The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 48

Thread: Shooting wild pheasants...preferred load for 20 gauge? GDG

  1. #31
    Senior Member DarrinGreene's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Souf Joisy
    Posts
    2,838

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul "Happy" Gilmore View Post
    Might try a heavy turkey load in a #7. 1-1/2 oz loads available which have better ballistics than a #5 buffered lead.
    I didn't look it up but I would guess based on the limitations of powder in a 20 ga shell, the velocity on a 1.5 oz round would be lower, and thus it would pattern better John.
    Darrin Greene

  2. #32
    Senior Member Aaron Homburg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Natoma, Kansas
    Posts
    2,054

    Default

    Lainee I agree with Dr. Ed. Hands down the best pheasant load I have ever used is the 3" Fiocci Golden Pheasant. I like the 5 shot nickel plated. They have a ton of knock down power and do not tear them up really bad. They have doubled in price since I first started shooting them, but well worth the money.

    No Pheasants in KS Regards,

    Aaron

    http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shoot...3Bcat104567580
    AFC Iron Lines Sergeant Pepper "Pepper"
    FC FTCH Westwood's Sunday Silence "Buck"
    Sweet Swingin' Fred MH ***

    www.southforkkennelsllc.com

  3. #33
    Senior Member brian breuer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Minot, ND
    Posts
    520

    Default

    I don't get the whole lots of little shot theory. There was weird thread on Upland Journal a few years ago with one "gentleman" espousing the virtues of #9 at 1500 fps or something close to that.

    I also don't understand the weird shaped shot patterning and killing better (Prairie Storm) - the physics don't add up. 1 oz of Hard copper 4's 5's or 6's. Keep your shots under 40 yards and most importantly focus on the head (the white band is good focus point). Hit in the front half of the bird and it will be dead. You can shoot them in the butt with 3.5" of bb's and they'll fly away.

  4. #34
    Senior Member HNTFSH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,195

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brian breuer View Post
    You can shoot them in the butt with 3.5" of bb's and they'll fly away.
    This Rooster had the tail feathers blown off well before we flushed him. Was wondering why it took awhile to get him up.

    We shoot dogs with a Canon

  5. #35
    Senior Member Golddogs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,286

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brian breuer View Post
    I don't get the whole lots of little shot theory. There was weird thread on Upland Journal a few years ago with one "gentleman" espousing the virtues of #9 at 1500 fps or something close to that.

    I also don't understand the weird shaped shot patterning and killing better (Prairie Storm) - the physics don't add up. 1 oz of Hard copper 4's 5's or 6's. Keep your shots under 40 yards and most importantly focus on the head (the white band is good focus point). Hit in the front half of the bird and it will be dead. You can shoot them in the butt with 3.5" of bb's and they'll fly away.
    Didn't believe it till I tried them last late season. Firm believer now. Shot Federal PF #5 copper plated for 18 years with GREAT success in 20 and 12. Prairie Storm is the real deal and they do not tear up the birds. IC choke in my Browning puts almost 80% in a 30" circle at 40 yds. Took a limit today with shots between 25 and 40 yds and no busted up birds. Saw birds but they are spooky. Running's has the best prices, same as PF loads. Never cared for Golden Pheasant. Poor patter with my gun and slower than I like.
    Never trust a dog to watch your food!

  6. #36
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Fall City, WA
    Posts
    4,622

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DarrinGreene View Post
    I didn't look it up but I would guess based on the limitations of powder in a 20 ga shell, the velocity on a 1.5 oz round would be lower, and thus it would pattern better John.
    Premium shot lists at about 1,200FPS which is higher than most standard loads. Many are also copper plated as someone mentioned above is their preference. Turkey loads are always hot. I've patterned them with standard IC choke and found them to be excellent loads. I'll use them in Wa. where the pheasant hunting stinks and every bird counts. In SoDak, shot nearly 100 birds in 14 days, I bought the cheapest #6 they had at Outdoor Emporium. Even shot some steel late in the trip as a few of us ran out of shells. Seemed to work just fine.

  7. #37
    Senior Member John Robinson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Bigfork, Montana
    Posts
    3,385

    Default

    Paul, I'm heading downtown to check those out. We have turkeys on our property, I don't feed them or anything, but they still feel more like pets than game. I might make an exception with Thanksgiving just a week away. I just assumed turkey loads came in the larger shot sizes.

    John

  8. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Fall City, WA
    Posts
    4,622

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post
    Paul, I'm heading downtown to check those out. We have turkeys on our property, I don't feed them or anything, but they still feel more like pets than game. I might make an exception with Thanksgiving just a week away. I just assumed turkey loads came in the larger shot sizes.

    John
    I've always used 12G #6 Turkey loads. Slide in the super-extra-full turkey choke and it will bruise the most seasoned shooters shoulder.

  9. #39
    Senior Member MooseGooser's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    7,385

    Default

    Here is an interesting article, that I agree with.

    If I have a choice, and am going to hunt pheasants,, a 20 gauge is my first choice.
    a 20 gauge autotloader is the gun of choice.

    the choke for that gun is modified.. shooting 1 1/8 ounces of copper plated 5 shot...

    I will say though,, when shooting targets,, I tend to shoot a longer barreled heaveier gun better than I do the lightweight whippy barreled 20 auto..

    I am such a wimp,, that I cant stop my swing with that heavy gun,,, but with the 20,, I have to concentrate on keeping the swing stepgoing..

    Have fun Lainee,,, pissed at yo fer leavin Gooser at home..

    anyways,,, hers the article..

    "Wouldnt You really rather drive a 20 gauge"

    http://www.chuckhawks.com/drive_20_gauge.htm
    Last edited by MooseGooser; 11-21-2013 at 01:42 PM.
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)


    My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

  10. #40
    Senior Member FOM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Falcon, CO
    Posts
    9,168

    Default

    1 down with 2 3/4 #6 Federal...helps to shoot them in the head! I didn't realize it, but today is Big Bad Bullet Boy's 10th birthday! He celebrated by flushing a rooster for me to shoot and retrieving it! God it doesn't get much better than this!
    "You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

    Proudly Owned By:
    MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker*** - Bullet
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It*** - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies - Riot

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •