the film footage. Paul G plays that guy. He was a tailor/ clothing shop owner who just got a brand new video camera. The movie follows him and the hospital staff and Oswald's brother, an upstanding blue collar worker. Also portrays Oswald's Mom. Interesting stuff.

Here's the trailer, although it doesn't do the movie justice: http://youtu.be/V5-Bg7ZrGAg

#28 ·
I was 13 and in band class in the high mountain town of Gunnison, Colorado. I remember it as if it were yesterday, the principle came to our class and told us what had happened. We were told to gather our jackets and quietly go home. My best friend, Ron Wille and I did something very unusual for us on the way home, we stopped in the Community Church and preyed. I remember feeling scared about what had happened. As I have grown up I realize how bad Kennedy was and more importantly how the 'Camelot' the media played to us nightly on Walter Cronkite, was all a big propaganda lie! He was a great orator, but had no moral compass, that fact was just hidden from us!

#29 ·
I was sitting in my 6th period English class in the 11th grade. The Principal announced the news over the intercom. That was a Friday and we had a homecoming parade scheduled for that sfternoon. Each class had spent the previous 2 weeks building floats for the parade. The parade was cancelled, but the floats were still displayed at the football game that night.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.