The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How far can they swim?

Default How far can they swim?

Today was my third time the pup and I went on a real hunt. Its the first time he saw lots of action, 2 shooters, close to limits, 2 hours. One of the ducks was a good distance away, looking back im not sure the distance but at least 150yrds(this may be no where close only a guess. )? Could have been more could have been less.im a bad judge of distance. About 3/4 of the way out there he started a little whine for a moment then stopped, grabbed the cripple and returned for a very nice rookie retrieve to hand.

Id that little "whining" normal?

when hunting from fixed blind or layout on the shore, at what distance do you rethink the retrieve and try to get send the dog from a different spot thats closer to the downed bird?

is this a normal question LOL? Im new and doing all of the training my self with help from a few local pros and trainers.

Thanks in advance for your input.
    I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them- Thomas Jefferson.

--Quackhunter--

How old is the pup? was the water cold?
    A cold nose feels good on a hot day.....
    Majestic Oaks Liberty Belle JH

Lots of variables with your question. My son's GSP would swim for hours and cover a large lake chasing ducks if you let him. My DD female will do the same. That said, they are in top condition and did not start out their first day swiming like that. If your pup is young and you feel he is getting to far out be ready to follow him with a boat or call him in. Don

Quote Originally Posted by Corey Capozzi View Post
    Today was my third time the pup and I went on a real hunt. Its the first time he saw lots of action, 2 shooters, close to limits, 2 hours. One of the ducks was a good distance away, looking back im not sure the distance but at least 150yrds(this may be no where close only a guess. )? Could have been more could have been less.im a bad judge of distance. About 3/4 of the way out there he started a little whine for a moment then stopped, grabbed the cripple and returned for a very nice rookie retrieve to hand.

Id that little "whining" normal?

when hunting from fixed blind or layout on the shore, at what distance do you rethink the retrieve and try to get send the dog from a different spot thats closer to the downed bird?

is this a normal question LOL? Im new and doing all of the training my self with help from a few local pros and trainers.

Thanks in advance for your input.
    If your going to hunt test your dog, this is way too far. If you are field trial prone, this is short. I have heard all the time from the hunt test people that retrieves such as those in field trials are unrealistic. IDK, many times hunting and picking up either triples or a cripple, the retrieves will be 200 yds or more. It depends what you train for. Just as the blinds maybe very long and past what a hunt test dog would do. Train for what you want in your dog. I hunt my dog first and foremost and long retrieves are part of hunting. I also compete in both trials and hunt test so I train for field trials, I find this works to produce a dog the can do most anything demanded this way. As my friend who has helped me said, "we train for the 400 yd blind because when the 100 yd blinds comes it's a cake walk".

"This ain't Burger King, you don't get it your way"

Backwater's Ole' Crow Medicine Show SH "Raven" BLF 7/26/11 (NFC FC AFC Hunter's Run Boo Boo x AFC Beat The Rush)
    Backwater's Gun Powder 'N' Lead "Trigger" BLF 6/30/12 ( FC AFC CJ's Mister T x FC Queen Winhelmina of the Netherlands)
    Backwater's Biker Trash "Scooter" BLM 9/6/2013 (FC AFC Nick of Time Lone Ranger x Good Ideas Windy Retreezer QAA)

Thanks for all the responses! The pup is almost 2 years old. Tucker is just my hunting partner, no hunt test or anything like that. He loves to swim as well it was was to keep him out of the water as a small pup. I think im just more nervous because im not sure i know his limits yet. This is my first dog and have done about 90% of the training my self.

My plan is to train him on longer retrieves and build up stregnth and endurance.

I like this Backwater: "we train for the 400 yd blind because when the 100 yd blinds comes it's a cake walk".
    I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them- Thomas Jefferson.

--Quackhunter--

Quote Originally Posted by Backwater View Post
    As my friend who has helped me said, "we train for the 400 yd blind because when the 100 yd blinds comes it's a cake walk".
    If you have a dog that is prone to go independent on you at the end of a blind, you certainly don't want him to assume he knows where the end is. If you are training on 400 yard blinds, he is just getting unwound good at 100 yards when you can stop him and put him on the bird.
    Steve Wyatt

HR Belle's Rolling Big Rig "Jimmy"

If he was conditioned to 150+ yd retrieves, at age 2, no problem. Sounds like he is not used to them. Start building confindence and he'll be fine.

could the whine have been from him seeing the cripple moving and his body not moving as fast as his mind wanted it to? ive seen where dogs want the bird so bad that they put out a lil whine because they want that bird so bad and being a cripple n moving or even swimming away increases that. I feel you train big so your dog is ready to encounter any situation. We had a guy that was in hunt group never did marks over 40 yds, well that dog checked down all day at 40 yards no matter the distance.

Distance is not the issue, at least in the physical sense. He probably started to whine at the point where he started to lose confidence.

"start in loving a dog, and understanding it, bye and bye you'll know how to love all the world!"

Quote Originally Posted by Backwater View Post
    If your going to hunt test your dog, this is way too far.
    Huh? I really disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by Loran Marmes (JR) View Post
    could the whine have been from him seeing the cripple moving and his body not moving as fast as his mind wanted it to? ive seen where dogs want the bird so bad that they put out a lil whine because they want that bird so bad and being a cripple n moving or even swimming away increases that.
    I've seen this with my dog and he didn't start doing it until he was probably over 5-6 years of age. In swimming water where he can't close the gap on a cripple as fast as he would like to he will get vocal. I think he just can't stand it because he wants the bird so bad. He has actually yelped and barked in this situation.

Quote Originally Posted by axegothic3 View Post
    He probably started to whine at the point where he started to lose confidence.
    possible IMO

If all the dog was doing was whining, I sorta doubt if you could hear him at 150 yards unless there was no wind or other noises around.
    ---------------------------------------------
    HRCH "Boomer" MH
    UH HR "Hunter" SH (RIP)

"When you go to a test or a trial, your dog should be underwhelmed." ~ Evan Graham

"It is unreasonable to expect a dog to be more precise than you are." ~ Rex Carr

"You own what you condone." ~ Mike Lardy