The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Immune Mediated Hemolytic Anemia

Default Immune Mediated Hemolytic Anemia

11/16/13 Has struck our Yogi: Her immune system has gone hay wire and is attacking itself. She has had 4 blood transfusions in 24 hours. Her platelet counts remain low. There appears also to be some internal blood loss. Yogi is 9 years old and has never been sick 1 day in her life.
    We went and visited her yesterday and she cried to come home with us. It absolutely breaks my heart knowing we are doing everything we can with very little progress. It's what we Dad's do...we "fix stuff"
    We covet your prayers as we know the One to turn to in this difficult time. He is the Author and the Finisher of our Faith. He is the Great Physician/Healer and is the One we have our trust in. He cares about the things we care about and listens to our every prayer. We don't always get what we want(ask for) but we get what we need.

This appears to be a rare disease called IMHA which stands for Immune Mediated Hemolytic Anemia. I won't tell you what I call it
    60-75% of IMHA don't have apparent causes. Complications of IMHA are Thrombolic Disease which are results of clots formed that cause obstruction and leads to death.
    Yogi is in the fight of her life and all we can do has been done. Now we await the results of this last transfusion that was completed @ 4 A.M. and time will tell. Please pray for my family. We need peace that surpasses all understanding. That Peace only comes from Him.

11/23/13 They have her on Doxycycline, Azathioprine, Prednisone. Her appetite is all but gone but she is still drinking tons of water. We have her home now resting in a controlled environment. Gums are still pale (1 week later) and extremities are swollen. We really are at a loss. The Emergency Vet Hospital CVS here in Murrieta want to keep trying more blood transfusions but I am leery because of the danger and the cost is unbelievable. There was no result in the 4 transfusions and her platelet count remains dangerously low @ 12000. All of her blood work came back negative of the Tick related stuff and has left us searching for answers.

Has anyone had success in treatment of this?

Yogi's Dad
    For God so loved the world...He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever would believe on Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
    Believe!

I just researched the old posts here on IHMA. Not Good.
    Last edited by goosecaller; 11-23-2013 at 04:41 PM. Reason: Spelling
    For God so loved the world...He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever would believe on Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
    Believe!

I have no advice...only prayers for healing, wisdom and peace
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com

Maybe Nick Steen will sign on. One of his dogs when through this last year and survived.

Laurie

I hate to bring up more expense, but removing the spleen can sometimes be curative. You might want to discuss it with a veterinary school hospital if you are close to one. Are you near UC Davis?

Barb Gibson
    with
    CH Rosewood Little Giant UDX VER RA SH MXP MJP OFP VCX WCX CCA CGC FFX-OG
    also UCH HR UUD UJJ URO1 UHIT
    (golden retriever) born 3-10-07
    a.k.a. "Tito", "The Tito Monster"
    www.GoTeamTito.com

Here's one small study:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19691510

We almost lost my 8 year old (human) daughter to IMHA. They told me at that time that, since the actually killing of the red cells happens in the spleen, a splenectomy would cure her if she didn't respond to the very high dose steroids immediately. There is very little research about it in dogs, but what little there is does tend to show the same results as in humans.

Sending prayers and good thoughts.

Barb Gibson
    with
    CH Rosewood Little Giant UDX VER RA SH MXP MJP OFP VCX WCX CCA CGC FFX-OG
    also UCH HR UUD UJJ URO1 UHIT
    (golden retriever) born 3-10-07
    a.k.a. "Tito", "The Tito Monster"
    www.GoTeamTito.com

Yogi's dad,

I'm going to send you and Yogi my best positive wishes. We beat this some time back.
    Fifteen years ago Devon, a 10 month old male was taken back by the breeder from an owner unable to care for the dog. She convinced us to take him home and work on his training. He was a beautiful big boy, who by 2 was close to a 100 lbs.
    He enjoyed training and hunting and by 5 had earned his HRC Seasoned title. We were working towards his HRCH and had been doing some hunting when I noticed his energy level lacking. I took him to the vet and RBC was low, I remember about 14000. We started him on prednisone since the vet suspected what he called CAHA. Canine auto-immune hemolytic anemia. Weekly blood tests showed very little improvement. We discussed tick panels and did a very basic one. He was negative. We upped the prenisone and started Azathioprine. I don't remember if we were doing doxy but probably were. On the vets suggestion we did not do any further tick panels or transfusions. His RBC slowly started to come back up but he had no appetite. He lost a lot of weight. Went from 95# to 75# in a few months. When he ate his stools were very loose. We tried all sorts of food. Finally found that he would eat watery oatmeal and hard-boiled eggs. He stayed on Prenisone and Azathioprine for the next year and a half as his RBC slowly came up. It never reached normal levels though.
    Obviously his HT days were over but he did hunt with me occassionally in his later years. As his RBC came up slowly we began to wean from the Prednisone and Azathioprine. His weight only came back slightly. After a couple years he was able to go back to a normal diet. He became a house dog, but did have problems with hematomas on his ears that healed very slowly.
    After his return to a normal diet I would sometimes offer him oatmeal. He hated it. He did however, come running to the kitchen when he heard the crack of a hard-boiled egg on the side of the sink and was known to steal one from the counter on occasion, but he would hold it in his mouth and deliver to hand for the shell to be removed.

We put him down a couple years ago at 13 when his arthritis became so extreme he was no longer ambulatory.

I put his ashes under a grove of ponderosas at the ranch were he did some of his best retrieves.

There is hope for Yogi. If the "Dev" could do it so can Yogi.

H&M
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift

They say she won't survive surgery with her platelets so dangerously low. They also said removing the spleen hasn't been very effective in dogs.
    This is an awful disease. Thank you for your help.

We tried oatmeal and eggs for her tonight and she now is getting too weak to stand. She really isn't drinking much water tonight either.

I feel so helpless.

Thanks to all of you for your words of encouragement,

Steve
    One Sad Dad
    Last edited by goosecaller; 11-23-2013 at 08:22 PM.
    Believe!

My dog had this. We think she got it from Lymes. She is toally fine now.

what is her PCV count? I think my dogs count got down to around 12.

http://www.retrievertraining.net/for...-Anemia-(IMHA)
    Last edited by j towne; 11-23-2013 at 09:52 PM.

My heart and mind are racing, reaching out to comfort ....... no knowledge here ...... prayers and wishes for Yogi to turn the corner and begin to recover ...... I know the feeling of helpless! Yogi knows you love her and you're doing all you can and then some ...... hold her, hug her, kiss her, love her ..... she knows you are there for her. Again, prayers and wishes of good health sent your way.