The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help potty training golden retriever puppy?

Default Help potty training golden retriever puppy?

I just got a golden retriever puppy that is almost 8 weeks old.
    I read a lot about potty training and decided to not confine him to a crate in the process.
    When I am home I watch him very closely and let him out every 30-45 min or anytime I think he needs to potty like after meals, after naps after playing etc... The first day there were accidents because I didn't pick up on his cues fast enough but yesterday was the second day and there were no accidents. So far he has slept through the nights so there is no problem at night. so iit looks like I have a plan that works well for the times that I am home.

The problem is what to do when I'm not home. Currently I fenced off a 4 by 6 area in the garage and covered it in pee pads. Left water, bed and toys and the puppy in that area. I read that once he starts making a habit of peeing in a certain area that I should slowly reduce the area that is padded and he will start going on the pad only. This sounds good to me but my question is, is this confusing?

On one hand I am teaching him to go outside to potty and on the other hand I'm telling him its ok to potty indoors. On paper but indoors nonetheless.

Will he get to the point where he knows the difference? I want him to someday be able to tell me he needs to go out when im home, and know to go on the pad when I can't be there to let him out.

This is my first puppy and I want to do it right, so if you have better methods please tell me...

Quote Originally Posted by heiwu View Post
    This is my first puppy and I want to do it right, so if you have better methods please tell me...
    Yep. Get a crate. Hire a dog walker if you are gone longer than 4 hours.
    Using pee pee pads is a TERRIBLE way to housetrain a dog. All that does is teach them to pee inside, specifically, on things.
    The other alternative is using Ian Dunbar's long-term confinement pen that involves a piece of sod in a plastic tray. At least then they are learning to go on grass. They also spend a lot of that free time digging and eating the sod. You can download Dunbar's "After You Get Your Puppy" book for free, just google it.
    Bottom line....get a crate.
    Anney Doucette
    Gainesville FL
    www.k9-design.com
    & "Fisher" CH Deauxquest Hard Day's Knight UDT VER RAE MH WCX CCA VCX OS DDHF; Can. CD WC
    & "Slater" Morninglo Wing-T Your Bird Can Sing CD MH WCX CCA VC
    & Bally too! (puppy)
    www.go-fisher.com

Quote Originally Posted by Furball View Post
    Yep. Get a crate. Hire a dog walker if you are gone longer than 4 hours.
    Using pee pee pads is a TERRIBLE way to housetrain a dog. All that does is teach them to pee inside, specifically, on things.
    The other alternative is using Ian Dunbar's long-term confinement pen that involves a piece of sod in a plastic tray. At least then they are learning to go on grass. They also spend a lot of that free time digging and eating the sod. You can download Dunbar's "After You Get Your Puppy" book for free, just google it.
    Bottom line....get a crate.
    Yes for the crate. Also feed in the locked crate as they will not mess where they eat. May do some big time crying but give it time and it will stop. They learn that the crate is a safe place-a.k.a. their very own condo.

get a crate....my goldens have always loved their crates after the initial introduction period, and prefer to sleep in them when given the choice. I leave the door open when they are adults, and that's where they go, by choice.

Barb Gibson
    with
    CH Rosewood Little Giant UDX VER RA SH MXP MJP OFP VCX WCX CCA CGC FFX-OG
    also UCH HR UUD UJJ URO1 UHIT
    (golden retriever) born 3-10-07
    a.k.a. "Tito", "The Tito Monster"
    www.GoTeamTito.com

Get the crate X's 4!

As others have said the crate will become a safe place (eat there, sleep there) and it gives you an option to confine them safely where they are comfortable so that you can do things around the house without having to continuously monitor the puppy for accidents.
    www.dakotacreekretrievers.com

Online store - http://store.dakotacreekretrievers.com
    Find us on facebook!

GMHR-III Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH
    MHR Pine Acre's Dakota Sand Creek SH WCI
    Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
    Dakota Creek's Long Shot
    Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc
    Drake's Bay Super Duty (2004 - 2013)

Crate train it. I have an 8 week old lab he is out 99% of the time I'm home. I also carry him to work cause I have no one to help with him. I honour at breaks and lunch and let him air. So far he hasn't pottied in box and only had one accident in house.
    Proverbs 3:5-6

Quote Originally Posted by heiwu View Post
    I read a lot about potty training and decided to not confine him to a crate in the process.
    Another strong vote for crate for a lot of reasons. I am curious though where you're reading not to?
    We shoot dogs with a Canon

Quote Originally Posted by The Snows View Post
    Get the crate X's 4!

x5+ on crate
    and they are great couch side / bedside tables.
    you can get more than one
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

I can't imagine NOT using a crate. Makes life so much easier for both if us. My dogs have always liked using one. I have a crate for my 7- month old pup and I often find my 6-year old has gone in there to lay down.
    Becky
    Life is Good . . . Do what you like - Like what you do.

Crate train. Aside from housetraining, it is just not safe to leave a puppy/young dog loose when you are not in constant supervision. They can get hurt all kinds of ways. One quick chew through an electrical cord, for example. Puppy is little now, wait until the teething really starts, you'll be amazed what destruction those teeth can cause. Lots of dogs are given up to shelters for "behavioral issues" that could easily have been avoided with basic crate training. Enjoy your puppy, but learn to establish boundaries from the start and try to head off trouble before it happens, much, much easier training that way.

Pups/dogs should ride in crates in vehicles as well, vs loose.
    Kim Pfister, Rainmaker Labs