The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pet peeves when hunting with others?

Default Pet peeves when hunting with others?

Mine todate, is when the young guys that hunt with me occasionaly, bring their, untrained, undisciplined, sorry dogs, who won't sit still, won't be quiet, won't come when called, or even make a simple retrieve, let alone pick up a dead duck or even get in the water.
    After yesterday morning, I told them no more.....
    You either come alone or hunt with someone else, somewhere else.
    They think their house pet dogs are up to hunting dog status.
    Not by a long shot....
    Nice young guys, but I've had enough of it. Bring em when they are better trained.

Ah, I feel better now!

Feel your pain Mark, down here just about errybody has a crate in the back of their truck from August till Feb. Would bet that 99% of them have Shitteatas in them and a box of rocks somewhere in the truck. My peave is hunting with folks that won't let the ducks finish and can't identify ducks prior to pulling the trigger (spoonbill slayers).
    Just Win

How about dogs that wont kennel. Had a young kid bring his dog and chased it all over the place trying to catch it to get it in the crate. It made for some great laughs. But when the dog broke and started fighting for retrieves the laughing turned to frowns.
    A cold nose feels good on a hot day.....
    Majestic Oaks Liberty Belle JH

Went to No Dak several years ago with a couple of guys that I've known since grade school (I'm pushing 60 now) After the trip every time the subject came up at the gun club or anywhere with an audiance. My dog an MH not at the time but now wasn't any good because his dog retrieved many more ducks. Every time the saftey came off that (I'll be polite and call it a dog) was standing in the decoys looking up waiting for something to fall. And he wonders why I don't invite him anymore?

My buddy and I were heading back to the boat ramp last Friday when we heard a volley of nine shots. We came around the corner and there were three guys and a nice looking black Lab sitting on a log by the side of the river. We pulled over to ask how their day was going. They said they shot one duck, but it was out there about 50 yards and slowly floating away. They sheepishly told us their dog wouldn't swim out to get it. I swung the boat out, picked up the duck and dropped it off with them, but I was tempted to beach the boat, get out with my Golden, tell them to watch this, sit him, say "dead bird" and "back". Obviously a super easy retrieve but it would be like magic to those guys. We also had to tell them what kind of duck it was, a Bluebill btw.

John

One of my habits when I hunt with others is when the shooting starts, and birds fall, I ALWAYS yell " I got em"

Even if I didn't shoot .

: Sometimes I take home birds, and never fire a shot!

.):

gooser
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

I need to hunt with Gooser! If'n he don't fire, and claims the first 6, then I can shoot 12!

I hate the "wannna be contest caller" who shows up as someone's guest. The guy who does not know when to hold 'em or fold 'em, unlike real contest callers. No one wants to listen to that all morning.
    Wm. Mark Edwards
    Pascagoula, MS

HRCH (500) UH Ellie Mae MH
    SHR Tipsy

any of these will get you uninvited in my blind

1. repeatedly clicking your safety on/off

2. sky busting

3. dog that breaks into the decoys

4. drinking alcohol before the hunt is over

5. telling people where we hunt
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Let's see....how about the guy who doesn't care where anyone else is and swings right through everybody to shoot? "Duck" should refer to the birds, not "look out, I'm gonna muzzle blast everybody again". First and last time I hunted with that dude.

Second place goes to people who ground swat running birds....in front of dogs.
    Sharon Potter

www.redbranchkennels.net

Chesapeake Bay Retrievers...too many to list.

Team Huntsmith

Or... A guest in the blind who doesn't know diddly about dogs trying to give your dog commands while you are clearly already handling the dog?
    Bill Davis