The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Dog will no retreive in cold water?

half way between Cat Springs and Raccoon Bend - Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Paul "Happy" Gilmore View Post
    20 people got hit by trains in Washington this year.
    Were they on their way to a duck hunt?
    When it stops being fun, I will find something else to do with my time and money.

The Lady

Well to the OP,I hope you get this figured out and it works out for you.You have also got to see some of RTF`s most classy people!!!! God luck this season. Jim
    Jim Weitzel
    Proud member of Ole Roy prostaff

Quote Originally Posted by sageandtun View Post
    I have a 15 month old lab that has been hunting all season and has been doing great. today we hunted a large, half frozen pond with ice around the edges and he just flat out would not retrieve the ducks. He really did not want to get in the water. This is not lack of drive or training so, with all due respect, those are not the answers that I am looking for. I played with a dead duck with him for a while when we where done hunting both on dry land and throwing it in the water. He was as thrilled as ever to pick it up off of the ground but wanted nothing to do with it in the water. I was able to force him to it in the water but he certainly did not want to go. Any suggestions on what we might try to get through this? I live in montana so over half of our season is very cold. Thank you for any help!
    Like most know, dog are situational learners and yes some are more bold then others. That being said most will do the job.

From your post, you said that he has been fine so far, but dose not like cold water. than I would start in shallow cold water and close, where he can see the mark. once I got the dog retrieving at a good pace I would add the collar. If everything goes well, then I would start moving out deeper and deeper. If I get a refusal, I would step forward with a fetch nick fetch.

If you are having problems in shallow water, I would stop there and in the summer go back over my force to water, part of my program.

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Duck Hunter View Post
    Were they on their way to a duck hunt?
    Lol..........

Quote Originally Posted by truthseeker View Post

From your post, you said that he has been fine so far, but dose not like cold water. than I would start in shallow cold water and close, where he can see the mark. once I got the dog retrieving at a good pace I would add the collar. If everything goes well, then I would start moving out deeper and deeper. If I get a refusal, I would step forward with a fetch nick fetch.

Keith
    I wold have to be VERY FAMILIAR with this dog and his training and attitude before I would give this advice to a newcomer over the internet.
    That is the problem with internet training advice. Dog training is a hands on discipline that requires intimate personal knowledge of the individual dog in front of you as well as the ability to read the dog. NO VIDEO, TELEPHONE CALL OR INTERNET ADVICE CAN EVER DO THAT!!!

The best advice I could give the OP is to get with a good experience pro, mentor or training group

Quote Originally Posted by mjh345 View Post
    I wold have to be VERY FAMILIAR with this dog and his training and attitude before I would give this advice to a newcomer over the internet.
    That is the problem with internet training advice. Dog training is a hands on discipline that requires intimate personal knowledge of the individual dog in front of you as well as the ability to read the dog. NO VIDEO, TELEPHONE CALL OR INTERNET ADVICE CAN EVER DO THAT!!!

The best advice I could give the OP is to get with a good experience pro, mentor or training group
    Sounds like solid, realistic guidance for training a dog in general much less learning how to avoid and solve problems.
    We shoot dogs with a Canon

Quote Originally Posted by mjh345 View Post

First you only put half my answer and just rude. I see no problem throwing a few for the dog in sallow water to see if it was just the situation that was the problem. That's all it might be.

If everyone gave your advise, no one would learn anything on this forum.

Keith
    Last edited by truthseeker; 11-24-2013 at 08:03 PM. Reason: more

Like most know, dog are situational learners and yes some are more bold then others. That being said most will do the job.

If you are having problems in shallow water, I would stop there and in the summer go back over my force to water, part of my program.

Keith
    EXCUSE ME Keith
    I now quoted your entire post. From my perspective it changes little or nothing. You still advised a new trainer to apply collar pressure force to a young dog in cold water. I believe that is BAD ADVICE!! This is an inexperienced trainer and a young dog that you know nothing about their experience and training.
    Last I checked this was an open forum where all can express their thoughts to possibly help those who ask.
    If you think me disagreeing with your advice is rude, well then I'm sorry to get your panties in a wad & offend your tender sensibilities.

So tell me the truth "TRUTHSEEKER" what part of my advice telling the OP to seek competent experienced hands on help do you object to

I did not have a problem with your answer. I thought you miss quoted me by not putting my whole post and you still are. Where I stated if you are having problems with no pressure,I would stop there.

Keith

I thought you miss quoted me by not putting my whole post and you still are.

Keith
    Really? What part of your post did I not quote or put up, the second time?