The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker

Thread: Cleft Palates

Default Cleft Palates

Just wondering how often 'we' see them in newborn puppies? I'm under the impression that, while it can happen,its not something that happens very often. I've been breeding since 98, have had many litters and only saw my first one this time. Its very sad.....
    HOME OF:
    Waterspook Sables Dark Secret, MH (Sable)
    Trumarcs Bankshot Bandit, MH ( Fats)
    Waterspook Tomfoolery, SH ( Tommie)
    IN MEMORY OF::
    Waterspook Bankshot Whiz Bang,JH (Jesse)
    Waterspooks Girl Named Bill, SH ( Billie- my princess.....)
    Waterspook Kickin' Gunshot, SH ( Boom)
    Waterspook Kickin' Good Time MH(Kick)
    Waterspooks Partner In Crime, SH ( Bouncer)
    Brush Creek Waterspook, JH, WC- my first girl.(Spooky)

I've seen reference to it with the toy breeds, esp the flat faced ones quite often.
    High Tess JH
    Cedar Swamp's Cuttin a Rug "Josie"
    Cedar Swamp's Holy Terror JH "Terra"
    Blackfoot's Mr Independence at Cedar Swamp JH "Pow"
    Cedar Swamp's Angel in Disguise "Sky"
    Cedar Swamp's Test Pilot "Crash"
    Cedar Swamp's Bonanza "Ben"
    Cedar Swamp's Twisted Sister "Sissy"

Others have also graced our hearts...gone not forgotten.
    RC Buckshot of Seven Hickories MH
    Ceader Swamp's Deuces Wild SH
    Fallen Timber's Second Chance MH
    Ceader Swamp's Mac Millett SH
    and several others...

I don't know much about it, but I do know that prednisone and the other steroids can cause it. This is from www.drugs.com:

Warning
    Clinical and experimental data have demonstrated that corticosteroids administered orally or parenterally to animals may induce the first stage of parturition when administered during the last trimester of pregnancy and may precipitate premature parturition followed by dystocia, fetal death, retained placenta and metritis. Additionally, corticosteroids administered in dogs, rabbits, and rodents during pregnancy have resulted in cleft palate in offspring. Corticosteroids administered to dogs during pregnancy have also resulted in other congenital anomalies, including deformed forelegs

Barb Gibson
    with
    CH Rosewood Little Giant UDX VER RA SH MXP MJP OFP VCX WCX CCA CGC FFX-OG
    also UCH HR UUD UJJ URO1 UHIT
    (golden retriever) born 3-10-07
    a.k.a. "Tito", "The Tito Monster"
    www.GoTeamTito.com

Quote Originally Posted by hotel4dogs View Post
    I don't know much about it, but I do know that prednisone and the other steroids can cause it. This is from www.drugs.com:

Warning
    Clinical and experimental data have demonstrated that corticosteroids administered orally or parenterally to animals may induce the first stage of parturition when administered during the last trimester of pregnancy and may precipitate premature parturition followed by dystocia, fetal death, retained placenta and metritis. Additionally, corticosteroids administered in dogs, rabbits, and rodents during pregnancy have resulted in cleft palate in offspring. Corticosteroids administered to dogs during pregnancy have also resulted in other congenital anomalies, including deformed forelegs
    Id forgotten about that- knew of a GSD who had the whole litter pts because of cleft palates, turned out she sued a vet who prescribed pred to her pregnant female....
    Anyways, that certainly didnt happen here- she got nothing, not even her regular fish oil cap
    HOME OF:
    Waterspook Sables Dark Secret, MH (Sable)
    Trumarcs Bankshot Bandit, MH ( Fats)
    Waterspook Tomfoolery, SH ( Tommie)
    IN MEMORY OF::
    Waterspook Bankshot Whiz Bang,JH (Jesse)
    Waterspooks Girl Named Bill, SH ( Billie- my princess.....)
    Waterspook Kickin' Gunshot, SH ( Boom)
    Waterspook Kickin' Good Time MH(Kick)
    Waterspooks Partner In Crime, SH ( Bouncer)
    Brush Creek Waterspook, JH, WC- my first girl.(Spooky)

I breed Basset Hounds for 10 years before getting into labs and had one pup in '99 with cleft pallet, also had one pup born with a club foot.

UC Davis (Bannasch Lab) has now developed a genetic test for Tollers for cleft palate. It's called CP1. There are 2-3 types of cleft palate and this only catches one of them.
    Eric

WRC HR Lennoxlove's Run with Wolves JH, WCX ("Cheyenne") ... still so fondly remembered
    HRCh Struan's Devil's in De Tails SH, WCX ("Lucy")
    SR CH Struan's Flight of Fancy JH ("Muse")
    Struan's Master of the Hunt JH, WC ("Charlie")
    Struan's Just Plain Perfect ("Jane")
    Struan's Driving Us Crazy ("Daisy") ... the baby in charge

Since Envy just went thru her first trimester when these things can happen due to environment, it's fresh in my mind.

I've had 1 girl produce midline closure defects (cleft palate and mid line closure defects are all lumped together as I recall). One puppy in her first litter had exposed intestines. One in her 2nd litter was DOA w/ cleft palate. From all I was told, if it's 1 puppy, it's usually genetic. If it's the whole litter, that's normally a chemical/cortisol (dog fights can raise cortisol levels and do the same thing as chem exposure).

I had meant to ask you how your pup was doing. Sorry.

Bumping this up. Any others with Cleft Palate in lab puppies? FYI - UC Davis is collecting samples (blood or tissue) from affected puppies to attempt to isolate the gene for a test similar to what has been done for tollers. It is believed that at least one type of CP in Labs is an autosomal recessive mutation. Any breeder who is unfortunate enough to end up with a CP puppy please consider donating a sample for testing, the contact person is Zena Wolfe and she can be reached at ztwolf@ucdavis.edu
    Erin Lynes
    Eromit Labrador Retrievers

Home of:
    Twig AGDC, Ruger JH MGDC SGDC, Winchester SGDC RNCL, Shelby RNCL, Spider, Beretta SGDC, Kimber, Verona, Missie, Jackie, Victor RNCL, Jet and Glitzy
    ..........gone but never forgotten, the gal who started it all: Spider's Sunshine MSDC MSCDC AADC AGDC NAC NGC NJC (Nestle) ...........

I had one born about 5 years ago from a litter that had to be delivered via C-section. Because we were at the vet's with all techs on hand helping with the newborns, it was diagnosed right away. As these things go, this puppy's wasn't severe, and he was able to nurse initially. One of the techs offered to take him and hand raise him in the event he wasn't able to nurse. She had successfully raised a few (mostly bully breeds as I recall) and placed them with families that had children with cleft palates or other birth defects. My puppy (of course he was named Hairy) was also very small, and sadly, he weakened and passed away within the first 24 hours; we'd taken him home with the dam since he initially seemed to be able to nurse. Since he wouldn't have been saleable, the plan had been to turn him over to her. Not sure he would've survived if she'd taken him and tube fed him (she said she's had to tube feed all the ones she'd saved), but I thought it was a very cool thing she was doing with these poor pups.
    Last edited by Julie R.; 11-21-2013 at 12:00 PM.
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981