The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: visual aids

Default visual aids

I know years ago many people used white buckets while doing pile work and pattern blinds. My question is why have people gotten away from it now? I have a dog that is 7 months old and I had a prob with force to pile with her. She would run bout 30 yards great but if I moved back any further she would act confused. So I would mark the pile again and she would run great 2 times then Would pop because of confusion. So I pulled out my old white buckets. And now she is 75-100 yards with no problems. She will go hard and never checks up anymore. Just courious why we I quit using them.
    Proverbs 3:5-6

Or is it just me that has quit using buckets?

some still do.
    many do not.
    it is a crutch.
    at some point you have to take the pail away.
    and then work through the issue anyway.
    it is very much like FF on a table.
    at some point you need to go to the ground and teach it all over again so.....
    why bother?
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Ken that is why I don't use table anymore either. But looking back on all my notes over the years I have never had a prob with using buckets and up to this point I have never had prob not using them. Idk what to do as far as to use or not to use. I mean we use white bumpers amd poles and that is a visual aid for dogs. Is that not the same? We are trying to build confidence in dog to leave our side with out seeing a fall right? Thx again Ken.

Quote Originally Posted by slick phillie View Post
    Ken that is why I don't use table anymore either. But looking back on all my notes over the years I have never had a prob with using buckets and up to this point I have never had prob not using them. Idk what to do as far as to use or not to use. I mean we use white bumpers amd poles and that is a visual aid for dogs. Is that not the same? We are trying to build confidence in dog to leave our side with out seeing a fall right? Thx again Ken.

You are correct, but we stopped using any visual aids years ago, because it bailed the dog out. We wanted to train the dog to think and remember the task at hand , not "look for the bucket"..We want the dog to look out and see the imaginary line, follow that line until you either step on a bird or I whistle and tell you to turn in a different direction

we can all guess as to how the white bucket started...it was more out of convenience. trainer goes out carrying a bucket of dummies dumps them in a pile and turns the bucket over to remember where they planted that pile..Cool

Go to a non descript field and out their a white plastic bag flies across the field and lands 40 yds from the blind..at 200 yds that bag looks a lot like your white bucket, where is the dog headed to ?

Success builds confidence, not the sight of a white bucket
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    You are correct, but we stopped using any visual aids years ago, because it bailed the dog out. We wanted to train the dog to think and remember the task at hand , not "look for the bucket"..We want the dog to look out and see the imaginary line, follow that line until you either step on a bird or I whistle and tell you to turn in a different direction

we can all guess as to how the white bucket started...it was more out of convenience. trainer goes out carrying a bucket of dummies dumps them in a pile and turns the bucket over to remember where they planted that pile..Cool

Go to a non descript field and out their a white plastic bag flies across the field and lands 40 yds from the blind..at 200 yds that bag looks a lot like your white bucket, where is the dog headed to ?

Success builds confidence, not the sight of a white bucket
    X2 Very well said.

Traffic cones and plastic stakes are used by pro's today. They may be used as you say as a crutch but also for confidence especially on long blinds say out to 400 yds. Stakes on a water pattern pond is extremely helpful on fine lines. Stakes or cone can also be used on chair blinds. We still do cold blinds. But for every cold blind I probably do 20 stake pattern blinds. A close friend and Pro told me the story of another pro that had qualified a dog for the national's. As time drew nearer the dog seemed to be getting stale and not running hard on his blinds. He re introduced the cones. End of story he won the Nationals that year. You be the judge. Sometimes it's tough to keep the attitude up all year.
    PINE RUN'S BIG GUN*** U.D.,W.C.X.
    OTCH SHANNON SHAMROCK WCX
    SHANNONS FLYING REDHEAD CDX, WCX
    MAGICS MARKING RED RICO CDX, WCX

Thx for the input. So when u do plie work u don't put out white bumpers? What is differems in a bag blowing around field and we have trained with white bumpers early on? I have had this happen and dog did suck to bag but it was handling well enough that i pulled it off bag. Well hech even throwing marks they will pull off line on them. Not trying to be complicated but trying to wrap my head around this.

Quote Originally Posted by big gunner View Post
    Traffic cones and plastic stakes are used by pro's today. They may be used as you say as a crutch but also for confidence especially on long blinds say out to 400 yds. Stakes on a water pattern pond is extremely helpful on fine lines. Stakes or cone can also be used on chair blinds. We still do cold blinds. But for every cold blind I probably do 20 stake pattern blinds. A close friend and Pro told me the story of another pro that had qualified a dog for the national's. As time drew nearer the dog seemed to be getting stale and not running hard on his blinds. He re introduced the cones. End of story he won the Nationals that year. You be the judge. Sometimes it's tough to keep the attitude up all year.
    Bingo!!!! Ask Jimmy Gonia......or Dave Thompson.
    Jim Weitzel
    Proud member of Ole Roy prostaff

I train with a couple pors over the years that use visual aids. I don't see it as a crusth. It very well maybe but I have had success with it. I total agree that success creates confidence. But in think visual aids help dog be successful.