The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dog's Weight, Ideas ?

Default Dog's Weight, Ideas ?

Lab 2 1/2 yr old 80#, dog shows ribs, feeding him 6-8oz cups a day of 26/18 .BTW he is a pacer in the kennel

If I put him on a 30/20 would I cut his feed back ? Seems like 48oz of feed a day is a lot ?

My other dog is 60# and she does fine on this feed at 3-8oz cups a day

Thanks
    Last edited by 43x; 11-25-2013 at 12:26 PM.

30-20 has a more calories than; 26-18. The higher Fat content should result in less feed needed to maintain same weight. That said dogs are individuals and some boys need large amounts of food to maintain weight regardless of what you feed. They will usually need it until their metabolism slows down, that usually happens from 3-6 yrs. I have one took until he was 5 yrs. to be able to maintain weight, I never thought he would slow down, 6 cups a day 30-20 mix (AHHH), but now he's down 2 a normal 4 cups (I guess age eventually catches up to us all )
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Quote Originally Posted by 43x View Post
    Lab 2 1/2 yr old 80#, dog shows ribs, feeding him 6-8oz cups a day of 26/18 .BTW he is a pacer in the kennel

If I put him on a 30/20 would I cut his feed back ? Seems like 48oz of feed a day is a lot ?

My other dog is 60# and she does fine on this feed at 3-8oz cups a day

Thanks
    Carbs and protein have equal number of kcals per gram of food (dry weight). Fat has 9 kcal per gram of food (dry weight). So if you go to a food that has a higher ratio of fat, you will supply your dog with more kcal for a given weight of food.

If your dog is at a good weight now, you should be able to feed him less by feeding a food higher in fat. If he is underweight, the higher fat content will help put some pounds on him.

Edit: My 60 lb bitch was eating 5+ cups a day for awhile, she'd loose weight on some feeds, but maintain it on others that had identical nutritional profiles. Some foods are more digestible than others, and so you might also feed less or get some weight gain by switching to a food that your dog digests better.
    Last edited by mitty; 11-25-2013 at 02:01 PM.
    Renee P

Stop the pacing...that will help. I'd either crate him or else put several strategically placed used tires and/or timbers in his run, making it hard for him to follow a set pattern. I had one who'd pace until his pads were bleeding, and then he'd pace some more. I finally had to crate him.
    Sharon Potter

www.redbranchkennels.net

Chesapeake Bay Retrievers...too many to list.

Team Huntsmith

Quote Originally Posted by Sharon Potter View Post
    Stop the pacing...that will help.
    Completely agree! I have two youngsters that despite eating more than anyone else, had ribs visible... "forcing" them to rest in a crate for 3-4 hours mid-day really helped.

Give him 30/20 and up his feed.

My 5 month old pup is eating at least 4 cups of it a day and sometimes more.

I am trying to plump him up a little but he is still very lean and 55lbs. Probably gonna up it to 5 cups a day pretty soon, different dogs need different feeds and it will change over time, or so I have been told, hopefully it happens soon because a bag of food sure goes quick at 4 cups a day lol!

I do not believe that it is uncommon at all, for an active 2 year old 80# dog to require 6 cups of high octane "rocket fuel" food daily, in order to maintain weight.

The feeding charts on the bag, are aimed at lethargic, couch potato, pet dogs.
    Last edited by copterdoc; 11-25-2013 at 11:47 PM.

Pacing is a large contributor to being lean. Try to control that. When I have had lean dogs I would give them, beyond the recommended, the additional food after training in the morning. But after a lengthly cool down period. For the additional food I use a high performance food. Then I would feed the recommends amount at the normal feeding time in the evening with the rest of the dogs.
    Last edited by Wayne Nutt; 11-26-2013 at 04:45 AM.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired

Quote Originally Posted by brandon a View Post
    Give him 30/20 and up his feed.

My 5 month old pup is eating at least 4 cups of it a day and sometimes more.

I am trying to plump him up a little but he is still very lean and 55lbs. Probably gonna up it to 5 cups a day pretty soon, different dogs need different feeds and it will change over time, or so I have been told, hopefully it happens soon because a bag of food sure goes quick at 4 cups a day lol!

I don't think a 55lb, 5 month old pup would be considered lean. Mine was born July 9th and is around 25lbs. I know it depends on the parents, but just saying that seems pretty big!

Quote Originally Posted by Denver View Post
    I don't think a 55lb, 5 month old pup would be considered lean. Mine was born July 9th and is around 25lbs. I know it depends on the parents, but just saying that seems pretty big!

Maybe "very lean" was an overstatement, as he def is not "skinny", but he did look a little skinny to me for a while, this is him at 4 months old and around 40 pounds.
    I dont like my dogs to look lean, I hate seeing rib cages and things like that, but he gets a lot of exercise. He had finally filled out pretty good when this pic was taken.