The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dog will no retreive in cold water?

I have had a male that didnt like the cold water, but after force fetching him he was fine

My pup would do this too. I realized it was because he sat in the warm truck on the way to the hunt. I would only put him in the kennel in the bed after the hunt when he was all muddy. I started putting the pup in the kennel before every hunt and he would actually go in the cold water. Im a newb to gun dogs but this worked for me.
    I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them- Thomas Jefferson.

--Quackhunter--

Force fetch is a good training tool for a lot of reasons. That said, I am hard pressed to think of a situation where I would force, an otherwise bidable, birdy dog, into cold water. Yes, I want a dog to retrieve in cold water. But, one that stops when the water gets cold I don't think I would, especially a young or old dog.

Just my feelings,

Tom
    Tom Wall

Quote Originally Posted by sageandtun View Post
    I have a 15 month old lab that has been hunting all season and has been doing great. today we hunted a large, half frozen pond with ice around the edges and he just flat out would not retrieve the ducks. He really did not want to get in the water. This is not lack of drive or training so, with all due respect, those are not the answers that I am looking for. I played with a dead duck with him for a while when we where done hunting both on dry land and throwing it in the water. He was as thrilled as ever to pick it up off of the ground but wanted nothing to do with it in the water. I was able to force him to it in the water but he certainly did not want to go. Any suggestions on what we might try to get through this? I live in montana so over half of our season is very cold. Thank you for any help!
    There again....What happen to change his behavior? Something was done. Don't force it.

15 months is still a very very young dog....

Quote Originally Posted by jd6400 View Post
    Guys I'm gonna jump in here and give my thoughts.not an expert but this is something that I feel has become a huge problem.I have some thoughts on it but prefer to keep it to myself.But it is the main reason I have switched breeds for my personal gun dogs and have not looked back.As far as forcing...I really question why I should have to force a dog for something they should looove to do.Just my thoughts
    Exactly what have you switched to for your personal dog? Force fetch has less to do with force than you might think. That being said If the problem has only presented itself in really cold water and there appears to be no other mitigating factors then the problem is probably cold water. Some dogs get past it some don't.
    "The longer you let a dog go in the wrong direction the more they think they are going in the right direction" Don Remien.

Been at this way over 40 yrs Bruce,all my dogs and clients dogs get FF but not to get in the liquid after a bird that has been shot.That has to come from the heart of said animal.And it`s sad to say a lot of heart has been lost in todays lab.Don`t get me wrong,there are still a ton of labs out there with a lot of heart.Just not the percentages there was 50 years ago.

As far as personal dogs now....We have 6 chessies with more on the way!!!!!At least for now they havn`t gottn popular,and we all know what happens when a breed gets popular.Would you like a list? Jim
    Jim Weitzel
    Proud member of Ole Roy prostaff

Damn this place has gone to absolute hell. Bottom of page 2 and nobody has even gotten close. You say it isn't a drive or training problem and in fact, you are wrong. It is one or both and probably more a training issue than drive. Unless there is some sort of health issue(doubtful) that dog is just giving you the finger and has decided that he is more comfy staying dry. I do agree that now is not the time to fix it but that means biting the bullet and not putting the dog in the situation to refuse and get away with it again. Has the dog gone through force fetch? Force to pile? Water force?

All that said, here is the disclaimer: anytime you are hunting in really cold conditions you need to watch the dog for signs of hypothermia. Just because you can make them get in doesn't mean you should.
    "The thing I admire about the rat tail is that it takes commitment. It's not like one day you just decide you want one, you have to grow out that bad boy and you have to repeatedly convince the hairdresser to trust you because it's a great idea."

Quote Originally Posted by achiro View Post
    Damn this place has gone to absolute hell. Bottom of page 2 and nobody has even gotten close. You say it isn't a drive or training problem and in fact, you are wrong. It is one or both and probably more a training issue than drive. Unless there is some sort of health issue(doubtful) that dog is just giving you the finger and has decided that he is more comfy staying dry. I do agree that now is not the time to fix it but that means biting the bullet and not putting the dog in the situation to refuse and get away with it again. Has the dog gone through force fetch? Force to pile? Water force?

All that said, here is the disclaimer: anytime you are hunting in really cold conditions you need to watch the dog for signs of hypothermia. Just because you can make them get in doesn't mean you should.
    And why is he giving him the middle finger????Jim
    Jim Weitzel

And why is the dog giving him the middle finger? My guess his guts and heart is the size of an acorn.
    Ok,nother scenario,jr wants to play football but hates hitting do we force jr into it or do we find a kid that wants to hit? Jim
    Last edited by jd6400; 11-22-2013 at 01:47 PM.
    Jim Weitzel