The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hypothermia

Default Hypothermia

At what point (temp wise) should You start worrying about it. My dog is almost 9 Months old and it's starting to get cold around here. Being that he is a big boy and still growing, I probably won't buy a dog vest this year. He went on his first hunt Monday and did great so I will be taking him more when our second season comes in. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by CodyC View Post
    At what point (temp wise) should You start worrying about it. My dog is almost 9 Months old and it's starting to get cold around here. Being that he is a big boy and still growing, I probably won't buy a dog vest this year. He went on his first hunt Monday and did great so I will be taking him more when our second season comes in. Thanks.
    Hi Cody,

Your post triggered me to make this thread a "sticky" again for the hunting season: http://www.retrievertraining.net/for...761#post234761

Please check it out.

To me, it is not about what the air or water temperature is. It is about how much exposure your dog is having to factors that would decrease body temperature.

If you're not going to buy a vest, consider a propane heater, wool blankets, dry places to set your dog whenever not in the act of a retrieve, etc.

Please read the thread that was just made a sticky for the year. I think you can pick some ideas from that.

Here's another thought: If you think you may need a vest that your dog may outgrow, the cost of the vest is probably less than one trip to the vet. And you can sell it on the classifieds as barely used - or just keep it for the next dog who fits it.

Good luck!

Chris
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

Thank you all very much

Had a close call this weekend. Sent pup in for a bird. Splashing, crashing and more splashing the chase was on.

It went on for a few minutes then I heard a yelp. I called to her and heard nothing. I knew something was wrong and headed in to the water to find out just what. She was hanging onto some clump of cattails surrounded by ice. I called to her again and she looked and struggled to move but couldn't. I had to make my way to her in almost nipple deep water smashing ice the whole way. when I finally reached her she had a few pieces of cattails lodged into her vest with large chunks of ice hanging from them.

I untangled her and tried to help her onto the ice, she struggled and it hit me. I threw her on my shoulder and carried her that way so that I could smash the ice with my butt-stock. By the time I reached the cattails her vest and fur had froze to my wool coat, it was only six feet to climb back into the cattails. I carried her to the field edge and set her down. She was walking very slow back to the blind. I tried to warm her up but all she wanted to do was dig a bed and lay down. Death was coming for her again if I didn't get into action. I got her up and we headed back to the truck, her pace slowly improved so we just kept walking till she was all back.

What I did was so stupid on so many levels. I put my own life in danger to save my pups. One misstep in that water and I most likely would not have been able to even make it to the truck by myself.. So is a lot of things in life. No bird is worth the feelings that I had in that half hour or so.

Buy the vest, heater and blanket. Your pup would do it for you.

I will be buying him a vest for sure. All these stories really put it in to perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by CodyC View Post
    I will be buying him a vest for sure. All these stories really put it in to perspective.
    Remember the key is keeping the dog dry. If dog is in water all the time....

It doesn't hurt to have some shamwow's in the blind bag to soak up excess water from the pup.
    The foundation to a great retriever is obedience.
    Firestorms Full Throttle Chevy aka Callie-Roo 7/5/2007 - 10/25/2013 I miss you every day
    Proud owner of Kona's Surfer Girl, aka Loki.

Quote Originally Posted by sick lids View Post
    Had a close call this weekend. Sent pup in for a bird. Splashing, crashing and more splashing the chase was on.

It went on for a few minutes then I heard a yelp. I called to her and heard nothing. I knew something was wrong and headed in to the water to find out just what. She was hanging onto some clump of cattails surrounded by ice. I called to her again and she looked and struggled to move but couldn't. I had to make my way to her in almost nipple deep water smashing ice the whole way. when I finally reached her she had a few pieces of cattails lodged into her vest with large chunks of ice hanging from them.

I untangled her and tried to help her onto the ice, she struggled and it hit me. I threw her on my shoulder and carried her that way so that I could smash the ice with my butt-stock. By the time I reached the cattails her vest and fur had froze to my wool coat, it was only six feet to climb back into the cattails. I carried her to the field edge and set her down. She was walking very slow back to the blind. I tried to warm her up but all she wanted to do was dig a bed and lay down. Death was coming for her again if I didn't get into action. I got her up and we headed back to the truck, her pace slowly improved so we just kept walking till she was all back.

What I did was so stupid on so many levels. I put my own life in danger to save my pups. One misstep in that water and I most likely would not have been able to even make it to the truck by myself.. So is a lot of things in life. No bird is worth the feelings that I had in that half hour or so.

Buy the vest, heater and blanket. Your pup would do it for you.
    and if you have to rescue your dog leave your gun in the blind, can always get another.
    The foundation to a great retriever is obedience.
    Firestorms Full Throttle Chevy aka Callie-Roo 7/5/2007 - 10/25/2013 I miss you every day
    Proud owner of Kona's Surfer Girl, aka Loki.

Is there an average temp associated. I've read several articles on this subject, but they never seem to mention what temp it actually was.

Like this week in LA, we're looking at some steady 32 (without) windchill factor. 24^ with windchill.

This seems like a temp that our dogs may not be used to, but are capable of dealing with. I've hunted with dogs in this range and never seen any dangerous symptoms or signs.

So what temp is the temp to (really) watch for?