The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help potty training golden retriever puppy?

+1000 on crate training. Same reasons everyone else has given. And Kim is right, always in a crate when traveling

Crate. Both my dogs are in them when no one is home. One chew through an electrical cord and you will wish you crated him/her.

I don't crate my dogs in the house, and I did potty train my golden with pee pads. I left her in the bedroom during the day with pee pads on the floor and under the throw rugs. Between 8 weeks and about 3 months, I came home at lunch and let her out into the yard. By 3 months, she could make it 9 hours without pooping (but not peeing), so I quit coming home for lunch (couldn't afford to keep using an hour of annual leave a day.) So, she would usually leave a piddle puddle, because you can't expect a puppy to go that long without peeing. I'd toss any wet throw rugs into the laundry in the evening and change the used pee pads. At about 4 months, maybe 4.5, I forget, there was no piddle on the floor one day when I got home. Nor the next day, or the next. After a week of no piddling in the house, I picked up all the pee pads, and that was the end of that.

Obviously, I'm in the minority these days. But, I think there are potential huge problems with crate training. If you have to be gone for many more hours than a puppy can go without "going", then they HAVE to go in their crate. Do it often enough and the pup learns to tolerate sitting in its own urine or excrement. Also, if the puppy has a bout of diarrhea (not uncommon in puppies), they're stuck in a crate messing all over themselves. I'd rather come home and launder a rug than come home to a miserable puppy coming in feces.

YMMV
    Kelly Cassidy (person)

HR Maple Cassidy CDX JH RE (golden retriever)
    Alder Cassidy CDX RE (standard poodle chipmunk chaser)
    plus whacked-out weird Burka (elderly mix-breed rescue girl)

alive and poop covered beats clean but dead every day of the week and twice on Sundays
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Why one would not use a crate is beyond me.

Crates offer at least three important advantages:

1) It is a spot of their own that they will keep clean (this is a huge variable when potty training). This is inbred behavior and should be utilized during the life of the dog.
    2) It's a safe spot (or should be) that they can go to; whether for a "time out" of sorts by the owner, or if the owner wants the dog out of the way ("kennel!") or when they decide they want to get away on their own.
    3) A confined space like a kennel can be used in the car, at a friend's house or relative's house, outside during gatherings when the dog needs to be "put up", etc.

Remember, dogs are from the genus of canis and they use dens to rear their young. Kennels are an appropriate artificial substitute, with further advantages for our domesticated partners.
    Last edited by PhilBernardi; 11-21-2013 at 12:03 PM.
    HR Surrey's Space Dog Nala

The best long range duck load is a well trained retriever - Nash Buckingham

I DO use a crate in the vehicle and at shows. The dogs are fine with it.

Ken, why would they be dead if kept outside a crate? Assuming you make a reasonable effort to puppy-proof the room.
    Kelly Cassidy (person)

HR Maple Cassidy CDX JH RE (golden retriever)
    Alder Cassidy CDX RE (standard poodle chipmunk chaser)
    plus whacked-out weird Burka (elderly mix-breed rescue girl)

Crate train! Every time I've raised a litter I've started splitting the litter in half or thirds and having them sleep in a crate at about 3.5 or 4 weeks old. by the time they go to their new homes they are 75% potty trained and 85% crate trained.
    Chuck

I can't imagine leaving a pup in any room of the house uncrated! They chew everything and besides ruining whatever they have chewed, you have to worry about what they have ingested…like throw rugs, wood trim, drywall. And I would never teach a dog that it was ok to pee in my house.

Crate training all the way.

Meredith

Quote Originally Posted by PalouseDogs View Post
    I don't crate my dogs in the house, and I did potty train my golden with pee pads. I left her in the bedroom during the day with pee pads on the floor and under the throw rugs. Between 8 weeks and about 3 months, I came home at lunch and let her out into the yard. By 3 months, she could make it 9 hours without pooping (but not peeing), so I quit coming home for lunch (couldn't afford to keep using an hour of annual leave a day.) So, she would usually leave a piddle puddle, because you can't expect a puppy to go that long without peeing. I'd toss any wet throw rugs into the laundry in the evening and change the used pee pads. At about 4 months, maybe 4.5, I forget, there was no piddle on the floor one day when I got home. Nor the next day, or the next. After a week of no piddling in the house, I picked up all the pee pads, and that was the end of that.

Obviously, I'm in the minority these days. But, I think there are potential huge problems with crate training. If you have to be gone for many more hours than a puppy can go without "going", then they HAVE to go in their crate. Do it often enough and the pup learns to tolerate sitting in its own urine or excrement. Also, if the puppy has a bout of diarrhea (not uncommon in puppies), they're stuck in a crate messing all over themselves. I'd rather come home and launder a rug than come home to a miserable puppy coming in feces.

YMMV
    Ultimately isn't that method a good way to come home to a shredded couch at some point or are you saying you transition to crate after housebroken?
    We shoot dogs with a Canon

My dog would have the pee pad shredded before I even left the house.
    Renee P