The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: pup fetches fresh dead but not frozen birds

Default pup fetches fresh dead but not frozen birds

My 7 month old boykin went on her first duck hunt yesterday, and fetched great. Got two wood ducks from her with no issues, she marked em, retrieved them and delivered to hand great. Now today I took her in the back yard with those same birds that are frozen, and she wants to play with them and shake them and won't bring them back to me. Is there any reason she'd be doing this besides her thinking the back yard is a play place? She fetches dummies great in the back yard. I'm just not sure what the change is for her from fresh dead to frozen, or if that's the issue at all. Anyone got any advice?

When were you planning on starting formal Basics? It's time. If you aren't through with force fetch you don't have all your tools yet, so don't make a big deal out of frozen birds. Basics takes about 6 months, but you'll have tools for a lifetime.

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

Quote Originally Posted by zsimp07 View Post
    I'm just not sure what the change is for her from fresh dead to frozen,
    or if that's the issue at all. Anyone got any advice?
    Teach her how to fetch what you tell her to. Not what she wants to.

it may be the duck gods punishing you for freezing wood ducks to use for training birds rather than eating them.

but yeah, listen to what evan said.

Quote Originally Posted by zsimp07 View Post
    My 7 month old boykin went on her first duck hunt yesterday, and fetched great. Got two wood ducks from her with no issues, she marked em, retrieved them and delivered to hand great. Now today I took her in the back yard with those same birds that are frozen, and she wants to play with them and shake them and won't bring them back to me. Is there any reason she'd be doing this besides her thinking the back yard is a play place? She fetches dummies great in the back yard. I'm just not sure what the change is for her from fresh dead to frozen, or if that's the issue at all. Anyone got any advice?
    The issue is you're giving her a "ducksicle" to play with instead of a duck to retrieve. Dead thawed birds fine, frozen birds verboten. You didn't shoot those woodies frozen - it's true they may get "refrigerated" where they fall, though no worries as a Boykin will

warm them and warm to the task to bringing them back. But to repeat: No frozen birds for training.

MG

I am almost in the same boat as you but I have a different opinion. I took my 8 month old lab on his first hunt last week and he did great. He retrieved 4 of the 6 woodies we shot. BUT, I have noticed, when training with actual dead ducks, he performs great (as great as a 8 month old can do) IF you have him out of his comfort zone; NOT THE YARD. Once you put him in his yard, and try to train with the dead ducks, he all of a sudden he forgets everything.

Take the dog somewhere unfamiliar and work with it.

I believe that this is just the young blood coming out of them and they are still very curious. As they mature and get more hunts under their belts, they will understand what it's all about.

I use frozen birds for training frequently. The dogs like them much better than bumpers. In Alabama a frozen bird stays cold much longer in the August heat. I never pre thaw ducks.

Without FF I wouldn't have a clue as how to address the issue.
    Mark Land

I kind of figured it was something strange to her with the bird being frozen, plus the back yard part too. She's always behaved better in the field training. I was just working with the time I had and the place I had. I'll take her out in the field from now on for bird training and thaw those birds out. Wood ducks from now on are going on the table, mergansers will be dog training birds. Thanks guys, you just kind of confirmed my suspicions. And yes formal OB is coming up. I've got a month break between semesters at school to really get her squared away.

put an ice cube between your teeth, hold it there a while, and the reason she doesn't want to fetch frozen birds will become obvious to you
    Darrin Greene

Why do you want her to fetch frozen birds? Thaw them out.