The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Dog will no retreive in cold water?

Respectfully-
    Would definately agree with mj345 and HNTFSH on using collar pressure on a young dog in cold water.

Take a look back at Nicks' Chessie pics. I'm a poor man, but would bet my next paycheck that Thor hasn't seen any collar pressure in a long, (long), time. Based on my own huntin' experiences with dogs in cold arse water for me,.. it's really more about how a dog "feels" about retrieving in general, and the intimate relationship the dog has, (or doesn't have) with birds.

Have seen properly FF'd dogs scarf at cold water as if it wasn't written in the "contract". Particularly after having the luxury of nice, warm water to train in most of the time, and then a lapse in training as huntin' season nears. THEN the dog is suddenly asked to retrieve in water that it's just not acclimated to.
    Best thing I could suggest is to keep a dog active in water from Sept. thru fall and into winter as water temps continue to drop.

Will never believe that FF' creates a lifelong passion for a dog to "like" cold water.
    Dawgs are like Savings Accounts-
    You only get out of 'em what you put into 'em.

My first season young dogs I hunt early and then my older more experienced dogs. It is easy to offer advice from the outside but at 15 months a dog should be pounding the water and have good bit of training before entering the duck blind. Even at that my bests dogs that first season I never over work them on cold days. Some dogs have drive and grit some don't but even at that the first season should be about the dog. Your not going to be able to do anything but train till spring and I would get more training done and not push the issue.
    Faith consists in believing when it is beyond the power of reason to believe.

Respectfully-
    Would definately agree with mj345 and HNTFSH on using collar pressure on a young dog in cold water.

Take a look back at Nicks' Chessie pics. I'm a poor man, but would bet my next paycheck that Thor hasn't seen any collar pressure in a long, (long), time. Based on my own huntin' experiences with dogs in cold arse water for me,.. it's really more about how a dog "feels" about retrieving in general, and the intimate relationship the dog has, (or doesn't have) with birds.

Have seen properly FF'd dogs scarf at cold water as if it wasn't written in the "contract". Particularly after having the luxury of nice, warm water to train in most of the time, and then a lapse in training as huntin' season nears. THEN the dog is suddenly asked to retrieve in water that it's just not acclimated to.
    Best thing I could suggest is to keep a dog active in water from Sept. thru fall and into winter as water temps continue to drop.

Will never believe that FF' creates a lifelong passion for a dog to "like" cold water
    Swampbilly
    You bring up some very good points,, There seems to be a lot of myths about FF being some kind of a magic bullet. Sometimes a dogs BOTTOM has a lot to do with it. I get dogs in that won't enter thick tule.s let alone cold water. All the FF in the world won't change a thing. Why is the dog quitting? If with proper training and many opportunities to succeed and improve the dog still quits its because the dog has a lot of quit in it. Unsustainable drive for what ever reason.

Pete
    John 5 :30
    I can of my own self do nothing ,as I hear , I judge,,and my judgement is just, because I seek not my own will,,but the will of the father which hath sent me
    John 7:16 -- Jesus answered them and said my doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me.
    mark 16:9 -- So then after the lord had spoken unto them,he was received up in heaven, and sat on the right hand of God
    I Tim. 2:5 --For there is one God and one mediator between God and man ,, the man Christ Jesus

My first season young dogs I hunt early and then my older more experienced dogs. It is easy to offer advice from the outside but at 15 months a dog should be pounding the water and have good bit of training before entering the duck blind. Even at that my bests dogs that first season I never over work them on cold days. Some dogs have drive and grit some don't but even at that the first season should be about the dog. Your not going to be able to do anything but train till spring and I would get more training done and not push the issue.
    This is good advice also. Dogs are OH so different. There are also quitters that you can turn into pretty much non quitters,, If you go about it as Jake suggested.
    There are also extremes at both ends. Your dog may not even be a quitter at heart,,,it could just be a learning curve.
    Pete
    I can of my own self do nothing ,as I hear , I judge,,and my judgement is just, because I seek not my own will,,but the will of the father which hath sent me
    John 7:16 -- Jesus answered them and said my doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me.
    mark 16:9 -- So then after the lord had spoken unto them,he was received up in heaven, and sat on the right hand of God
    I Tim. 2:5 --For there is one God and one mediator between God and man ,, the man Christ Jesus

have a 15 month old lab that has been hunting all season and has been doing great. today we hunted a large, half frozen pond with ice around the edges and he just flat out would not retrieve the ducks. He really did not want to get in the water. This is not lack of drive or training so, with all due respect, those are not the answers that I am looking for. I played with a dead duck with him for a while when we where done hunting both on dry land and throwing it in the water. He was as thrilled as ever to pick it up off of the ground but wanted nothing to do with it in the water. I was able to force him to it in the water but he certainly did not want to go. Any suggestions on what we might try to get through this? I live in montana so over half of our season is very cold. Thank you for any help!
    Sorry I over looked this.
    A lot of dogs have problems with ice along the edges. Some don't like to step on ice,,, kind of like tile or wood floors or something. And if its shelf ice,meaning the dog has to climb back up once he enters the water then you will just have to help him over come that by helping him. Make entering off of shelf ice fun,,, often this does the trick,,find a place thats not to deep to start with.

Quote Originally Posted by Swampbilly View Post
    Respectfully-

Will never believe that FF' creates a lifelong passion for a dog to "like" cold water.
    I agree, but you are reading something into the OP that is not there. This thread has gone way off on a tangent.

Keith.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    A lot of dogs have problems with ice along the edges. Some don't like to step on ice,,, kind of like tile or wood floors or something. And if its shelf ice,meaning the dog has to climb back up once he enters the water then you will just have to help him over come that by helping him. Make entering off of shelf ice fun,,, often this does the trick,,find a place thats not to deep to start with.
    It's easy to do, when what we are talking about has nothing to do with the OP.

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by truthseeker View Post
    It's easy to do, when what we are talking about has nothing to do with the OP.

Keith
    I'm afraid we scared the OP away, he hasn't posted since a follow up post on the first page.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Right Pete

Sometimes the dog might have to enter through ice on shore, swim, exit out and re-enter...and if he has a problem with it, could wind up a long day, (or a short one).
    Always do try to "handle smarter" and not handle harder, and encourage the dog to do the same by "retrieving smarter" and not retrieving harder, by SENDING the dog (when possible) thru the same area he entered on previous retrieves, and returning back thru the same place by breaking up an area in front of the blind, establishing "the line". Not so much to accomodate the dog, but to make life a little easier.

I like straight lines both out and returning, and if the standard is maintained all the time, it ain't going to kill the standard by allowing the dog to make some of it's own, (right) decisions in some of these situations, even if the dog is handled and allowed to "cheat" the ice.

Really no different than teaching pup to return to the "dog ladder" when huntin' from a floating blind.
    Dawgs are like Savings Accounts-
    You only get out of 'em what you put into 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post
    I'm afraid we scared the OP away, he hasn't posted since a follow up post on the first page.
    LOL!!!!!!

Keith