Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Shooting wild pheasants...preferred load for 20 gauge? GDG

Quote Originally Posted by trog View Post
    ...on both SD birds and from Game farm birds
    Aren't they largely one and the same?
    We shoot dogs with a Canon

Quote Originally Posted by MooseGooser View Post
    Didn't want to admit that sometimes I have been known to have copper plated 2's as my last shot.

Didnt want to listen to the group gasp!
    True story. when I lived in Dallas back in the 80's, my brother from Austin was going to Nebraska to hunt pheasants and asked if he could borrow my yellow lab Straw as a flushing dog, he also needed me to make him up a batch of shells to hunt with..Well I knew my dog was green and had never seen a wild pheasant, so I made up a load similar to a handicap trap load, they had copper plated #5's and killed birds stone dead, making things very easy on my dog till he got the hang of the game, dont think the guys figured out my secret recipe
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by FOM View Post
    I've never hunted wild pheasants with a 20 gauge before, but it has become my preferred gauge...what load would you recommend?

Thanks,

FOM
    Prarie Storm #5 with an IC tube.
    Never trust a dog to watch your food!

I have never hunted witha 20 ga.

My favorite late season wild bird shot is copper plated #5. It retains enough energy and there is enough shot to keep holes in the pattern small.

Have fun, I'm jealous!

Tom
    Tom Wall

Since the hatch recruitment has been pretty poor in CO the past couple years, most birds are older and flush further out. I've been shooting 3 inch number 5's on them with good success.
    George Billings
    And Scout
    Aurora CO
    In Memory
    "Tess" Amigold Duckus Takem - Miss her greatly

Mod and Full Briley...Early in season I use 2 3/4 7 1/2s. Later in the season when things get cold, I switch to 6s. I believe the whole idea is to know your limits and knowing your range. Nice thing about a 20 is weight. Another thing is having a proper fit. Lastly, pattern your shotgun with different loads and choke combos.

Quote Originally Posted by BJGatley View Post
    ... I believe the whole idea is to know your limits and knowing your range. Nice thing about a 20 is weight. Another thing is having a proper fit. Lastly, pattern your shotgun with different loads and choke combos.
    This is spot on. Back when Iowa had pheasants, I would sometimes hunt late season with a 20 ga. for weight (esp. If I didn't think we were going to see any). I used 2&3/4 Win Super XX copper plated 6's with IC. I rarely shoot a bird over 30 yds. However, I prefer 12 or 16 ga with my "best" (and cheapest) gun a 6.5 lb Franchi AL48 (with fixed ~IC choke that throws the best patterns of all my guns.). I also have a 6 lb Benelli 12 ga.

We have many non-toxic shot areas and I like the 2&3/4 1300fps #6 Hevishot best of all. (#4 Hevishot even works on geese, but I prefer #2 for Canadas.) I will use up my lead (mostly Rem Express 1&1/4 #6), but not buy any more lead. (I wish the price of tungesten would come down.)

In the past I tried one of the hopped up monster pheasant loads. (From Federal, I recall.) Horrible recoil and too much damage to the bird. It made the gun a single shot because I couldn't recover from the kick. Rem Express "high brass" is the most shot and power I want.

Quote Originally Posted by HNTFSH View Post
    Aren't they largely one and the same?
    Far from it, popular myth, if it were true this would not be the lowest bird count in many years. There are not enough hatcheries and crates to populate SD with pheasants. Released birds on preserves have a very low survival rate.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Stroyan View Post
    This is spot on. Back when Iowa had pheasants, I would sometimes hunt late season with a 20 ga. for weight (esp. If I didn't think we were going to see any). I used 2&3/4 Win Super XX copper plated 6's with IC. I rarely shoot a bird over 30 yds. However, I prefer 12 or 16 ga with my "best" (and cheapest) gun a 6.5 lb Franchi AL48 (with fixed ~IC choke that throws the best patterns of all my guns.). I also have a 6 lb Benelli 12 ga.

We have many non-toxic shot areas and I like the 2&3/4 1300fps #6 Hevishot best of all. (#4 Hevishot even works on geese, but I prefer #2 for Canadas.) I will use up my lead (mostly Rem Express 1&1/4 #6), but not buy any more lead. (I wish the price of tungesten would come down.)

In the past I tried one of the hopped up monster pheasant loads. (From Federal, I recall.) Horrible recoil and too much damage to the bird. It made the gun a single shot because I couldn't recover from the kick. Rem Express "high brass" is the most shot and power I want.

Well all I kin say is "Dang"!

Just fill them stocks on them 6 lb guns with cement.... and suffer with the rest of us.. You wont feel any recoil,,,,, and yer arms will hurt from "carrycramps" the rest of the season...... I then decide to resort to volunteer blocker..... with a bucket....... and a fence post....... and shade..... and a box a Pop Tarts..

6 lb gun indeed!....

I remember one trip when I had walked all day, and had only flushe 2 hens. Dog was beat, I was sore, so I cut across the field and headed to the county road to walk back to the truck. My 27 lb guns was really gettin heavy,, but I dont feel recoil when I get to shoot it..... anyways,,,,, It was so heavy feelin that I decided to carry it in the manner we prolly all have at one time er the udder.. I hadit across the back of my neck,,, with my wobby sore and tired armrs draped across each end..
    As iI neared the truck,, out of the ditch ,not 10 yards from the tailgait, up jumps 3 roosters,,timed so perfectly, it would have been easy to get the triple....

First (and Last) time in my life, I have had that chance...

I blew it causeI went to war, thinkin I wasnt gonna see the enemy..!!!

I now carry the gun at "ready"... my body vurry ridged,, excited from the anticipation for the ambush..... Seldom does anything happen...and I look like a dork...

I LOVE to Pheasant hunt...

Gooser
    Last edited by MooseGooser; 11-20-2013 at 08:37 AM.
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

Ed, Don't tell them that. South Dakota hunting is terrible. Folks from Ohio and Texas should go to their local game farm and hunt Banties.