The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Eli Haydel- RIP

Default Eli Haydel- RIP

Eli Haydel, founder of Bossier Cityís Haydelís Game Calls and a lover of all things outdoors, passed away last night in his sleep, according to his son, Rod Haydel.

Haydel, who suffered a stroke a few years ago, had been ill for the past month. The family will meet on Tuesday to set funeral arrangements, which are expected to be Friday and Saturday.

An inductee into the Ark-La-Tex Museum of Champions, the Louisiana Sportsmanís Hall of Fame and the Legends of the Outdoors Hall of Fame, Haydel was known worldwide for his hunting exploits.

A native of Raceland, La., Haydel loved duck hunting, became a champion caller and formed his duck-calling company in 1981, caressing it into one of the most successful businesses in northwest Louisiana. Sons Rod and Kelly Haydel are now active in the business.

During his hunting career, which took a hiatus only during his stroke-recovery year in 2005, Haydel hammered ducks below Lake Charles with a number of celebrities, including Will Clark, Steve Bedrosian, Bert Jones, Larry Nixon, Tommy Casanova and former Los Angeles Rams All-Pro Jack Youngblood.

He became an accomplished musician playing the saxophone at the Cowboy Church in Greenwood and at the Rose Park Baptist Church on Buncombe Road in Shreveport.

Thank you Mr Haydel for making the DR-85 and all that you have given to the duck hunting world - RIP
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

My hunt test duck was Haydell call until recent when I went pink .

I never knew him personally, but bought two of his calls. Talked to him on the phone pre-internet, (at least before I had it), he talked me into the DR-85. I thought I lost that call years ago when I noticed it on my hunting buddy's lanyard. I recognized the chew marks from when Yoda was a little pup around 1998. Great call, my buddy does it proud.

John

Eli Haydell firmly made his mark in the waterfowling world.

My deepest condolences to Rod, Kelly and the rest of Eli's family and friends.

Chris
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

I personally met Eli in a sportsman's show in Seattle years back when the King dome was still there. I bought a modified DR-85 cocobola from him in which he tuned it for me there. On the tuning insert was initials. I still have that call and use it to present day.
    He will be missed. A legacy.....

what a great guy he seemed to be. i judged a "meat calling" contest with Mr. Haydel at "du great outdoor show" in memphis in 1995 and we had fun. if a drake gets downwind his little calls are as good as it gets!
    john mccallie