RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Total GDG Rat Trap Bait

5K views 26 replies 21 participants last post by  HPL 
#1 ·
Beginning to have a bit of a rat problem around the place. Anyone have a fool proof bait for rat traps? Thanks!

#2 ·
I know sunflower seeds are the choice of mice.

#4 · (Edited)
dead mackerel fish for rats....spinning coke cake smothered in peanut butter over a five gallon Home Depot bucket (I shop at Lowes) with 2.5 gallons of water

#7 ·
What's spinning coke cake? How do you stick it to he trip lever on the Victor trap?

HPL

#8 ·
oops spinning coke CAN dang auto correct on the galaxy4....look it up on you tube, and you just put the lid on and dispose of in your chosen way...the mice drown if you havent figured out the trick

#12 ·
Peanut butter alone or peanut butter mixed with oats.

Rats or mice? Rats are considerably smarter than mice. They may learn to avoid traps they see other rats get caught in.

Put your traps perpendicularly across runways, if you can see tunnels through grass or hay or droppings marking regular routes. If you don't see obvious runways, put the traps next to a vertical structure like a wall, with the killing end facing the wall. Rats and mice don't like to run across open areas. If they have a choice, they will run at the base of a vertical structure, which helps protect them from predators.

They very best anit-rodent strategy is to get rid of their food sources. If you have a bird feeder, put it away for a few months at a time. No open garbage cans, no open containers of pet food, no dry pet food left out all day for free-feeding.

Pick up dead rodents with gloves and drop them quickly into a plastic bag, and seal the bag to avoid getting bitten by fleas that might carry plague. Don't let the dogs eat the rats, which might have ingested rat poison.

#19 ·
Yeah, but what do you do with the JRT once the rats are gone?

#16 ·
Cheese. A piece cut off about 1/2"x 1/2" Open the metal trigger part that holds the cheese with a small screwdriver and really push the cheese on. It will stay on for a long if you have the right kind.

#18 ·
This IS TEXAS. I'd be getting out the '06 if I didn't think that the neighbors would complain ;-) . I will say that rats are smart. Several years ago, I had some coming to my bird feeder during daylight! I started shooting them with a pellet gun. Great sport, but I made the mistake of shooting one when there was another one on the feeder. The second rat ran off, and I never saw them in daylight again. Finally just quit feeding the birds.

#21 ·
Fruitabu fruit flats (Target has their own brand of them now). It was the only thing that would catch the mice in the traditional traps in our house. We tried cheese and peanut butter with no success. My brother had trouble with a mouse shortly after we did and couldn't catch it with anything he tried; first night with a fruitabu and he had his mouse.

#25 ·
I used the Aussie Brand licorice marionberry flavor last year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.