The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FF saves the day again

Default FF saves the day again

Had 15 month old yellow female great desire just a smart dog. She would fetch fairly frozen bird clean like you see often. Break out the fresh meat and play time began like none I'd seen before. Not eat the bird but try rip it to pieces instantly. After A month long battle I'm happy to say she'll fetch a live bird like she should. Don't understand why some folks are so against the technique to clean up a retrieve and make these retrievers do what they do.

Congrats are in order. Good job in letting your dog understand.

Nice!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've had the privilege to FF bout 20 dogs this was the first dog I was correcting such a rouge attitude. For all the pros do u hesitate to take a dog with such a problem or is it always corrected with FF

Always is a pretty strong word but to answer your question, in my experience, the vast majority of these problems can be fixed with FF. Those are the types of dogs that its no fun to go through the process with sometimes but they are usually fine once through. Whether they have desire or not after they have been taught to retrieve well, that's a different story altogether.
    Last edited by Tony Marshall; 01-06-2014 at 10:06 PM. Reason: typo

That's a good point Mr. Tony you've had dogs that u battled to retrieve correctly in the yard and caused a lack of desire taking the fun out of it for the dog I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by JL82 View Post
    That's a good point Mr. Tony you've had dogs that u battled to retrieve correctly in the yard and caused a lack of desire taking the fun out of it for the dog I suppose.
    Not exactly. I have had a lot of dogs that don't have a lot of desire to begin with and that may be part of the problem. Other trainers I'm sure will tell you the same thing. Sometimes when a client brings the family dog for training they are just tickled that the dog will pick up a duck for them. You can get dogs like that retrieving after the FF process but they are never going to have the amount of style as say a dog that loved retrieving in the first place. Better men than me have said that you can condition the retrieve but you can't force style.

Gotcha get these low desire dogs to complete the retrieve but not with the style we all like to see from a quality desired retriever.

When u get the family Fido after u get the OB settled and the dog is still slow on even fun bumpers Ex. Loves to sprint to them but doesn't really care to pick it up more times than not. Is that dog u would attempt to fix with FF?

Quote Originally Posted by JL82 View Post
    When u get the family Fido after u get the OB settled and the dog is still slow on even fun bumpers Ex. Loves to sprint to them but doesn't really care to pick it up more times than not. Is that dog u would attempt to fix with FF?
    IMO no...You have a challenge ahead of you. The ace in the back pocket would be fresh birds and see.....