The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Not your typical swimming photo

You did the right thing. Get well soon Tanzy! Thanks for sharing. Take care.
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83047
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83051

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

A little update on Tanzy: today, she stood on her own! She has made huge progress, she still cannot walk without help, but the surgeon had told me it would probably be a month before she could stand on her own. She's also now able to roll onto her sternum (from either side) and partially sit, and she "seal flops" to move around. She is coming home Wednesday...which will be 2 weeks to the day after she injured herself, and less than 2 wks. since her surgery.
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

Julie, that is wonderful news! So happy to hear Tanzy stood on her own! What spirit and determination she has! A true Chesapeake in every sense of the word! Hugs to you both!

Good news to hear. Please keep us informed. Tanzy....Hang in there....

Thought I'd post an update on Tanzy. It's now been just over a month since she was paralyzed in an accident that left 2 ruptured vertebrae in her neck and had surgery to repair the damage. She spent 5 days in intensive care and another week in intensive rehab and was up and walking, albeit unsteadily, when she came home right before Thanksgiving. The first week or so she was home, I had to use the harness (see photo) to help her balance, but we've continued rehab on an outpatient basis, including laser therapy and acupuncture.

Tanzy no longer needs the harness and is nearly normal other than some balance issues and a funny gait, but I'm very happy with her progress (especially after the rather huge sum this has cost). She's way ahead of where the surgeon expected her to be, since he said it would be 4 to 6 weeks before she'd be able to stand and walk on her own. We're confident she'll recover, maybe not fully but she's already enjoying herself and has to be watched around the other dogs as she's always loved rough play. Panda is her self appointed "guardian" and of course old Puffin who at nearly 14 is too old to be rowdy. Incidently Puffin's been getting laser and acupuncture treatments, too and she's perked up and can navigate the stairs, something she hadn't been able to do for awhile. Tanzy may never be able to hunt or run any more hunt tests, and will always have to be walked with a harness not a collar, but I'm OK with that.

TanzStand_0327.jpgTanzTeamPuffDER0324.jpgTanzWalkinH_0292.jpg

Great to hear Tanzy is doing much better and well ahead of schedule. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to both of you.

Good on you and Tanzy!!
    Great news Julie, & thanks for the update
    Keep up the good work

Hi Juie,

How is Tanzy doing? been a couple weeks since your last post......-Paul
    there's no good reason to fatten up a retriever.

Thanks for asking, Paul. Tanzy is doing really well, she's not 100 percent and it's very obvious to me her gait and balance are different than a normal retriever's but I'm really thankful for her amazing recovery. She still has some problems on slick surfaces with her legs sliding around and when she shakes, she loses her balance sometimes but overall, if you didn't know her you'd have to look really hard to notice anything different. We took a break over the Christmas holidays but she starts back up with the outpatient rehab next wk. with the treadmill and laser/acupuncture. Incidently I've been taking old Puffin (almost 14) with her to get laser/acupuncture and she, too has really improved and gained some badly needed muscle tone in her rear and can now navigate steps easily, something she hadn't been able to do for awhile. I'm a believer in rehab now!

Thanks for the update Julie. My best wishes for Tanzy's complete recovery. I have thought about the 2 of you frequently since your first post about her injury. Kudos to you for doing all that you can for her!-Paul
    there's no good reason to fatten up a retriever.